[May 5, 2019] 🔵 Trials of Fortitude Guide & Teams – Share Yours & Discuss!

It’s time for Trials of Fortitude!

This is the 2nd of the Trials in the 4th Cycle!

NOTE: The Trials officially start at 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT).

If you do not see the Class Trial in Quests as of 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT), force quitting and reopening the app or restarting your device will usually work.

:beginner: Overview

Classes Bosses Monsters
Clerics & Druids Boril, Brienne, Horghall, and Vivica :leaves: :snowflake:
Green/Nature & Blue/Ice

:heart: Final Boss HP

Version 20: Each Boss in Stage 3 has 4195 HP

:sweat: History: Increased Difficulty of the Final Stage

Click for Archive of Version 19 vs. Version 20 Final Stage Difficulty

According to the Version 20 Release Notes, the Final Stage of Class Trials was made harder:

We’ve now been through a full cycle of the Trials since then, so we’ve seen those changes in action, particularly in Final Boss HP, where it’s most directly observable.

It’s also possible, however, that other adjustments were made to Defense or Attack, or to the monsters prior to the bosses.

Trials v19 HP v20 HP Increase
Strength 3907 4080 173
Fortitude 4195 4195 0
Mysticism 4051 4396 345
Serenity 3907 3907 0
Survival 3619 3907 288
Piety 4195 4195 0
Decimation 4051 4339 288
Nature 3763 4051 288
Shadows 3763 3907 144
Justice 3763 4051 288

:dart: Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking

For many players who can get through the monsters to the Final Bosses, but struggle to beat the Final Bosses, carpet bombing/item nuking the Bosses is a viable strategy.

Click for Guide to Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking for Trials of Strength

If you plan on carpet bombing/item nuking, focus on surviving until the Bosses, and don’t worry too much about counteracting them, particularly if you’re going for a full nuke them from orbit approach.
Use your item slots for your attack items, and any remaining slots for health.

Battle Item Damage Reference

Battle Item Forge Level Direct Damage Max DoT Max Total
:dragon_face: Dragon Attack 16 400 132 (requires playing 6 turns between each attack) 532
:bomb: Bomb 12 300 0 300
:hammer_and_pick: Axe 8 200 0 200
:bow_and_arrow: Arrow 4 100 0 100

Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking Strategies

Strategy Direct Damage Additional Damage Required for Stage 3 Bosses
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 3x 4100 95
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 4000 195
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x 3500 695
:dragon_face: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 3000 1195
:dragon_face: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 2500 1695
:dragon_face: 5x 2000 2195
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 3000 1195
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 2500 1695
:bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 2000 2195
:bomb: 5x 1500 2695
:hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 1500 2695
:hammer_and_pick: 5x 1000 3195
:bow_and_arrow: 5x 500 3695

:school_satchel: Additional Recommended Items

Click for Additional Recommended Items
Stage(s) Item Explanation
2, 3 Antidotes Horghall in Stages 2 and 3 casts an attack debuff — which can make Antidotes very useful.
All Mana Pots The abundance of healer options in the Cleric and Druid Classes can make mana pots useful to top up your healer when needed.

Be mindful that all forms of mana pots can be difficult to sustain production of with frequent usage.
All Time Stops Time Stops can be an effective, albeit resource-expensive, way of preventing Bosses from firing, and providing you more opportunities to manage the board to charge specials and do damage.

Be mindful that Dragon Bone can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.
All Banners Banners are always a good option for increasing defense and/or attack.
All Revive or Miracle Scrolls Revive or Miracle Scrolls can be an effective option if your team is on the weaker side, and the little extra boost will get your through.

Be mindful that Midnight Root, Orichalcum Nugget, and Meteor Fragments can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.

A helpful reminder from @Gryphonknight:

:world_map: Guides

:cookie: @Mariamne’s excellent overview of the Trials of Fortitude

Click for Mariamne's Guide

[/quote]

If you need it, @Mariamne’s full guide to the Trials and Hero Classes is here.

@madmarv’s Video Tutorial Using Classic 4* Heroes If Possible

Click for madmarv's Video Tutorial

@madmarv has been doing a video tutorial series for each Trial, attempting to use only classic 4* heroes if possible.

Hero Class Quest Tutorials using minimal items and ONLY 4-star Classic Heroes from Training Camps - #40 by madmarv

:ballot_box: Polls

How did you do last time on Trials of Fortitude?

• Last time I beat all 3 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first stage
  • Last time I wasn’t playing yet, or was unable to beat any stages
  • Last time…I’m not sure, they’re all a blur
0 voters

How did you do this time on Trials of Fortitude?

• This time I beat all 3 stages
  • This time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • This time I beat just the first stage
  • This time I couldn’t beat any of the stages
0 voters

Did you need to use a lot of items this time on Trials of Fortitude?

