Balbar – 5* Nature / Green - November 2021 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

New HOTM Released for November 2021: Balbar

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Balbar, as well as your thoughts on him.

Balbar

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:leaves:
Nature/Green
Druid
A
Average
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 821 814 1485
4/90 939 932 1699
Origin Family
Hero of the Month Legends 2021
Image Aether Power Description
attack-up Attack Up At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +20% attack for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:no_entry_sign: Resist: This hero has an innate resistance against status ailments that give immunity to new buffs.
:hourglass: Ability: This Hero recovers 5% health when they receive a buff.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Slumber Spores
  • Deals 300% damage to the target.
  • The target falls asleep.
  • While asleep, the target can’t attack or gain mana.
  • All damage dealt to the sleeping target is increased by 60%.
  • The sleeping target is woken once it takes damage. This excludes damage from Minions and Fiends.
  • Element Link gives +10% increase for any healing received for all Nature allies for 4 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.

All-in-one still under construction. Card image to be added when available.

:hugs: Family Bonus

Heroes become stronger when teamed with other unique Heroes in the same Family.

Legends 2021 Family
Bonus for 1 / 2 / 3 Heroes:

• +10% / +15% / +20% critical chance.

Bonus for 2+ heroes:

• Elemental Link affects all allies.

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

There appear to be no changes since Beta.

Beta Information: 🧪 Early information on the November 2021 HOTM -- Balbar

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Balbar ?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Balbar.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Balbar and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Balbar worth summoning for?

• Would you use Balbar on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Balbar ?

• What heroes would you take when facing Balbar as an opponent?

• Would you give Balbar Druid Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Balbar’s character design?

• If you Summoned Balbar and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Balbar, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Balbar when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Balbar, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Balbar (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Balbar), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of HOTM.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

_Special thanks to @Garanwyn & @zephyr1 for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

6 Likes

Feedback Poll - Balbar (post release)

:question: Is Balbar worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Yes, but only when featured.
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Balbar would be useful to keep & Level?
Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• Zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Balbar’s Primary Purpose is?

• Damage Dealer
  • Damage Increaser
  • Opponent Disabler (Sleep)

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Balbar compared to other Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Balbar’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match Balbar’s Base Stats?

Note this means her Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Balbar worth giving Druid Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No I don’t think so
  • No… Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Balbar is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Balbar is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

Choose up to 3 options

3 Likes

Don’t SLEEP on BALBAR! | How the heck do you use his special???

14 Likes

SG managed to bring 3 useless HOTM in one year. 2 of them Green(Elradir and Balbar) and one Purple, Chakolkfjdlklsd. If you add Salmon Loki then you get a quartet.
They are really baaaaad heroes.

5 Likes

I use Elradir a lot. Far from useless.

19 Likes

So in your opinion he’s worth the materials? I currently have to choose between Kadilen and him but wasn’t convinced on Elradir.

Buffffffffff . Balbar, Balbar, bufffff :weary::weary::weary::disappointed:

We sure know what we want S.G. ?
What does this hero have to be attractive as H.O.T.M. ?

Is that I can not understand this hero
Is it a hero to kill a Tank?
So why is he of average mana?
Cause 300% what tank can you kill with that?
The enemy disappears … And receives damage … if when he reappears the accumulated damage is high and kills him, why not do it from the beginning?
I don’t understand anything from a long time ago.

1 Like

would you mind sharing your usage? who you combo him with? I have one with some emblems and i honestly like him a lot but sometimes he kinda lacks something and I tend to use my 2nd lianna over him.

kadilen is one of the very very very few S1 legendaries who still can kick nicely. i’d pick her. luckily you’ll get her costume somehow soon. She also fits very well in todays meta.

The only use I see is to prevent a Magic tower or ninja in the wing to gain mana and delete all your team, or vs a double formation to sleep a Mother North. but I also think that there are a lot of heroes better than this wasted Melendor.

A more realistic sleep would be that the target will have reduced accuracy when waken up.

He’s pretty much a play on Zocc.

Mana control with a chance to last very long… but also be removed the same turn it was casted by accidental tile cascade.

Does not reset mana while Zocc does (if he isn’t resisted).

He might be useful late into the match when you don’t want something scary in wing to fire but you are desperately looking for tiles to charge your heroes making offcolor matches on the other side of the board. He’ll ensure that hero doesn’t go off even if charged, and chances of accidentally waking them up are rather low.

