[May 22, 2019] 🔵 Trials of Decimation Guide & Teams – Share Yours & Discuss!

It’s time for Trials of Decimation!

This is the 7th of the Trials in the 4th Cycle!

NOTE: The Trials officially start at 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT).

If you do not see the Class Trial in Quests as of 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT), force quitting and reopening the app or restarting your device will usually work.

:beginner: Overview

Classes Bosses Monsters
Fighters & Wizards Balthazar, Elena, Oberon, Ulmer :fire: :new_moon_with_face:
Red/Fire & Purple/Dark

:heart: Final Boss HP

Version 20: Each Boss in Stage 3 has 4339 HP

:sweat: History: Increased Difficulty of the Final Stage

Click for Archive of Version 19 vs. Version 20 Final Stage Difficulty

According to the Version 20 Release Notes, the Final Stage of Class Trials was made harder:

We’ve now been through a full cycle of the Trials since then, so we’ve seen those changes in action, particularly in Final Boss HP, where it’s most directly observable.

It’s also possible, however, that other adjustments were made to Defense or Attack, or to the monsters prior to the bosses.

Trials v19 HP v20 HP Increase
Strength 3907 4080 173
Fortitude 4195 4195 0
Mysticism 4051 4396 345
Serenity 3907 3907 0
Survival 3619 3907 288
Piety 4195 4195 0
Decimation 4051 4339 288
Nature 3763 4051 288
Shadows 3763 3907 144
Justice 3763 4051 288

:dart: Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking

For many players who can get through the monsters to the Final Bosses, but struggle to beat the Final Bosses, carpet bombing/item nuking the Bosses is a viable strategy.

Click for Guide to Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking for Trials of Strength

If you plan on carpet bombing/item nuking, focus on surviving until the Bosses, and don’t worry too much about counteracting them, particularly if you’re going for a full nuke them from orbit approach.
Use your item slots for your attack items, and any remaining slots for health.

Battle Item Damage Reference

Battle Item Forge Level Direct Damage Max DoT Max Total
:dragon_face: Dragon Attack 16 400 132 (requires playing 6 turns between each attack) 532
:bomb: Bomb 12 300 0 300
:hammer_and_pick: Axe 8 200 0 200
:bow_and_arrow: Arrow 4 100 0 100

Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking Strategies

Strategy Direct Damage Additional Damage Required for Stage 3 Bosses
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 3x 4100 239
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 4000 339
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x 3500 839
:dragon_face: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 3000 1339
:dragon_face: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 2500 1839
:dragon_face: 5x 2000 2339
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 3000 1339
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 2500 1839
:bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 2000 2339
:bomb: 5x 1500 2839
:hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 1500 2839
:hammer_and_pick: 5x 1000 3339
:bow_and_arrow: 5x 500 3839

:school_satchel: Recommended Items for Trials of Decimation

Click for Recommended Items for Trials of Decimation
Stage(s) Item Explanation
2, 3 Antidotes Oberon in Stages 2 and 3 causes DoT, and Ulmer in Stage 3 causes a defense debuff, which can make Antidotes useful, particularly if you don’t have Wizard Kiril to at least overwrite the defense debuff.
All Mana Pots Because healer options are relatively plentiful for Trials of Decimation, healing pots may be less necessary. You may prefer mana as a safety net, in case you’re having trouble charging a healer at a key moment.

Be mindful that all forms of mana pots can be difficult to sustain production of with frequent usage.
1, 2 Time Stops Wizards and Fighters lack dispellers, which can make Elena’s Wall of Swords a bit more troublesome. If your team isn’t strong enough to weather that buff, Time Stops can be an effective — albeit resource expensive — approach to preventing Elena from firing, and providing you more opportunities to manage the board to charge specials and do damage.

Be mindful that Dragon Bone can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.
All Banners Banners are always a good option for increasing defense and/or attack.
All Revive or Miracle Scrolls Revive or Miracle Scrolls can be an effective option if your team is on the weaker side, and the little extra boost will get your through.

Be mindful that Midnight Root, Orichalcum Nugget, and Meteor Fragments can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.

A helpful reminder from @Gryphonknight:

:world_map: Guides

:cookie: @Mariamne’s excellent overview of the Trials of Decimation

Click for Mariamne's Guide

TrialsDecimation_3

If you need it, @Mariamne’s full guide to the Trials and Hero Classes is here.

@madmarv’s Video Tutorial Using Classic 4* Heroes If Possible

Click for madmarv's Video Tutorial

@madmarv has been doing a video tutorial series for each Trial, attempting to use only classic 4* heroes if possible.

Hero Class Quest Tutorials using minimal items and ONLY 4-star Classic Heroes from Training Camps - #44 by madmarv

:ballot_box: Polls

How did you do last time on Trials of Decimation?