(hat tip to @JAWS_3D for this question)

• Yeah, I nuked the bosses from space. Ripley would approve.
  • I used some items to finish off the bosses, but it wasn’t the full arsenal
  • I used support items like mana, banners, healing, and maybe a battle item or two, but nothing too crazy
  • I just used some minor items, like healing, mana, or antidotes
  • I didn’t use any items
0 voters

Overall, how do you feel about Trials of Fortitude?

(hat tip to @Rapisu for inspiring this question)

• I love all the Trials equally :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • It’s definitely my FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I like it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s about average for me
  • I dislike it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s definitely my LEAST FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I hate all of the Trials, give me my Emblems and let me get back to farming :rage:
0 voters

:left_speech_bubble: Share Your Team & Results!

Post your team in a comment down below, and how you did!

:dizzy: Special Questions for Trials of Fortitude

• The Cleric and Druid Classes skew heavily toward healers — unlike some of the Trials, there are many to choose from. Did you bring any healers along?

• While having healer options is nice, the Cleric and Druid Classes are quite light on hitters. Did you find it hard to build a team with sufficient offensive power?

• Cleric Boril can be effective for killing boss Horghall by getting him to suicide on Boril’s riposte. Did you bring Boril along, and if so, did you find that an effective tactic?

:grey_question: Standard Questions for All Trials

• Did your team change notably since last time?

• Did changes to your team make the Trials any easier or harder?

• What items did you use, if any?

• What are you doing with your shiny new Emblems?

• If you beat Stage 3, who’s eating the 3* Trainer Hero?

• Anything else interesting to share?

:link: You may also be interested in these older threads from previous times Trials of Fortitude occurred:

4 Likes

Just started
Last time BW was 4/43
Elk was 3/70

2 Likes

Hawkmoon got kicked out to make space for Rigard. Then I replaced my fully trained Boril against Elkanen. He wasn’t quite there yet, so instead of increasing my damage I made it a bit harder for my self.
Stages took a lot of time since 3 tile colours were useless and I was missing the riposte against Horghall. I still will continue to use Elk instead of Boril; Hopefully at 3/70 next time.
On the other hand Rigard did a good job and helped me save some banners.
In the end I nuked them with my Dragons(all 5) and arrows(4). Also used some banners(1) and mana pots(2) to cleanse and dispel

Trainer hero is for Elkanen, though I plan on maxing Horghall first. Emblems go to the healers.

It’s my least favourite trial thanks to how defensive it is. Takes way to long and I’m always forced to use items.

3 Likes

Did all 3 with this team. Same as last time just some better troops; Zim still waiting for those last rings that will probably never come untill next Mount Umber. One Gandalf is embed, Boril is embed too.

Gandalf 1 4/70
Caedmon 4/70
Boril 4/70 +7
Zim 3/70
Gandalf 2 4/70 +7.
4 mana potions, 3 health potions, 2 bombs and one axe. Most items were used just because of the board, but its becoming already a classic having the tiles you dont need, in this case yellow and dark, at the boss fight no matter how well you prepare it before the last stage.

3 Likes

My Team Last Time

My Team This Time

Last time Brienne worked superbly for killing Vivica, so I ditched the heavy Battle Items.

Otherwise changes were minor, with more Emblems for Vivica and Melendor, and some troop upgrades.

The Battle

Click for Battle Details

The first two Stages were uneventful.

The monsters of the third Stage went easily too, and Brienne sped things up.

For the Bosses, I set off Horghall repeatedly intentionally so he’d suicide on Boril’s Riposte. That worked great, but somehow the second time did substantially more damage, and killed Brienne.

Doh. :man_facepalming:

I knew I’d be in for a haul, but I duked it out. It took a while, but eventually I killed Boril, and then ultimately Vivica.

It much took longer than it would have with Brienne alive to buff attack, but it also wasn’t as bad as the first time Trials of Fortitude happened and I basically got stuck.

I think it helps a lot that Melendor has a 795 attack stat now…

All in all, not bad. I should just bring Revive Scrolls and Bear Banners next time along with minor mana and minor healing to make sure I can use Brienne to speed things along.

Shiny New Emblems

I don’t have enough for Melendor to advance, but Vivica went to +4.

That’s it for her, I’m switching to Rigard now.

If I had it to do over, I’d have skipped using Emblems on my 5* at all. But for the 3 I used them on, I’m stopping at +4, and switching to 4* heroes thereafter.

A Familiar Face

I’m currently leveling my THIRD Melendor, who got a jumpstart with the Trainer Hero.

3 Likes

Before i used elkanen 3.70 now i use gaffar

2 Likes

Made it through my 1st try on the 3rd level with Team Power 2560;

Kailani +11 Mnesseus +1 Hawkmoon 3/50 Brienne +14 Belith +3

Small healing, axes, bombs and dragons. Had 2 axes and 14 SH left in the end.

