Grimble – New December 2019 HOTM (Hero of the Month): Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback

New HOTM RELEASED for December 2019: Grimble!

:bar_chart: Stats

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:sun_with_face: Dark/Purple Cleric Average
:crossed_swords:
Attack
:shield:
Defense
:heart:
Health
615 824 1425

:no_entry_sign: Resists: Blind – The Hero has an innate ability to resist status ailments that affect Accuracy. Doesn’t apply to status effects from allies.

:dizzy: Special Skill: Gnomish Carnage

• Destroys all minions from all enemies.
  • Deals 235% damage to all enemies.
  • All allies get a small amount of mana for each destroyed minion.
  • Element Link gives all Dark allies +10% critical chance for 6 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

There appear to be no changes to Grimble from his last-seen Beta stats, skill, and design.

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Grimble?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Grimble.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Grimble and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Grimble worth summoning for?

• Would you use Grimble on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Grimble?

• What heroes would you take when facing Grimble as an opponent?

• Would you give Grimble Cleric emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of Grimble’s special?

• What do you think of Grimble’s character design?

• If you Summoned Grimble and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Grimble, and whether/how you plan to make use of him.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Grimble when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Grimble, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Grimble (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Grimble), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of HOTM.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

Special thanks to @Garanwyn for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these two threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:bulb: Have an Insight on Grimble’s Game Mechanics?

Click for Info on Creating Player Guides

This thread is a great place to discuss anything and everything related to Grimble.

Once those discussions have yielded notable insights, I encourage others to make reference guides in Player Guides that synopsize specific questions and answers about Grimble.

Topics that are most appropriate for that are ones that players are likely to be searching for or wondering about in the future.

Creating a guide is a good way to make that information findable in the future without having to read through a ton of posts. You can make use of the Forum quote feature to avoid having to rewrite explanations that have already been well written.

Here’s an example of such a post: [GUIDE] How does the Queen of Hearts’ Taunt work with AoE specials, or specials affecting nearby enemies in addition to the target?

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

8 Likes

I know he hasn’t gotten much love compared to other hotms but I’m excited for him. An average speed AoE hero with a high attack percentage is great on its own. Now make him extra badass if there is a minion hero on the other team as a pseudo AoE version of Misandra boosting your entire team with mana is just icing on the cake. Plus, immunity to blindness, which is the most annoying ailment to deal with. Most importantly, his best attribute is that his hero art is adorable af.

I’m super excited for Grimble

24 Likes

Yes. Sure, I always try to summon for the HOTM. How many times, will depend on multiple factors.

&

Now I am in a pickle. Rigard is almost maxed. And he’ll be getting emblems. I have almost 400 emblems saved up (due to lack of good Cleric class heroes in my roster). Plus the amount of the time to level a new 5 star, I’d likely put him on the slow train to maxed if I pulled him.

1 Like

Was there suggestions in beta to improve the hero any? I really felt a stat adjustment could have made him pretty solid… didn’t seem there was many / any changes to try and “balance” him further, or maybe I missed those updates… excited to see how he comes out but have a feeling he’ll still have tank stats with an attacking special.

There were some, but Grimble was never changed in Beta other than increasing the amount of Mana generated for each destroyed Minion. His stats and Special Skill weren’t altered at all.

So it would seem that the game designers were satisfied with Grimble, and didn’t think any suggested changes were warranted.

4 Likes

Thank you as always. I was just hoping for a dark to be excited about, hard to feel that way for him in his current state, even if I do really want to like him.

1 Like

The real question: Grimble vs Vela

Many of us have hoarded EHT’s. Would you go for Grimble in Dec? Or hold off until Jan?

5 Likes

I can’t help but suspect that this hero is just a year before his time. I am somewhat anticipating pushing of a minion meta (not so much with the current heroes, but forsee it becoming a trend with future hero possibilities). He’s painfully mediocre at present with the heroes currently available and common to defenses, but could become a must-have if more heroes akin to Telluria become the norm. Vela is a Titan hero with some defensive potential if you are lacking for options, but will not ever be a game changer. Grimble has significantly more potential upside, but the possibility to remain forever niche. Think of him as a penny stock while Vela is stuffing cash in your mattress.

14 Likes

I’m planning to wait for Vela.

I’m not sure if I might regret that 6 months from now if it turns out that Minion Summoners suddenly become insanely common in new Season 3 Heroes and HOTM — but at the moment I’m having trouble being super excited about Grimble vs. Vela. She has a more obvious role in my roster than he does, at least in the short term.

11 Likes

Exactly my thoughts.

2 Likes

FWIW, my tokens will be spent in December. I was planning on chasing Vela with them come January since I was completely desperate for any blue 5* for my defense team not named Richard, Thorne, or Miki. I recently picked up Magni from TC20 and no longer feel the desperation to chase a lackluster Vela, and as a result would be more comfortable sitting on a 3/70 Grimble “just in case”

3 Likes

A mounted gnome… makes him a must have!!

6 Likes

To begin Sunday with a complaint, I really wanted Neith because my yellows are terrible but over 100 pulls didn’t get me her. Now this guy appears with my 6th token I hoarded for Christmas. Fantastic, if I only needed another purple having top 4 in the game already maxed and Jabber on 3.70 awaiting next round of tabards…

As for Grimble, I would be never chasing him. Already maxed Capt Diamonds for minion control who may be worse effect wise but incomparably cheaper. This is niche role, rarely worth a slot over some other crucial hero. I’ll take him to 3.70 and play against some minion squads but unless we have like 3 new yellow heroes with minions, at least one being Guin-tier for top level defenses, it makes no sense to give tabards to this guy. He is just terrible everywhere else, when minions are not an issue. Terrible stats for titan, weird class selection, easily counterable on defense… Superniche hero, very similar in concept to Miki, excellent at what he does and terrible elsewhere. But at least for Miki titans are daily. Fighting minions, on the other hand…

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Ridiculous Bragging thread

If I had to choose one Vela. But I plan on doing a lot of Atlantis pulls next month so I took a shot and got Grimble using 6 tokens.

2 Likes

I personally think he’s extremely weak in the current state of the game, especially with how pushed some of the other purple 5* are (Ursena, Kage, Kunchen, Hel, etc.). He hits as hard as e.g. Justice, with pretty much none of the utility because Minions just aren’t a threat in the current state of the game, and even if they ever become a threat, it’ll be hard to justify maxing an Average speed 5* in Purple colors when heroes like Ursena and Hel exist at the same speed tier with significantly better effects. And as a tank… he completely lacks defensive utility (no healing, no buffs, no debuffs, just mediocre damage) and has to compete with top tier tanks like Ursena and Kunchen.

I ended up getting him from my 16 hero tokens I’d saved up, and I’ll probably take him to 4-80 hoping against hope that he might have some utility in the future, but there’s no chance I’m taking my emblems off of Kunchen with the state Grimble is in right now.

2 Likes

I’m debating, Vela or none.

I have one of each of the Christmas Heroes except Mother North. Odds for a single hero seems too high to chase.

I plan on pulling Atlantis in January so there’s a chance for Vela. But I also have 17 EHT. I’m debating using in January for the slight chance of Mother North or hold for a rabbit (which I have none).

3 Likes

Last month I got lucky and I pulled Neith. Today after spending 3 heroes tokens I got Elena, Rudolph, Tyrum and Grimble. I won’t complain at all even if they are not the best 5 stars heroes! From Grimble what I like the most is his critical hit buff.

6 Likes

Can we use them in January? The calendar is only for December…