• Last time I beat all 3 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first stage
  • Last time I wasn’t playing yet, or was unable to beat any stages
  • Last time…I’m not sure, they’re all a blur
0 voters

How did you do this time on Trials of Decimation?

• This time I beat all 3 stages
  • This time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • This time I beat just the first stage
  • This time I couldn’t beat any of the stages
0 voters

Did you need to use a lot of items this time on Trials of Decimation?

(hat tip to @JAWS_3D for this question)

• Yeah, I nuked the bosses from space. Ripley would approve.
  • I used some items to finish off the bosses, but it wasn’t the full arsenal
  • I used support items like mana, banners, healing, and maybe a battle item or two, but nothing too crazy
  • I just used some minor items, like healing, mana, or antidotes
  • I didn’t use any items
0 voters

Overall, how do you feel about Trials of Decimation?

(hat tip to @Rapisu for inspiring this question)

• I love all the Trials equally :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • It’s definitely my FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I like it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s about average for me
  • I dislike it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s definitely my LEAST FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I hate all of the Trials, give me my Emblems and let me get back to farming :rage:
0 voters

:left_speech_bubble: Share Your Team & Results!

Post your team in a comment down below, and how you did!

:dizzy: Special Questions for Trials of Decimation

• Trials of Decimation has some good healer options — did you bring any healers?

• Fighter Boldtusk and Wizard Kiril are hugely helpful for their mix of buffs and healing. Kiril is particularly helpful as a counter to Boss Ulmer’s defense debuff. Do you have either, and did you bring them?

• The Wizard Class has several excellent mana controllers with Proteus, Merlin, Onatel, Hel, and Guinevere. They can be an excellent approach to preventing the Bosses from firing in the first place. Do you have any of these heroes, and did you bring any of them along?

:grey_question: Standard Questions for All Trials

• Did your team change notably since last time?

• Did changes to your team make the Trials any easier or harder?

• What items did you use, if any?

• What are you doing with your shiny new Emblems?

• If you beat Stage 3, who’s eating the 3* Trainer Hero?

• Anything else interesting to share?

:link: You may also be interested in these older threads from previous times Trials of Decimation occurred:

5 Likes

Bought a WE refill to get the trainer for Melendor, who is the only non maxed in my tournament def.

At the end of my video you can see my account stuck in a buggy loop, which is already solved.

My team was wierd this time, but ok. No strong colors against the bosses. 2 Protos did the job and Missy is a cool miss. None of the bosses got charged even once.

Let’s fetz :wink:

4 Likes

Easy going as usual in this trial.

My motto: Mana? You wouldn’t get any and if, I suck it off! :smile:

Not a single SS I had to take :+1:

3 Likes

Passed through all enemies very easily this time, as I can use Onatel, Elena, Magni, Sartana, Kiril, all maxed…

2 Likes

My team last time:

My team this time. I’d hoped to have Panther all grown up, but 4/68 will have to do, I suppose.

With all the wrecking and rolling I’d done on stages 1 and 2, I figured that I’d try being brave enough to go in without the full bombing arsenal. Bit of a long fight, but got through it pretty well with just bombs and arrows to debuff the bosses and antidotes to clean off Oberon and Ulmer if need be. Going in, locked and loaded:

Merlin was the MVP again because he kept Ulmer locked down, and he never fired. Had some close calls on a few bad RNG hits, but nothing several minor healing couldn’t fix.

And the screenshot before the final cleanup. Just blew the gem and kitty cat did some scratches, and Balthazar bit the dust:

Indeed I did! Kept the team topped off and hitting hard.

As aforementioned, Merlin was MVP for shutting down Ulmer.

Guardian Panther growing up allowed her to pull her weight better, and the elemental defense down helped mitigate having to field a weaker color in this trial. Other than that, troop levels and talent nodes went up, but nothing too major.

Used them all, but brought minor healing, antidote, bomb, and arrows, the latter mainly for the debuffs.

Merlin sadly was exactly one token short of going up a node, but him, Boldy, and Kitty Cat enjoyed the noms.

And thanks again for the link and thread zephyr!

3 Likes

Last time Boldtusk was 2/11
Kiril in for Ulmer

4 Likes

Here’s my team this time. Only difference from last time isI benched Yunan for Poseidon

3 Likes

Cleared stage 1 and 2 with this all fighter team. Could attempt to carpet bomb stage 3, but will probably use my WE elsewhere with Farholme Pass up and Atlantis coming up…

3 Likes

You should be able to finish both Farholme and Stage 3 before Atlantis if you want to…

3 Likes

Last time…

This time…LOST last level first time around because i got too cocky trying to not use items!
I really think Colen made the difference!
Gonna use him for my second try. I can’t believe i wasted 20 WE! Ha!
Just waiting a few more minutes for my 20 to be back then I’ll beat it!
Forgot to bring in antidotes!