The increased dmg component is interesting new mechanic but in practice insignificant. Dealing 300% to one target as average hero is very, very low - you can just replace him with someone who deals more direct damage (or is faster) and likely your overall damage dealt will be similar if not better. For example, why making your Lianna increase dmg on hit from 800 to 950 when you can just take second Lianna and deal 800 dmg twice. And faster.

Elemental link - one of the worst, passives - pretty situational.

Overall - if he appears in small rosters, without many heroes and plans to summon, I can see him adding value there and being fun to use. Deep rosters, looking for optimalization will not find any new advantage in him, defiinitely not one worthy of tonics.

12 Likes

There’s a lot of good information in the Elradir thread.

But he’s a decent hit 3, has the reflect status which is situational but very good when that situation happens and whilst lower his mana buff isn’t terrible either. I use him with Frigg and Costume Francine. Hits hard. Equally good following Almur/Buddy too.

I want to thank SG for creating such useless heroes as I will not spend money on chasing them. LOL

3 Likes

I’m just looking forward to @Homaclese’s videos featuring Balbar and his deadly sleep skill! (Fingers crossed you pull him…) If anyone can showcase what an undervalued hero can do, he’s yer man.

10 Likes

HM. I see. Yes he hits decent (a decent who is far away from good) but then that’s it. He needs expensive heroes to be paired with like I’ve been thinking. He doesn’t do much on his own except for the mana boost which was… Nerfed.

I still like him a little but doesn’t sound like he will be much used. Thanks anyway.

Hah true but they don’t want you to chase their niche and weak current HOTM. They are just bonuses. They want you to chase their new event op heroes. :laughing: In the end of the day they don’t even care.

What about deleting a wing early? If the flank on that side is still alive it is relatively easy to keep that wing asleep for the majority of the game. Yes, a crazy cascade could wake the wing, but generally you could just play middle of the board and not really have that be too much of a threat

Being charged at average speed it’s not really early - wings may already be open for direct hits when tiles or your faster heroes took care of some of the front line. Also, he’d not combine well with aoe hitters where you just can’t opt out of hitting someone. Yup if you are careful, if you are lucky, if you select right heroes for the fight etc etc. too many ‘ifs’ for my liking. But it can work. Again, same like Zocc can work - fire him at the right time, reset someone’s mana, you’re safe for couple turns.

1 Like

Also worth noting that Balbar-> Lianna is a pretty reliable kill (if I’m doing my math right, I have been busy and haven’t dabbled much in beta)

You’d need Evelyn there or Eiora & Fluffy to guarantee a kill. My Eiora (emblemmed the attack path) was hitting for about 1300 after Balbar and his hit is about 400+. Current emblemmed defenses like Lidenbrock, Elizabeth, have about 1700.

2 Likes

Can we agree that if BOTH flanks are dead by the time your average hero is firing, the match is going pretty well for you?

This is undeniable, but I don’t know what AoE is being used that can’t just be fired before Balbar. Something like a Frigg or cKad would charge simultaneously with Balbar and could just be fired first. If they’re ready to fire a second time before the enemy is awakened, Balbar is also ready again (and you’re likely dominating the match). I guess it might discourage use of Horghall or Bertila, but they aren’t heroes that see a ton of use. If you’re running 3/2 you might have to build a more sniper or hit-3 heavy team, but it doesn’t seem to be too huge of an ask.

I don’t think playing middle of the board or opposite side requires as much luck to pull off without a stray tile landing in the wing slot as you are assuming (if the flank isn’t dead). It does require somewhat careful/calculated tiling, but the tradeoff is removing a wing from the game.

Balbar is significantly better than Zocc, IMO. Zocc suffers from a bit of an identity crisis as he encourages you to target a hero you cannot kill, but also requires you to intentionally charge them in exchange for a tiny bit of additional damage to a random target (a dangerous game of chicken if you don’t quite fully charge them).

I am not saying that Balbar is OP or one of the top heroes in the game, but I’d bet when all is said and done he’s an above average hero that can improve a lot of rosters of people willing to think outside of the box. His self-heal whenever buffed is also going to make him deceptively durable.

1 Like

That’s true. Stupid limit break. I don’t know that I’d be trying to nuke a wing from 100%-0%, and at average speed it isn’t too far fetched to see a situation where a flank has been hit with a tile or two and is in kill range. I still think that his strongest use case is to take a wing out of commission.