2 Likes

This is my least favourite trials. I end up just carpet bombing on the final bosses. I don’t even have Boril on my one profile and it gets boring with two Melendors and Rigard!

4 Likes

All bosses nuked away to avoid an everlasting battle due to a healer heavy team.

Same team as last time, but more leveled. Trainer goes to mom 1. Emblems will be kept for her, too. Boril isn’t that often in use, so I will reset his talents for mum, if she’ll be maxed.

3 Likes

Rigard, Belith, and Gadeirus.

I have to rely on carpet bombing…

Yes, he kill Horghal. As killing the tree is easy, I can direct my offensive special skill against Vivica.

I use Mnesseus to replace Hawkmoon so I can get more firepower. This is the old team:

This is the new one:

I do spent exact same items as the last trials of fortitude, but last time I lost the first attempt due to Vivica, having more attacker make it easier to deal with her.

Spent items: 7 Healing Potions, 5 Arrow Attacks, 5 Bomb Attacks, and 2 Dragon Attacks.

Still no Caedmon/Melendor :sleepy:
Ariel will have a node but as I still want to focus on 4*, Rigard will have the rest.

Sonya… I have no green to be maxed. I start leveling my main heroes which I previously left at 4/50.

3 Likes

How much XP do you get from the most challenging trial? I’m 2500 XP away and want to time it just right.

The last stage gives 3400 XP, so it’ll throw you over.

Congrats on (almost) leveling! :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Same team as last time around other than my heroes are more levelled.
Team consisted of Alberich 4.80+2, Caedmon 4.40, Ariel 4.70, Melendor 4.70+6, Rigard 4.70+9. I am currently levelling Gadeirus but he is still too weak to run in this trio. This team was in no danger of dying and I always had a heal+ debuff/ cleanse at all times to counter Boril’s riposte, Vivica’s def up and Groot’s attack debuff. However the lack of true hitters meant the final battle took 20 minutes to complete.
I first took down Boril, then focused on Vivica (I did try to target Horghall first but Vivica kept healing him up to max). No items required, since I was at no risk of actually dying.
Saving the trainer hero for when Gadeirus is in his final ascension.

1 Like

No items used, woooohu first time

3 Likes

The team was the same as last time, though Zimkitha is now fully leveled.

I had a hard time with the final fight, it seemed to drag on forever, and I lost both Elk and Caed at one point (Ma North brought them back eventually). I could not seem to keep the Riposte dispelled, and I spent many turns with Horghall’s attack debuff. Two steps forward, one step back until I finally dropped Boril. Horghall went down soon thereafter, and I finished with the usual 5 minute Vivica fight.

I really need more damage for this fight. I am leveling Master Lepus, so perhaps he will be handy for next time. I am also close to finishing Tarlak (the 3* trainer took him to 77), I will start Hansel as soon as he is done.

Emblems are going to Ma North and Lepus (eventually).

1 Like

My team as nothing better available. G.Owl replaced Kailani compared to last time.(win only on second tier)
This time I made it with the full nuke strategy…costly. So screenshot is not correct concerning items.

Misclicked the poll above where I answered second tier only.

1 Like

My team only changed from last time with one exception : 3* Hawkmoon removed for 5* Elka. I had full :100: intention of carpet bombing, but has a change of heart the last second and used mana potions instead of axes…

Ultimately I won …it wasn’t bad as I thought it would be. Used 6 (small) mana pots and 1 of each other item …which isn’t too bad.

3 Likes

Went with Vivica 4.60-Hatter 3.57-Caedmon+7-Mnesseus-Rigard+9.

Viv was around 3.50 and Hatter was around 3.10 (I think) last time. Keeping Mnesseus alive was the hardest part and it really wouldn’t have mattered much if he died anyway but with such low attack power I didn’t wanna lose anybody. Next time I should have Master Lepus up enough to use in his place (won’t take much to get him stronger than the mer-man) so that’ll be nice.

I used 3 medium mana (to heal Mnesseus) 1 large mana pot 4 bombs and 3 dragon attacks-didn’t wanna let Viv get her heal off. As usual, took me more items than I would like but definitely made it an easy fight. I must say, the more I use Hatter, the more I like him. This is one of the few occasions I get the chance since he’s not really ready yet but I’m looking forward to getting the 3 more tonics needed to finish him up.

The emblems are going into storage for now-I’m fine with Rigard where he’s at and may even strip him down at some point to boost Viv up, and the same goes for Caedmon. I’m undecided where I’m eventually going to use the druid emblems but I’d like it to be someplace more beneficial than on him. As for the trainer…that’s I think 5 3s now to go with the 1 4 I’ve got…probably to finish up Hatter sometime around Christmas lol.

On a side note, how do you actually type the asterisk, to use as a star, instead of having it change the way the next sentence is typed? Took me a second to figure out why it looked like that.