4 Likes

Same team same strategy
Used 1 antidote
Went at the boss with full HP full mana 3 minions each and 1 diamond was fairly easy and board helped finish everything fast
Trainer went to Tiburtus as am working on extra teams for 4 stars at the moment
Didnt decide where am gonna spend my emblems gonna wait till after atlantis

3 Likes

That’s my team. Had to use some of the items. mostly health and mana pots, and a few bombs and dragon attack to debuff their attack and give them a burn. Proteus was a key figure here, and with two healers it was pretty good. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Proteus went down but the team won.

3 Likes

My Team Last Time

My Team This Time

I forgot to screenshot from the Trials screen, so this is a recreation, and has Proteus up a node from the start.

The Battle

This one was so straightforward with 2x Proteus that there was literally 1 turn that the Bosses didn’t have a Proteus mana block on them.

This screenshot with just a few minor healing used pretty much sums it up:

Shiny New Emblems

Proteus gained +2, and Boldtusk got +1.

Click for Screenshots and Stats

A snack for later

Merlin will get the Trainer Hero, but he’s currently at 1-38, so he needs to wait until second ascension so he can take advantage of the XP without hitting the 1-40 cap and wasting it.

6 Likes

My team for this trial is the definition of top-heavy, to wit:

• Onatel 3^70
  • Poseidon 3^53
  • Valen +18
  • Gato 3^50
  • Balthazar 3^50

Poseidon has grown up a lot since last time, and Balthazar has replaced Ulmer 3^50 for the sake of durability and color variety.

I had very little trouble with either of the first two stages. A few small healing potions to Gato in the mob waves, but that’s it. Killed all the bosses of both stages before they could fire. None of my team died.

I have not attempted the final stage, and I probably won’t this time. I have some nice advantages (Onatel’s mana control, double yellow stack against two purple bosses), but I know from experience that, without healers available, I’ll have to use a ton of items just to keep my 3-stars alive through the mob waves, and then I’ll probably have to carpet bomb to finish the trials because the bosses will obliterate my 3-stars anyway, reducing the number of targets for Balthazar to fry. Not worth it, since my fighter emblems right now would go to Valen, and my wizard emblems are just pilling up, waiting on a wizard worth using them on (that I can actually max). Also, I need the WE for Farholme today. +1 talent for Valen, and I’m done for this round.

If I had either Boldtusk or Kiril (ideally both, obviously), I think I’d take the shot and probably be able to finish the final stage. They are 1 and 1a on my most wanted list.

4 Likes

Could this be the major change ever in the history of E&P and the biggest leap forward? :thinking:
It’s incredible how much things can change in only A MONTH with a fortunate Atlantis pull [last April 25 - which gave me for only 200 coins Proteus and Poseidon]. They even get the Atlantis defense bonus. Worked hard, maxed both finished Boldtusk and almost finished Kiril and BAMMMM from 3000 TP to almost 3700. :joy:

April 17 team was:

May 22 - today team was:

I flew through this trial with only 3 minor mana potions used, its incredible how much of a difference you get with an almost maxed team, where last time i kinda struggled and used a lot of items as you can see in the first screen.
Kiril gonna probably eat the 3* trainer hero.

Peace!

8 Likes

That is tremendous! Congratulations!

I also pulled Poseidon last month, I got him to his final ascention last night. I am waiting to the last hour or so, to get him as leveled as I can prior to taking this one on.

2 Likes

Anzogh and Valen died on the first wave, without real surprise.
Then, it became a Proteus fest.
The monster waves weren’t scary as Kash’s healing was sufficient to keep everyone full
Used 3 bombs/arrows/axes and all my potions for the bosses
Proteus and Hu died when the bosses were at 1% health, more or less as i couldn’t get enough purple tiles. Cleared them with a last bomb.
Proteus ate the emblems and the fighter ones are waiting for a legitimate candidate.
Rigard got friend with the trainer and they plan to party hard :partying_face:

5 Likes

Team unchanged from last time. My roster is very strong with Wizards and Fighters, so much so, for the Wizard/ Sorcerer class trial I would normally field a team of 5 Wizards. The only change from last time is that Hel is now fully maxed (she was sitting around 4.40 when the trial came around last)

As you can see here, my team is focused on pure Mana denial with Proteus, Hel and Onatel ensuring that Ulmer, Oberon and Balthazar never fired once while Boldtusk and Kiril healing and powering up their specials. Proteus accidentally got killed towards the end of the fight when I was not paying attention and should have healed up, but by then the fight had pretty much been won.

Fighter emblems go straight to Boldtusk who now sits at a proud +13. I’m saving up my Wizard emblems for the moment. Trainer hero is staying in the bank until I get a good hero to level.

2 Likes