🔵 [May 29, 2019] Trials of Shadows Teams – Share Yours & Discuss!

It’s time for Trials of Shadows!

This is the 9th of the Trials in the 4th Cycle!

NOTE: The Trials officially start at 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT). This post is scheduled to go live 2 hours earlier at 5:00:00 AM (05:00 GMT).

If you do not see the Class Trial in Quests as of 7:00:00 AM (07:00 GMT), force quitting and reopening the app or restarting your device will usually work.

:beginner: Overview

Classes Bosses Monsters
Rogues & Sorcerers Scarlett, Quintus, Skittleskull, Domitia :fire: :new_moon_with_face:
Red/Fire & Purple/Dark

:heart: Final Boss HP

Version 20: Each Boss in Stage 3 has 3907 HP

:sweat: History: Increased Difficulty of the Final Stage

Click for Archive of Version 19 vs. Version 20 Final Stage Difficulty

According to the Version 20 Release Notes, the Final Stage of Class Trials was made harder:

We’ve now been through a full cycle of the Trials since then, so we’ve seen those changes in action, particularly in Final Boss HP, where it’s most directly observable.

It’s also possible, however, that other adjustments were made to Defense or Attack, or to the monsters prior to the bosses.

Trials v19 HP v20 HP Increase
Strength 3907 4080 173
Fortitude 4195 4195 0
Mysticism 4051 4396 345
Serenity 3907 3907 0
Survival 3619 3907 288
Piety 4195 4195 0
Decimation 4051 4339 288
Nature 3763 4051 288
Shadows 3763 3907 144
Justice 3763 4051 288

:dart: Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking

For many players who can get through the monsters to the Final Bosses, but struggle to beat the Final Bosses, carpet bombing/item nuking the Bosses is a viable strategy.

Click for Guide to Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking for Trials of Strength

If you plan on carpet bombing/item nuking, focus on surviving until the Bosses, and don’t worry too much about counteracting them, particularly if you’re going for a full nuke them from orbit approach.
Use your item slots for your attack items, and any remaining slots for health.

Battle Item Damage Reference

Battle Item Forge Level Direct Damage Max DoT Max Total
:dragon_face: Dragon Attack 16 400 132 (requires playing 6 turns between each attack) 532
:bomb: Bomb 12 300 0 300
:hammer_and_pick: Axe 8 200 0 200
:bow_and_arrow: Arrow 4 100 0 100

Carpet Bombing/Item Nuking Strategies

Strategy Direct Damage Additional Damage Required for Stage 3 Bosses
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 3x 4100 0
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 4000 0
:dragon_face: 5x + :bomb: 5x 3500 407
:dragon_face: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 3000 907
:dragon_face: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 2500 1407
:dragon_face: 5x 2000 1407
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 3000 907
:bomb: 5x + :hammer_and_pick: 5x 2500 1407
:bomb: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 2000 1907
:bomb: 5x 1500 2407
:hammer_and_pick: 5x + :bow_and_arrow: 5x 1500 2407
:hammer_and_pick: 5x 1000 2907
:bow_and_arrow: 5x 500 3407

:school_satchel: Recommended Items for Trials of Shadows

Click for Recommended Items for Trials of Shadows
Stage(s) Item Explanation
All Antidotes Scarlett in Stages 1 and 3 and Skittleskull in Stages 2 and 3 both cause an attack debuff, which can make Antidotes useful, particularly if you don’t have Rogue Khiona to overwrite them.
All Health Pots Particularly if you lack Sabina for Trials of Shadows, healing pots are always smart to bring along.
All Time Stops Time Stops can be an effective, albeit resource-expensive, way of preventing Bosses from firing, and providing you more opportunities to manage the board to charge specials and do damage.

Be mindful that Dragon Bone can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.
All Banners Banners are always a good option for increasing defense and/or attack.
All Revive or Miracle Scrolls Revive or Miracle Scrolls can be an effective option if your team is on the weaker side, and the little extra boost will get your through.

Be mindful that Midnight Root, Orichalcum Nugget, and Meteor Fragments can be difficult to come by to make this a sustainable approach.

A helpful reminder from @Gryphonknight:

:world_map: Guides

:cookie: @Mariamne’s excellent overview of the Trials of Shadows

Click for Mariamne's Guide

If you need it, @Mariamne’s full guide to the Trials and Hero Classes is here.

@madmarv’s Video Tutorial Using Classic 4* Heroes If Possible

Click for madmarv's Video Tutorial

@madmarv has been doing a video tutorial series for each Trial, attempting to use only classic 4* heroes if possible.

Hero Class Quest Tutorials using minimal items and ONLY 4-star Classic Heroes from Training Camps - #46 by madmarv

:ballot_box: Polls

How did you do last time on Trials of Shadows?

• Last time I beat all 3 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • Last time I beat just the first stage
  • Last time I wasn’t playing yet, or was unable to beat any stages
  • Last time…I’m not sure, they’re all a blur
0 voters

How did you do this time on Trials of Shadows?

