🤔 Help @zephyr1 figure out what to do about Summons result posts in New Hero discussion threads

I need your feedback!

Context

I’ve made a habit of posting a discussion thread for each new HOTM and Event Hero as they’re released, with basic information about the hero.

The most recent example is: Kingston – New October 2019 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts & Discussion

The main intent of those threads is for initial reactions and discussions, ahead of the more player-specific conversations that eventually take place in #gameplay-help-tactics in the endless “who should I level” and “what team should I use” threads.

The Issue

Several Forum members have brought up that it’s distracting and/or frustrating to see Summons result posts amidst those conversations. They argue that the posts don’t add to the discussion about the hero, and seeing other people’s luck can be both annoying and misleading for fellow players, as the odds for getting these heroes are extremely low. They’d like to see these posts live elsewhere.

In contrast, many other Forum members clearly feel it’s appropriate and relevant to share Summons results in these threads. And lots of people react to the posts with likes and comments.

And from a logistical standpoint, barring a lot of moderator intervention, it’s difficult to prevent or move these posts.

What to do?

I think there are several possible options, so I’ve created this thread to seek feedback.

Please vote in this poll, and discuss below. (I’ve also moved the most recent discussion about this from the Kingston thread to here as a starting point.)

• Go with the flow, and rename the threads to include “Summon Results,” so it’s clear those posts are on-topic
  • Forum members should flag Summons Results as off-topic, and hide them
  • A moderator should manually move these posts to another thread, e.g. The Ridiculous Bragging Thread
  • A separate thread should be created for each new hero specifically for sharing Summon Results
  • Just stop creating central discussion threads, and let people create threads as they see fit
  • This really isn’t important to me, I think it’s fine whatever is done
  • Something else, I’ll tell you in the comments

0 voters

To add my thoughts on those, I personally think that it’d be ideal to have straight celebration posts live elsewhere, probably in The Ridiculous Bragging Thread.

But I’ve also been resistant to both the heavy-handedness and the time investment of constantly moving those posts out of the discussion thread. As I said once before in discussion about this, I frankly have other places I’d rather spend my time.

Modifying the title and intent of the threads would certainly be the easiest/fastest solution.

I’d like to see what others think, and how important this is to Forum members, to decide how to resolve it.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes
Vela – New January 2020 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
Grimble – New December 2019 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
Neith – New November 2019 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:moyai: Guardian Chameleon: Guardians of Teltoc – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Sumle – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Fire/Red: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:rabbit: Killhare – New Springvale 2020 Hero – 5* Dark/Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Ratatoskr – New Season 3 Hero – 5* Nature/Green: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Mireweave – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Ice/Blue: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:beers: Myztero – New "Secret" Tavern of Legends Hero – 5* Purple/Dark: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:performing_arts: [May 18, 2020] Costume Event – The Masquerade – FAQ, Discussion & Summoning Results
Clarissa – New May 2020 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Alfrike – New [Featured] Season 3 Hero – 5* Dark/Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:performing_arts: [Apr 20, 2020] Costume Event – The Masquerade – FAQ, Discussion & Summoning Results
:tea: Riddles of Wonderland: Jabberwock – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:tea: Riddles of Wonderland: White Rabbit – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:performing_arts: [Feb 17, 2020] Costume Event – The Masquerade – FAQ, Discussion & Summoning Results
:performing_arts: [Jan 20, 2020] Costume Event – The Masquerade – FAQ, Discussion & Summoning Results
Jean-François – New February 2020 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Sif – New Season 3 Hero – 5* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Tyr – New Season 3 Hero – 5* Fire/Red: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Freya – New Season 3 Hero – 5* Dark/Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Heimdall – New Season 3 Hero – 5* Nature/Green: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Brynhild – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Nature/Green: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Mist – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Stonecleave – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Dark/Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Ei-Dunn – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Fire/Red: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Nordri – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Ice/Blue: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Kvasir – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Bjorn – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Dark/Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: By-Ulf – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Nature/Green: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
Telluria – New March 2020 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:performing_arts: [Mar 16, 2020] Costume Event – The Masquerade – FAQ, Discussion & Summoning Results
Show me your summons
:blue_book: Snow White: Fables of Grimforest – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:blue_book: Puss in Boots: Fables of Grimforest – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:blue_book: Pixie: Fables of Grimforest – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Norns – New [Featured] Season 3 Hero – 5* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Fenrir – New Season 3 Hero – 5* Ice/Blue: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
Malosi – New April 2020 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:rabbit: Sir Roostley – New Springvale 2020 Hero – 5* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:rabbit: Chick Jr. – New Springvale 2020 Hero – 3* Ice/Blue: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:tea: Riddles of Wonderland: Shrubbear – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:moyai: Guardian Gazelle: Guardians of Teltoc – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:moyai: Guardian Bat: Guardians of Teltoc – Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:rabbit: Lady Woolerton – New Springvale 2020 Hero – 4* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Jott – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Ice/Blue: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Gullinbursti – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Almur – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Nature/Green: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Shadereave – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Fire/Red: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Fura – New Season 3 Hero – 4* Dark/Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Sudri – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Fire/Red: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Agnes – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Holy/Yellow: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Grevle – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Nature/Green: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: An-Windr – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Dark/Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Jarvur – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Ice/Blue: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback
:postal_horn: Baldur – New [Featured] Season 3 Hero – 5* Fire/Red: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback

