Balur – 5* Ice / Blue - December 2022 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

New HOTM Released for 2022 December: Balur

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Balur, as well as your thoughts on Balur.

Balur

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:snowflake:
Ice/Blue
Fighter
A
Average
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 836 828 1551
4/90 957 947 1775
Origin Family
Hero of the Month Legends 2022
Image Aether Power Description
attack-up Attack Up At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +20% attack for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:no_entry_sign: Resist: Resist Attack Ailments
Ths character has innate resistance against status ailments that affect attack.
:hourglass: Ability: Heal on Bleed
Ths character regenerates 50 HP each time an enemy receives Bleed damage.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Double Flail Mayhem
  • Deals 500% damage to the target.
  • The target receives 402 Bleed damage over 3 turns.
  • Element Link gives all Ice allies immunity to new Fiends for 4 turns. This effect cannot be dispelled.

All-in-one still under construction. Card image to be added when available.

:hugs: Family Bonus

Heroes become stronger when teamed with other unique Heroes in the same Family.

Legends 2022 Family
Bonus for 1 / 2 / 3 Heroes:

• +10% / +15% / +20% attack.

Bonus for 2+ heroes:

• Elemental Link affects all allies.

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

Jun 2023 (Big Balance Update)

Dec 2023

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

There appear to be no changes to Balur from last-seen Beta stats, skill, and design.

Beta Information: 🧪 Early information on the December 2022 HOTM -- Balur [Part of The Beta Beat V52]

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Balur ?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Balur.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Balur and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Balur worth summoning for?

• Would you use Balur on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Balur ?

• What heroes would you take when facing Balur as an opponent?

• Would you give Balur Fighter Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Balur’s character design?

• If you Summoned Balur and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Balur, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Balur when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Balur, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Balur (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Balur), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of HOTM.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

_Special thanks to @Garanwyn & @zephyr1 for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

7 Likes

Feedback Poll - Balur (post release)

:question: Is Balur worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Yes, but only when featured.
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Balur would be useful to keep & Level?

Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• Zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Balur’s Primary Purpose is?

• Damage Dealer (Immediate)
  • Damage Dealer (Over Time)

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Balur compared to other Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Balur’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match Balur’s Base Stats?

Note this means Balur’s Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Balur worth giving Fighter Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No I don’t think so
  • No… Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Balur is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Balur is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

Choose up to 3 options

:question: What do you think is Balur worth Limit Breaking ?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

:question: If you would emblem Balur then which Emblem Path would you select ?

• Sword path
    (Selecting Attack talent nodes when possible)
  • Shield path
    (Selecting Health and Shield talent nodes when possible)

0 voters

1 Like

That’s it??!!?? 450% direct damage and bleed? No “if hero has x HP, then damage increases”, or " if heroes has ailment/buff, then bleed increases", or “if special is fired during daylight, then something happens”?

Quite refreshing to have a simple straightforward card with no complicated conditions.

7 Likes

December Klearn :heart:

20 char.

18 Likes

Really poor. Klaern is feeling super powerful now !! An average sniper at 450% damage ??? Really ?? With bleed to just 1 yet it’s called a double flail ??? Where’s the double supposed to be?? Shud be like Zeke or Noril !!!

21 Likes

Average Ice Marjana/Sartana. Not wort maxing.

13 Likes

Almost feels like we are getting a new S1 hero here

26 Likes

Are Hotms simply in a poor state during months where we can use the EHTs?

15 Likes

At least we can burn this pathetic card during soul exchange.
Take a look at tons of OP heroes we got in last months, now take a look at this xD
I mean even some S1 heroes without costume can do better than this.

19 Likes

He could be “okay, I guess” if he was fast, and even then it would be something like Magni just with bleed and higher stats (unless it’s Magni with 2xC-bonus we’re talking about). But average speed? Instant meh.

Also, his name is one letter away from Baldur. Not much thought was put in him, apparently.

12 Likes

Really hope they fix this blue quintus.

4 Likes

Average speed

Fast speed

Just for comparison’s sake for my own eyes versus base Sartana and base Marjana.

So is SG’s thinking that the elemental link and 3 turns quicker dot justify a slower speed?

As for passives, the resist attack down is nice. Gaining 20 health on bleed is very unimpressive. If he gave bleed to all enemies, maybe it would be ok. If he were a barbarian, inflicting bleed with tiles or slash attacks on D, maybe it would be ok.

28 Likes

Pure food for Soul Exchange. The second worst HoTM of 2022.

10 Likes

Porqué todos tienen el mismo enlace elemental?
Deberían de variar a algunos porqué ése enlace sirve para muy poco.

Interesting.

I vaguely remember Silvaria getting similar hate early on. I maxed her anyway and use her most days.
I look at this one and see, not a superstar, but a functional hero that can synergize well with many others. I count 22 across my top 55 heroes(across colors)and 12 more in the bench mob that make this one work well.

Again, not a world beater, but if i got this one, i’d max it at some point. Today would be #4 in my ice queue.

And, because time and power CREEEP, lets not forget +80 base atkon 450%…

3 Likes

Khufu does this damage to all 5 heroes. Snipers simply are just not worth much anymore with the insane new heroes.

7 Likes

Meh, i’m almpst 4 yrs in. Have lots of snipers, use lots of snipers paired w/ DD/EDD heroes. Win more than i lose. Even bringing some off the bench because of synergies w/ the new heroes i do have.

And i dont have khufu, and i kill him more often than he kills my whole team…

If every hero was khufu-like this game would be boring. The fun(for me) is using what i have, to beat the world beaters.

6 Likes

I thought hero of the month should be outstanding and timeless, holding out on their own, and to have something unique about them. Imagine getting a hero only on par with S1 snipers, going into 2023. Hotm should be like employee of the month

12 Likes

You know this pile of garbage is bad when you’d rather take a S1 5* over him in 2022. Just embarrassingly dreadful and they know plenty of players will get him from their Xmas pulls.

4 Likes

Even Klaern is better. This one is the worst by a long way

7 Likes