• This time I beat all 3 stages
  • This time I beat just the first 2 stages
  • This time I beat just the first stage
  • This time I couldn’t beat any of the stages
0 voters

Did you need to use a lot of items this time on Trials of Shadows?

(hat tip to @JAWS_3D for this question)

• Yeah, I nuked the bosses from space. Ripley would approve.
  • I used some items to finish off the bosses, but it wasn’t the full arsenal
  • I used support items like mana, banners, healing, and maybe a battle item or two, but nothing too crazy
  • I just used some minor items, like healing, mana, or antidotes
  • I didn’t use any items
0 voters

Overall, how do you feel about Trials of Shadows?

(hat tip to @Rapisu for inspiring this question)

• I love all the Trials equally :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • It’s definitely my FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I like it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s about average for me
  • I dislike it more than many of the Trials
  • It’s definitely my LEAST FAVORITE of the Trials
  • I hate all of the Trials, give me my Emblems and let me get back to farming :rage:
0 voters

:left_speech_bubble: Share Your Team & Results!

Post your team in a comment down below, and how you did!

:dizzy: Special Questions for Trials of Shadows

• Sabina is the only true healer available for this Trial, since Rumpelstiltskin only heals by chance. Do you have Sabina? Did you bring her along?

• How did you deal with Boss Scarlett and Skittleskull’s attack debuffs? Some possible options include Antidotes, using Rogue Khiona to overwrite the debuffs, using Sorcerer Mitsuko for mana control, using Sorcerer Ameonna to shed to status effects on herself, using Rogues Inari or Margaret to dodge the specials, or using Rogue Peters to silence.

:grey_question: Standard Questions for All Trials

• Did your team change notably since last time?

• Did changes to your team make the Trials any easier or harder?

• What items did you use, if any?

• What are you doing with your shiny new Emblems?

• If you beat Stage 3, who’s eating the 3* Trainer Hero?

• Anything else interesting to share?

:link: You may also be interested in these older threads from previous times Trials of Shadows occurred:

4 Likes

Last time Scarlet was 3/60
Musashi was 3/37
Used Ursena 2nd round and found she doesnt do much dammage to one hero

3 Likes

Chochin - Jackal - Margaret - Mitsuko - Cheshire

One of the worst trials for me as I have to use a not very leveled Chochin. Decided to carpet bomb the last level.

3 Likes

I keep saying this, but yeah this is hard without Sabina, especially when you start firing and two of the bosses dodge, they start firing and my Domi stays in place and accepts her fate.
Just a new entry [Ursena which did pretty good counting the numerous dark mobs and Domizia boss, died near the end].

1 Like

Holy rogue time :wink:

Nukeed the bosses. Ursena is still too weak, but fun. Athena had a nice meal. Not enough Emblems for a next level.

2 Likes

Still the same team since last time with Scarlett, Kelile, Sabina, Quintus(3/70) and Danzaburo.
No room for growth unless I want to waste mats on Quintus.

What annoys me a bit is that all my heroes are squishy. Sabina can’t keep them alive, so I used axes to finish Domitia off when only Danza was still standing. Also a lot of banners and antidotes against the debuffs.

1 Like

Last time. I have done a bit of leveling since then.

Alice is now 3/70 and Mitsuko is also 3/70. Peters will be the next 4* nature I max out.
Still up in the air if I’m going to give Mitsuko rings just yet. She’s a bit of a niche hero. I was going to, just because i didn’t have a viable sorcerer to give emblems to.
I however pulled Ursena from the Atlantis portal. That crazy lady came twice in my 30 pull and once on a single!
I have the mats for both, but gonna pull Ursena up to 3/70 and play with her a bit before i decide if she’s the one. Since she’s in the Atlantis family and I am already currently working on my Poseidon in his 4th tier for my 6th maxed 5* and Ariel is next after i get 1 more scope, it’s highly likely that I’ll max Ursena as my next dark 5*.
She won’t replace Sabina in the trials though. Sabina’s heal is just too much needed to get through with minimal pot usage.

Jackal got 2 new nodes of emblems.

Ariel ate the 3* trainer.

1 Like

This is my most stable team for any trial. Don’t anticipate changes until I do significant leveling on Domitia. They are:

• Sabina +9
  • Danzaburo +9
  • Skittleskull 4^70
  • Kelile 4^70
  • Kelile 3^60

Only changes from last time were more talents on Sabina and Danza, and Kelile the Elder went to max.

Pretty sure I could have put the first two stages on auto, except the AI would have wasted Sabina’s heal during the second stage. Third stage mobs were no problem, and I made it to the bosses with all items still in inventory and all specials charged thanks to a nice cascade to finish off the last mobling.

I decided to take out Skittleskull first, since she was the only boss without that annoying evade talent. I was aided with some serious tile damage from two or three combos that reached 10 or higher. With two fast mana Keliles, that’s a lot of Dances of Fire also. With Skittles down, I turned my attention to Scarlett, who thankfully didn’t proc evade all that often. Seems like she is the one who gets it the most when I fight her. Finished her with DoT. Honestly, I might not have had to use any healing items at all, but Domitia had a straight-up vendetta against Kelile the Elder; the first four times she fired her special, she targeted the heartier Kelile, and the last one finished her off. The only healing potions I used were to try and recover from those. No one else died en route to a straightforward victory with no battle items used whatsoever. Honestly, Domitia’s special was the only one I even noticed. Could be because my own Skittleskull fired enough times that the damage just wasn’t that noticeable. I’m a patient guy, so if it took longer to kill the bosses because Scarlett and Skittleskull lowered my tile damage, then so be it. Super easy; barely an inconvenience.