You got my vote

Whatever shuts people up about it, is the one i would go with

14 Likes

EDITING POST to correct for any unintentional offense caused to the community:

EDIT:
In my opinion, merely posing that you’ve summoned the HOTM because you are excited, and then proceeding not to say anything about your thoughts on the hero, or to discuss anything about it such as what you like/don’t like and why, is not on-topic with this thread, and should be merged into some other distinct thread that has the purpose of being a place to show your excitement about pulling the hero, but not needing to discuss anything beyond your excitement about the pull.

This topic is designed for thoughts and discussion and the exchange of information that occurs when these are shared by community members. It risks being derailed by excited posts that the hero was easily summoned, and giving an inaccurate impression that it is quite easy to pull an HOTM with only very few tokens or gems, when instead we should be encouraged to learn that the odds are not supportive of such lucky pulls being commonplace.

MT

And, again, as always, a significant chunk of the 70 posts so far aren’t involving any semblance of “discussion” or thoughts about the hero, but instead are just people showing off lucky pulls.

I come to these discussion topics to learn about the hero. What people like about how the hero plays, what they don’t like. When all you are doing is showing off that you pulled the hero (and from a single token, yet), you are off topic.

Please mods. Can you not create a “show off your lucky HOTM pull” topic or something? And merge all these posts to such a topic to keep content focused on topic, which is discussion about the hero, not just announcing to strangers that you had some good luck and then saying nothing about your thoughts on how you will use the hero, or what you like about it’s skills or stats, but merely how excited you are you pulled it - so what? How is that of any interest to anyone else?? Show offs…

40 Likes

On a side note, ModernThinker has it right. It doesn’t bother me much, and I know that when you pull a hotm you want people to know. But maybe there’s the bragging topic for that. Also, I find funny that there is more discussion about an hotm in its beta sneak peek than in the actual topic of that month :laughing:

Anyway, congratulations to who have pulled him :+1:

5 Likes

1000% agreement. It is very annoying to come here looking for opinions and information, only to find irrelevant posts of people showing off their heroes. I’m not interested in that at all.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that this is brought up every month and the mods have said it’s acceptable.

@zephyr1

5 Likes

I find it interesting who’s chasing each particular hotm especially if it’s day 1. It allows me to gage how much that particular hero is in demand.

3 Likes

Thanks Kamikazze and others who liked my post. It just got hidden, so I guess it struck a chord somewhere that didn’t resonate well… But I appreciate your kind support.

5 Likes

I 100% support your sentiment. It’s baffling how genuine conversations and tangential feedback posts (around content of thread) gets flagged, but inane I pulled HoTM in x pulls don’t. There’s no rhyme or reason to how posts get flagged. As I’m typing this, I expect my post to be flagged as off-topic as well.

4 Likes

there is no problem my friend. If they have the right to put things here that have nothing to do with the purpose of this forum, we also have the right to comment on how stupid it is to come to show off about getting heroes that only matter to themselves. I want interesting and useful data, not if someone got or how he got a determined hero. They should open a post for that purpose, for those who are not interested, we have the opportunity to pass by.

1 Like

There already is a thread for that.

6 Likes

Lol i need to visit these threads every month

If all it takes to p**s people off is posting a pull, my daily goal would be done 1st thing in the morning with the whole rest of the day left to plan out

Can we post dupe pulls? Or only the first one?

