đŸ§Ș Early information on the December 2022 HOTM -- Balur [Part of The Beta Beat V52]

NOTE: Please do not, under any circumstances, share IMAGES OR VIDEOS from Beta in this or any public Forum thread. Violations can cause players to lose their Beta accounts, or threads to be closed down.

This thread is to provide early insights and discussion on the December 2022 HOTM, Balur

All Information from Beta is Subject to Change!

Don’t get attached

Details from beta, especially brand-new beta content, don’t tend to be very reliable for actual hero release.

It’s incredibly common that heroes are changed during beta testing, or sometimes even after testing but before release. That is, after all, the purpose of beta testing.

So I wouldn’t get too attached to any of this — it’s not unheard of for entire portions of skills to be removed or reworked, or for radical changes to stats to be made.

Balur Beta Info & Stats (Extremely Likely to Change)

Power: 808

Attack: 772
Defense: 764
HP: 1423

Element: :snowflake: Ice (Blue)

Class: Fighter
Family: Legends 2022

Innate Resistance: Resist Attack Ailments
Ths character has innate resistance against status ailments that affect attack.

Innate Ability: Heal on Bleed
Ths character regenerates 20 HP each time an enemy receives Bleed damage.

Mana Speed: Average

Special Skill: Double Flail Mayhem

• Deals 450% damage to the target.
  • The target receives 252 Bleed damage over 3 turns.
  • Element Link gives all Ice allies immunity to new Fiends for 4 turns. This effect cannot be dispelled.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

Special thanks to @Garanwyn for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these two threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

For a full list of items currently in beta testing, as well as their related threads, please see the master #beta-beat thread:

10 Likes

Well this one is a bit disappointing. I was reading his special and was like “ok, that’s all ?”. He doesn’t bring anything fresh. To my opinion, his main interest is his elemental link.

7 Likes

Skill similar to S1 Snipers like Marjana or Sartana - damage + damage over time.
Both raw damage and damage on time is on similar level, damage over time is faster.
However, both S1 Snipers are fast, this one is average. On the other hand, his stats are better, he has passives and good element link.

To sum up, if a new hero is comparable to S1 hero, it means that it is a crappy hero.
Look at Ureus - also an average sniper, but does much more than this one.

33 Likes

^great review
He’s an average sniper. An average sniper comparable to season one fast snipers. He doesn’t do anything really against any strategy.

Disappointing

12 Likes

Regular Magni is better . Pfff

9 Likes

Eww klaern 2.0. how many variations of klaern are they gonna make?

7 Likes

Such an uninspiring hotm to end the year with, even the name is terrible. They really remove the ‘D’ from baldur to turn him into this name

4 Likes

Reuben in December 2020 was also very disappointing. I really was counting on a hero as good as Arfanias or Tahir.

2 Likes

At least with Reuben he has an exclusive buff for himself. This is just an S1 hero, who heals worser than klaern.

If he was fast/VF he might be a bit interesting. Or if at least his special would give him some way to speed up (eg mana steal instead of bleed). Average or slower snipers are close to unuseable.
Compare him with Fenrir (also blue sniper), who - being fast - heals himself and can get some additional mana from kills.

But for Balur there’s still hope:

Maybe, but this exclusive buff is too niche
 It’s much easier to take a cleanser than him.
Technically, Klaern has an exclusive ailmement too. :upside_down_face:

Embarrassing that sartana and marjana have better skills than this dec 2022 hotm. Obviously his attack is higher, that’s about it

2 Likes

After Salmon Loki, he will become the 2nd amazing hero in the game
& more over he is fighter that’s another big advantage to take out emblems from Octorus/ Wolf/ Killhare etc

1 Like

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

SG seems have run out any idea and want to take long vacation for years end, so they just give standar default hero so people won’t complain about the new mechanic, and SG can enjoy their fully holiday happily.

this hero seems like regular junk food :rofl:

4 Likes

Sorry but it’s a big fat NO from me 

In my honest opinion he is (almost) redundant before release 

There are duplicate S1 heroes that I would level first, so he goes to the back of the queue

You need to go back to the drawing board and make improvements in order to make him somewhat relevant in the game today 

As he is, then he is completely underwhelming and undesirable

5 Likes

Where’s the creativity?

6 Likes

We shall see. SG is tone-deaf for klaern. What did they give him, +20% skill damage. I am not optimistic about balur tbh, let’s hope I am wrong

2 Likes

december is christmas. everyone summons. and because everyone summons, the december hero will be pulled most often. Ergo, he can’t be good.
See Reuben and Hanitra
Grimble is the only really good december-hero, because there are minions and fiends everywhere.

9 Likes

Wow, this hero is extremely underwhelming. I expected this one to be bad because in December, there’ll new heroes in the seasonal portal in addition to the other Christmas heroes.
However, like @CertainHeredity pointed out, most hotm heroes during seasonal events weren’t very good. For reference:

Event HOTM
Christmas 2018 Evelyn + Onatel
Easter 2019 Anzogh
Sand Empire 2019 Ranvir + Seshat
Morlovia 2019 Kingston
Christmas 2019 Grimble
Easter 2020 Malosi
Sand Empire 2020 Rafael + Noor
Morlovia 2020 Zulag
Christmas 2020 Reuben
Easter 2021 Frosth
Sand Empire 2021 Elradir + Devana
Morlovia 2021 Russell
Christmas 2021 Hanitra
Easter 2022 Zagrog + Silvaria
Sand Empire 2022 Kara + Arfanias
Kalevala 2022 Arfanias + Klaern
Morlovia 2022 Celidana
Christmas 2022 Balur
3 Likes

Raffaele was in June, Sand Empire in July/August (Noor+Zocc).
But it supports your thesis, as Noor was worse than Raff

1 Like