[May 19, 2019] 🔵 Trials of Piety Guide & Teams – Share Yours & Discuss!

It’s time for Trials of Piety!

This is the 6th of the Trials in the 4th Cycle!

NOTE: The Trials officially start at 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT). This post is scheduled to go live 2 hours earlier at 5:00:00 AM (05:00 GMT).

If you do not see the Class Trial in Quests as of 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT), force quitting and reopening the app or restarting your device will usually work.

:beginner: Overview

Classes Bosses Monsters
Clerics & Monks Joon, Vivica, Boril, Friar Tuck :leaves: :snowflake:
Green/Nature & Blue/Ice

:heart: Final Boss HP

Version 20: Each Boss in Stage 3 has 4195 HP

:sweat: History: Increased Difficulty of the Final Stage

Click for Archive of Version 19 vs. Version 20 Final Stage Difficulty

According to the Version 20 Release Notes, the Final Stage of Class Trials was made harder:

We’ve now been through a full cycle of the Trials since then, so we’ve seen those changes in action, particularly in Final Boss HP, where it’s most directly observable.

It’s also possible, however, that other adjustments were made to Defense or Attack, or to the monsters prior to the bosses.

Trials v19 HP v20 HP Increase
Strength 3907 4080 173
Fortitude 4195 4195 0
Mysticism 4051 4396 345
Serenity 3907 3907 0
Survival 3619 3907 288
Piety 4195 4195 0
Decimation 4051 4339 288
Nature 3763 4051 288
Shadows 3763 3907 144
Justice 3763 4051 288

:dart: Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking

For many players who can get through the monsters to the Final Bosses, but struggle to beat the Final Bosses, carpet bombing/item nuking the Bosses is a viable strategy.

Click for Guide to Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking for Trials of Strength

If you plan on carpet bombing/item nuking, focus on surviving until the Bosses, and don’t worry too much about counteracting them, particularly if you’re going for a full nuke them from orbit approach.
Use your item slots for your attack items, and any remaining slots for health.

Battle Item Damage Reference

Battle Item Forge Level Direct Damage Max DoT Max Total
:dragon_face: Dragon Attack 16 400 132 (requires playing 6 turns between each attack) 532
:bomb: Bomb 12 300 0 300
:hammer_and_pick: Axe 8 200 0 200
:bow_and_arrow: Arrow 4 100 0 100

Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking Strategies

Strategy Direct Damage Additional Damage Required for Stage 3 Bosses
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 3x 4100 95
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 4000 195
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x 3500 695
:dragon_face: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 3000 1195
:dragon_face: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 2500 1695
:dragon_face: 5x 2000 2195
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 3000 1195
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 2500 1695
:bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 2000 2195
:bomb: 5x 1500 2695
:hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 1500 2695
:hammer_and_pick: 5x 1000 3195
:bow_and_arrow: 5x 500 3695

:school_satchel: Recommended Items for Trials of Piety

Click for Recommended Items for Trials of Piety
Stage(s) Item Explanation
1, 3 Antidotes Joon in Stages 1 and 3 causes Blindness, which can make Antidotes useful, particularly if you don’t have a clearer like Cleric Rigard, Cleric Vivica, Cleric Kunchen, Cleric Ariel, or Monk Aeron.
All Mana Pots Because healer options are relatively plentiful for Trials of Piety, healing pots may be less necessary. You may prefer mana as a safety net, in case you’re having trouble charging a healer at a key moment. Be mindful that all forms of mana pots can be difficult to sustain production of with frequent usage.
All Time Stops Clerics and Monks are light on dispellers, which can make Boss Boril’s Perfect Riposte, Boss Friar Tuck’s Mana Buff, and Boss Vivica’s Defense Buff a bit more troublesome. If your team isn’t strong enough to weather those buffs, Time Stops can be an effective — albeit resource expensive — approach to preventing Bosses from firing, and providing you more opportunities to manage the board to charge specials and do damage. Be mindful that Dragon Bone can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.

Be mindful that Dragon Bone can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.
All Banners Banners are always a good option for increasing defense and/or attack.
All Revive or Miracle Scrolls Revive or Miracle Scrolls can be an effective option if your team is on the weaker side, and the little extra boost will get your through.

Be mindful that Midnight Root, Orichalcum Nugget, and Meteor Fragments can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.

A helpful reminder from @Gryphonknight:

:world_map: Guides

:cookie: @Mariamne’s excellent overview of the Trials of Piety

Click for Mariamne's Guide

If you need it, @Mariamne’s full guide to the Trials and Hero Classes is here.