Think I’ve recieved as many as 10 of the same hotm. That’s 10 days of joy in more ways than 1

I dont think I’ve ever said anything less than grats to a good pull. Definitely never ripped someone over it

So to all those that had good pulls, congrats! And lookin forward to your feedback on your new hero!

5 Likes

I don’t think people are pissed about people posting their good pulls.

The issue is those posts don’t add anything to the discussion of the merits or weakness of the particular hero, which this thread is presumably about, judging by its title: first thoughts and discussion.

So i agree its monotonous and tiresome to scroll through the umpteenth post showing a successful pull and nothing else, when am I trying to look for posts actually debating the hero’s strengths and weaknesses.

I would argue that posts of successful pulls belong in a separate thread.

9 Likes

And what exactly has been expressed here that isn’t on the cards in the pulls that people have posted?

Because so far feedback matches up with what’s already on the card

All i see is

Sniper
Fast mana

Lowers attack of 3 is nice

His resistance to gm burn is great

Balanced stats

Can play wing or flank

Etc etc etc

If someone can’t draw that intel just by looking at the card, a ton of others typing it over and over wont change anything

People stoked about their pulls of the hero that is in the title, might as well grat em or scroll by

If this is the bggest complaint of people’s daily lives, i would love to trade but then again it sounds utterly boring

@zephyr1 @Kerridoc @Rook

Hotm pulls of hero in the title of the thread, off topic or relevant? Might as well make the call plain as day either way so people can find something else to complain about

7 Likes

Weird that I’m doing pulls tonight just so i can post it to crap on people’s day?

Of course if zephyr makes everyone happy then it’ll just save me some money

So I’ll wait

4 Likes

I’m disappointed that a vocal minority think that wasting a mod’s voluntary, unpaid time manually organizing threads is a reasonable request so that they (the reader) is not required to scroll a few inches.

Yes it’s frustrating. I get that. But people are going to be people, and uninformed posters are going to make “dumb” off-topic posts like that all the time. I’m frankly grateful for zephyr posting consolidated threads like this to begin with. I can’t think of many forums that did anything like that, let alone with zephyr’s speed, regularity, and quality.

Y’all are asking an awful lot from this camel already, and I’m not sure how many more straws that back can handle.

IMHO, I think it should be explicitly stated that pull results are on topic. The forum goers flagging posts like that might make it slightly easier, but that just runs the risk of making false positives.

All I can really say is: :man_facepalming:t2:

13 Likes

Unless the odds change, which I don’t see them happening, isn’t the gist of the summon result posts, no matter how they are worded, going to be the rehashed stuff? Either I got 3 out of a 10x pull, or I got it off of an EHT single pull. I don’t think they really contribute to the nature of those discussion threads, which is what they should be.

That said, I usually don’t visit those threads since I really don’t have too much luck when it comes to summons, so chances are I will probably not end up with the majority of them to see how they would apply to me. I also understand that @zephyr1 is creating these threads out of his own time and moving summon results post will be a continuous hassle.

I’d say for the sake of being related, and not overcrowding the ridiculous bragging thread like those of the tc20 results, creating a separate summon result thread each month and just move those posts there, because posters “will” post summon results regardless. Save the threads to discuss things like design, stats, usage, etc. Probably easier to manage.

2 Likes

I missed what the “either” of your statement is referring to here — did you mean explicitly stated that they’re either on/off topic, and then Forum goes could flag them if they’re off topic?

2 Likes

I edited my post to remove the “either” because I realized I just had one opinion because having “volunteer deputies” flag posts like that is not a viable alternative. My bad.

4 Likes

Usually I only look into those threads when I pull that hero. And then it’s a bit annoying to scroll through hundreds of lucky pull messages, but the wheel on my mouse is okay, no problem :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wanted to add, that flagging might not be the best solution: I’m always curious what’s behind a flagged post. So I scroll…stop…unhide the flagged post…see it’s just another lucky pull thing…meehhh. Scrolling over them is easier :smiley:
I’d favor: a note with the request, not to post so many senseless things and maybe moving them (or leave them there)…to another thread, might it be created for it or an existing, I don’t care. Best would be self-regulation, but I guess that won’t work :smiley:

2 Likes

Cookie Settings