Sadly, both Sabina and Danza are on one of those pesky talent nodes that require 40 emblems to unlock, so no immediate benefit from the emblems. The trainer hero goes into the “turn Boril into Noble Weasel’s new tank” fund. Won’t you donate blue feeders today? For the low price of only two Olafs and a Sigrunn, we’ll send you a picture of Boril approaching his final ascension and maxing his special skill. (Apologies to readers who may not be familiar with the Feed the Children ads that are pretty ubiquitous where I’m from.)

2 Likes

I’ve brought this same team to this trial since the first one. I have no other 4* or 5* options leveled that could participate. I also don’t have any on the horizon that I anticipate leveling for this trial.

Both Sabina and Scarlett are from my first 4* team. Mitsuko and Khiona were my first and second fully leveled 5* respectively. Jackal was my consolation prize for not pulling Panther during my first Guardians event.

My #1 goal was to keep Scarlett’s debuff on them at all times. When I let it slip later in the fight, I got an unlucky double tap on Khiona, which took her out.

That really didn’t matter much, as I was able to finish Scarlett, and then Skittles, without too much trouble.

Perhaps next time I will bring bear banners instead of antidotes, since I would rather flip the debuff than just cleanse it.

Khiona is rotating out of my defense team, so no more emblems for her. I expect the Rogue emblems will go to Jackal. Mitsuko has been the keeper of the Sorc emblems, and I don’t see that changing any time soon. The trainer took Lepus from 76 to 77.

1 Like

Close call but made it without using all my items. Only 5 axes and 1 bomb and arrow in the boss fight.

Ameonna 4/70 +7
Skittleskull 3/60
Scarlett 4/1
Gill-Ra 3/50
Chochin 3/50

Scarlett MVP. Just ascended her, so going to get her to max and she’ll get the rogue emblems. Don’t know yet if I’m going to spend more emblems on Ameonna or keep them for something better…

EDIT: and forgot about the 3* trainer, who will be a delicious snack for Frida. Polar bear approves!

1 Like

Yes, I bring her along.

Really hate it… I just realize how annoying it is… I used to nuke them before but now that I have Scarllet I try to reduce the bombing ammount but is hampered by attack debuff from the bosses… Only Ameonna can espace it… I didn’t bring antidotes… :sweat:

Scarlett replacing Graymane.

Old Team:

New Team:

Easier as the bombing items used is reduced.

10 Healing Potions, 5 Arrow Attacks, 4 Bomb Attacks, 2 Dragon Attacks:

Waiting for Sabina & Scarlett.

Ariel.

2 Likes

thanks for the reminder, I was on auto-battle doing some S2 missions and almost forgot lol!

Have Aemonna as well but she’s not even at 3/60 yet. Gill-Ra is very slightly better than her right now (with that many emblems was to be expected)

Waiting for WE to refill, before I try last stage.

EDIT: GOT EM coach!! :slight_smile:

I switched Mitsuko for Aemonna lol. :ghost: form ended up taking Domitia’s skill multiple times to save the rest of my team, used 3 axes and 1 Dragon attack.

She was my only casualty in the boss stage too. Even Gill-Ra stayed alive and well.

2 Likes

Same team as previous, Scarlett 4/70, G.Jackal +6, Kelile 3/60, Sabina 4/70 and Skittles 3/60

Only difference here is Sabina, previously she was 3/60.

Items only at final stage : 2 arrows, 3 carpet bombs, 1 dragon attack and 5 healing potions. Got distracted and Skittles died mid way into the battle.

Banking the ice trainer till I have a blue project., same goes for both emblems , possibly the rogue would go to Inari when maxed, the sorcerer would wait for a worthy hero.

2 Likes

I used Scarlett +11, Sabina +9, Danzaburo, Kelile/Amoenna 3x60. I used some bombing stuff on the bosses on the last stage.

No items or continues needed this time. That Dodge ability is super-annoying but didn’t trigger as often this time around. Here’s my team

1 Like

I used an unmaxed Sabina, unmaxed Marjana, Gil Ra with family tree level 18, Dawa, family tree 19, unmaxed Ameonna and took Bombs, Dragons, Arrows and heal potions. My first time beating all 3 stages because of just getting Marjana

2 Likes

You have a Dawa with talent 19?
Cooooooooooool :+1:t4:

2 Likes

2/60 Alice
+7 Jackal
4/42 Kelile
3/60 Sabina
3/33 Danza
Scarlett attack down made the fight harder than it should have been. No enemy dodged anything, so it made things easier. Skittle fell first, then Domitia and finally Scarlett
Trainer for Sonya
Emblems for Jackal
Sorcerer are still unused

2 Likes