@madmarv’s Video Tutorial Using Classic 4* Heroes If Possible

Click for madmarv's Video Tutorial

@madmarv has been doing a video tutorial series for each Trial, attempting to use only classic 4* heroes if possible.

[Apr 14, 2019] 🔵 Trials of Piety Teams – Share Yours & Discuss! - #22 by madmarv

:ballot_box: Polls

How did you do last time on Trials of Piety?

• Last time I beat all 3 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first stage
  • Last time I wasn’t playing yet, or was unable to beat any stages
  • Last time…I’m not sure, they’re all a blur
0 voters

How did you do this time on Trials of Piety?

• This time I beat all 3 stages
  • This time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • This time I beat just the first stage
  • This time I couldn’t beat any of the stages
0 voters

Did you need to use a lot of items this time on Trials of Piety?

(hat tip to @JAWS_3D for this question)

• Yeah, I nuked the bosses from space. Ripley would approve.
  • I used some items to finish off the bosses, but it wasn’t the full arsenal
  • I used support items like mana, banners, healing, and maybe a battle item or two, but nothing too crazy
  • I just used some minor items, like healing, mana, or antidotes
  • I didn’t use any items
0 voters

Overall, how do you feel about Trials of Piety?

(hat tip to @Rapisu for inspiring this question)

• I love all the Trials equally :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • It’s definitely my FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I like it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s about average for me
  • I dislike it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s definitely my LEAST FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I hate all of the Trials, give me my Emblems and let me get back to farming :rage:
0 voters

:left_speech_bubble: Share Your Team & Results!

Post your team in a comment down below, and how you did!

:dizzy: Special Questions for Trials of Piety

• Trials of Piety is relatively heavy on healer options — did you bring any healers? And were you able to find sufficient firepower amongst your Cleric and Monk choices?

• Monk Wilbur really shines for Quests and Trials, both for making survival easier, and for debuffing enemy defense. Do you have Wilbur, and if so, did you bring him along?

:grey_question: Standard Questions for All Trials

• Did your team change notably since last time?

• Did changes to your team make the Trials any easier or harder?

• What items did you use, if any?

• What are you doing with your shiny new Emblems?

• If you beat Stage 3, who’s eating the 3* Trainer Hero?

• Anything else interesting to share?

:link: You may also be interested in these older threads from previous times Trials of Piety occurred:

2 Likes

Last time my team was Leonidas 2/60, Kunchen 4/50, Wilbur 4/70, Joon 2/60 and Agwe 3/60

This time, I started the trial with Wu 4/70, Wilbur 4/70, Kunchen +4, Joon 3/50 and Agwe 3/60

But Wu’s misses were too obvious, so after the second stage, I benched Wu and Agwe for Leonidas still 2/60 and Rigard 4/70.

Apart from Wu’s tile damage, he was not of any help, Agwe helped out a bit on the red mob, but not impacting strongly on any of the bosses.

Wilbur was fantastic, making the mobs die quickly and reducing Boril’s reposte to mere patting. Leonidas tackled Boril and Joon, reducing their manas right on time and heals himself afterwards, then Joon kills them slowly.
Had to time Kunchen and Wilbur 's def debuff.

On the boss side, Joon and Friar Tuck’s resists made carpet bombing almost ineffective.

At the end, used 3 carpet bombs, 5 mana potions and 2 Dragon attacks.

The 3 star trainer hero will be sparring with Joon at higher ascension. The monk emblems will also go his way. Possibly Kunchen will eat the cleric emblems.

3 Likes

On my one profile i used Wilbur, Santa, Rigard, Gafer and Leo. I’m trying to get better at understanding how to use Wilbur.

I know Santa also does the defense down but I really took my time and was lucky I could use them individually, when needed.

I’m worried about my second profile though because I have Wu, Elk, Kunchen, Boril and Wilbur. I understand that Boril and Wilbur shouldn’t be used together.

Should I swap Wilbur for Li, Vivica or Rigard?

@Infinite any advice?

1 Like

last time my team was MN 80+3 Hensel 70 The Hatter 3/70 Kunchen 80 joon 3/70
this time i switched Kunchen with Ariel 80+1 the mana boost was an advantage but i think i will return to Kumchen next time as the defense down was really helpful but it was a good run

didnt decide yet for emblems but it will be from the above, and for trainer hero mostly will go to Musashi

I suggest you keep Wilbur and swap Boril for Rigard, you will need a red representation for tile damage against Friar Tuck, he’s about the toughest of the 3.

1 Like

You mean put Wilbur in and take Boril out?

I thought Boril was the highest recommended hero in this trial (of the 4 stars).

Yep, and yeah, but Boril on the attack side will only be effective against Boss Joon, for others almost none effective, whereas you need Wilbur to reduce Boss Boril impact on your team.

