🏯 Onyx - 5* Dark / Purple from Ninja Tower

New Ninja Tower hero is released: Onyx

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Onyx, as well as your thoughts on him.

Onyx

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:new_moon:
Dark/Purple
Ranger
C
Charge
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 865 761 1500
4/90 990 871 1717
Origin Family
Ninja Tower Ninja
Image Aether Power Description
attack-up Attack Up At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +20% attack for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Crippling Claws
    • Special Skill has a different effect when charged with 100% / 200% / 300% mana:

• 1x Mana Charge:
      • Deals 300% damage to the target.
      • The target is immune to new buffs for 3 turns.
      • Dispels buffs from the target.

• 2x Mana Charge:
      • Deals 340% damage to the target and nearby enemies.
      • The target and nearby enemies are immune to new buffs for 4 turns.
      • Dispels buffs from the target and nearby enemies.

• 3x Mana Charge:
      • Deals 380% damage to all enemies.
      • All enemies are immune to new buffs for 5 turns.
      • Dispels buffs from all enemies.

:hugs: Family Bonus

Ninja Heroes have a family bonus for unique heroes of the same family.

Ninja Family
Bonus for 2 / 3 Heroes:

• 5% / 10% chance to dodge normal attacks and Special Skills
  • 5% / 10% chance to counterattack with 60% / 90%< of the damage recieved

The two effects have individual sequential procecing. So one may not trigger while the other might.

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

March 2024

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

There appear to be no changes to Onyx from last-seen Beta stats, skill, and design.

Beta Information: 🧪 Early Information on Ninja Tower Heroes (Epic & Legendary) [Part of The Beta Beat V32]

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Onyx ?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Onyx.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Onyx and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Onyx worth summoning for?

• Would you use Onyx on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Onyx ?

• What heroes would you take when facing Onyx as an opponent?

• Would you give Onyx Ranger Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Onyx’s character design?

• If you Summoned Onyx and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Onyx, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Onyx when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Onyx, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Onyx (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Onyx), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of Legendary Event Hero.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:
Or: How many summons are needed to get a Legendary Challenge Event Hero?

It’s important to remember that Challenge Event Heroes have EXTREMELY low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a Challenge Event Hero.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 1.65% chance of summoning Onyx.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 15 times out of 100, you’ll get Onyx by pull 100 (26,000 gems)
  • 56 times out of 100, you’ll get Onyx by pull 500 (130,000 gems)
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get Onyx by pull 1,796 (467,200 gems)
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get Onyx by pull 2,761 (717,900 gems)

Putting that in Perspective

• 85 out of every 100 people won’t get Onyx by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each spent $259.97 (US) to summon :one::zero::zero: times, 846,364 of those players wouldn’t get Onyx

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get Onyx by the 1800th pull

• If 1 Million players each spent $4,671.53 US to summon :one::eight::zero::zero: times, 49,663 of those players wouldn’t get Onyx

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

Original Discussion topic on old Ninja heroes:

Round 1 Ninja Hero topics:

Round 2 Ninja Hero topics:

Round 3 Ninja Hero topics:

Beta Information:

Feedback Poll - Onyx (post release)

:question: Is Onyx worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Yes, but only when featured.
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Onyx would be useful to keep & Level?
Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• Zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Onyx’s Primary Purpose is?

• Damage Dealer
  • Immunizer Against Buffs
  • Dispeller

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Onyx compared to other Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Onyx’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match Onyx’s Base Stats?

Note this means her Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Onyx worth giving Ranger Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No I don’t think so
  • No… Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Onyx is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Onyx is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

Choose up to 3 options

Extremely handy, especially against Krampus since his speed means that you usually can fire him before Krampus is charged and then he just laughs at his special as no taunt and not unremovable gradual defense up. Also useful against C-Kadilen - even if you hit just her it means no dodge for her so one can kill her before she applies dodge again.

4 Likes

I planning use onyx in my defense, Which path of emblems do you recommend me to follow? I thought the way of the attack, but I see that it dies fast in my attack team

I wouldn’t put him in defense, but if you don’t have a better option then definitely go Defense-Health. Since you can’t be sure when he will fire you will want to increase his survivability over his damage.

1 Like

Attack all the way. He’s a killer. Mine is emblemed and limit broken so that helps.

3 Likes

Go full attack hes a killer and dmg is all he have. Def hp is only for support heroes tanks healers etc

2 Likes

Like others have said, I wouldn’t use him in defense unless you have another ninja or 2.

He’s much more useful in attack, with full attack path and LB he gets close to 1000 attack

2 Likes

Are there any heroes other than Onyx and Mist that prevent enemy buffs? I just realised how useful this hero is against taunters and particularly the new Kara.

Sabina c and Franz (4* green Alliance event).
Maybe more, but those two I remember

2 Likes

It prevents the status of 3 heroes for a period of 3 turns and for each attempt to strengthen the hero receives 200 points of damage.
Great hero

1 Like

Chakkaszrot also prevents buffs. Malosi, however not strictly a buff blocker, prevents all status effects associated with a special.

Am waiting for a cubic zirconia ninja.

1 Like

It says dispell, but how does it work mechanically?

If Kara (all like her) is at flank or wing and has placed protection on all, will Onyx dispell 3 if he is targeted at the opposite wing?

This is using 2d charge. Seems much more useful.

If there is a taunt active, he can only target Kara and hit her with damage. After that he will dispel only her buffs.

So it would have to be 3d charge/dispell all?

No, the way taunt works is that once it’s active you cannot target anyone else with special skill. Regardless of whether you use Onyx or a dispel all like Sabina, only the taunter will be affected. Similarly if you use a damage to all hitter, only the taunter receives the damage.

1 Like

The OP is updated with the latest balance changes.

2 Likes

Not that I’m complaining, cause I have this guy and use him all the time, but I’m rather surprised at the recent buff. I think he was already great and didn’t need a buff. He’s fantastic. I usually use the x2, outside of a lucky cascade now and then which allows the x3, or in case of emergency when it’s urgent to use the x1. Now that I’ve fully trained Peridot, they go well together. One prevents/cancels buffs, the other blinds and/or poisons them, plus together they start dodging attacks.

I got him in the first Ninja tower and back then I was a F2 P player. He helped me a lot to get trough the stages and really slaughtered the enemies.
As timed passed more stronger heroes took a place on my roster and Onyx became a bench warmer. His stats are not the best anymore. Even with the latest buff.

I’ve him at 4/80 so probably would take him to 4/85. I’ve better heroes (astral elves) who will benefit more from Alpha Aethers. Maybe SG has to create costumes for the ninja family.

TLDR: Great hero even with a buff but there are beter ones out there.