1 Like

I agree with @Oliz , I think Wilbur is more valuable here. You can use both if you prefer but I’d say Wilbur is more important.

I used Hansel for this one, so if you have him he is very nice too, to takedown the blue enemies

3 Likes

Thanks to you both. I’ll drop Boril and try Wilbur. I’m not talented enough (or brave enough) to try using them together.

I’m definitely trying for Hansel at my next chance!

Wrong Trials.

He’s most effective against AoE hitters, so Trials of Fortitude is where you’d want to use him to kill Horghall.

I’d say Wilbur, Wu Kong, Rigard, Hansel, Jabbar, Gafar, Valeria, and Li Xiu all have radically more useful roles to play for Trials of Piety than Boril does.

That’s literally every 4* Monk and Cleric except Agwe — and even he’d make more sense than Boril too, since an AoE hitter would be more useful than Riposte against two bosses that don’t have hitting attacks and one that hits a single target.

So I guess I’d actually say Boril is the 4* hero I would least recommend for Trials of Piety.

But again, he’s one of the ones I’d most recommend for Trials of Fortitude.

3 Likes

Yikes, this is the guide I’ve been using and recommending to our players.

According to this, Boril is recommended for the Piety trials as riposte against Joon?

1 Like

That guide is based on the premise that a player only has Classic Season 1 4* heroes and nothing else.

Boril can be used to kill Joon via Riposte, but it’s not a particularly easy strategy to undertake. Assuming you have Boril active when Joon fires, you still have a 40% chance he won’t even hit a hero with Riposte.

And once Joon is dead, Boril will do very little to contribute to the fight, since Friar Tuck and Boril won’t hit other than slash attacks, and Boril’s attack stat is low, and his tile damage against Friar Tuck will be weak.

Using only Season 1 4* heroes, Wu Kong is the most critical hero.

That guide says so too:

That’s pretty much me :grin::joy::rofl::smiley:

Except you have Wilbur, which completely obliterates the premise of using Boril. Wilbur plus Wu Kong is a much better strategy.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I did swap out Boril for Wilbur, struggled with crappy boards but managed to finish with the help of some battle items.

1 Like

I used Li Xiu, Elkanen(3/39), Leonidas, Rigard(+11) and Wilbur(+9)
The only change to lst time is Elkanen instead of Boril and a few more emblems

I almost completed the thanos challegne on the second stage

1 Like

My Team Last Time

My Team This Time

The Battle

Click for Battle Details

The first two Stages were easy, as expected.

Last time I finished without any items, so I thought this time would be fairly easy, but I actually had a really hard time, and took multiple tries and some reworking to finish.

I tried swapping in 4-70 Li Xiu in place of 3-70 Leonidas the first time, thinking some moderate mana control for all of the Bosses would be useful over Leo’s single target reduction, now that Li Xiu is maxed since last time. That might have worked well, but a couple (un)lucky hits against her back to back right at the start killed her. Things went downhill from there.

The second time I had a similar experience with Wu Kong getting killed immediately. Without his attack buff, I couldn’t kill the Bosses fast enough to overcome Friar Tuck’s healing, and I hadn’t brought any substantial items. Eventually I gave up and fled.

What finally worked as a safety net was bringing Time Stops to keep the Bosses from firing so I wouldn’t lose Wu Kong to a shot from Joon while Wilbur didn’t happen to be active. 3 of them and no other items was enough to make the battle easy.

Kind of a pain, and a waste of a WE flask (I have 66 more, so not really a big deal), but I think I’ll be set for next time. I could perhaps bring Revive Scrolls instead of Axes as an additional safety net next time, since Wu absolutely needs to be alive to finish with this team without carpet bombing.

Shiny New Emblems

Click for Explanation

Rigard went from 4-70 to +2, stepping up the first node after the first Stage. I’m excited to be giving him Emblems now instead of Vivica. (I’ve stopped giving any Emblems to 5* heroes at +4, and don’t intend to resume giving them Emblems in the foreseeable future…probably not until I’ve substantially upgraded at least 2 4* and 1 3* in each Class, as they’re more useful for Raids, War, and Raid Tournaments.)

Wilbur also stepped up a node to +16. That excitedly puts me only 24 Emblems away from getting him to +18, which is where I plan to stop and switch to Wu Kong. So by the next time Trials of Piety rolls around, Wu will be getting Emblems, if not before.

Click for Screenshots

CJ does The Jackal* …again

Same deal as the last yellow trainer:

Except now Jackal is at 4-56, stepping up 1 level thanks to the Trainer.

And I’m still wondering:

1 Like