🔪 Cathal – 5* Ice/ Blue from Slayers of Fell Shadows

New Slayer of the Fell Shadows Hero Released: Cathal

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Cathal, as well as your thoughts on him.

Cathal

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:snowflake:
Ice/Blue
Barbarian
SL
Slayer
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 805 865 1538
4/90 922 990 1760
Origin Family
Slayers of Fell Shadows Slayers
:no_entry_sign: Resist: Damage caused by status ailments reduced by -50%
Image Aether Power Description
attack-up Attack Up At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +20% attack for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Stalling Breaker Blade
  • Deals 570% damage to the target.
  • The attack has a 60% chance to bypass defensive buffs. This includes counterattacks.
  • Stack +2 (Max 10): The caster gets +10% mana generation.
  • Stack (Max 10): The caster recovers 10 HP each turn.

All-in-one still under construction. Card image to be added when available.

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

Apr 2022

:hugs: Family Bonus

The new heroes form the “Slayers” family and have a family bonus for each unique hero in the team:
The amounts and percents in Family bonus varies for each rarity.

Slayers Family
Bonus for 1 / 2 / 3 Heroes:

• 50% / 75% / 100% chance to receive the following stacks at the end of each turn:
  • Stack (Max 10): The caster recovers X HP each turn
  • Stack (Max 10): The caster gets +Y% mana generation
Hero rarity Recovered HP amount Mana generation increase
Legendary 10 HP each turn 5%
Epic 10 HP each turn 5%
Rare 5 HP each turn 5%

You do not need to cast the special skill for the family bonus to activate.

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

Mana generation stack is now increased from 5% to 10%, and 2 mana generation stacks are given on firing the special skill.

Beta Information: 🧪 Early Information on New Slayers of Fell Shadows Heroes [Part of The Beta Beat v40]

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Cathal ?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Cathal.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Cathal and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Cathal worth summoning for?

• Would you use Cathal on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Cathal ?

• What heroes would you take when facing Cathal as an opponent?

• Would you give Cathal Barbarian Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Cathal’s character design?

• If you Summoned Cathal and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Cathal, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Cathal when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Cathal, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Cathal (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Cathal), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of Legendary Event hero.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:
Or: How many summons are needed to get a Legendary Challenge Event Hero?

It’s important to remember that Challenge Event Heroes have EXTREMELY low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a Challenge Event Hero.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 1.65% chance of summoning Cathal.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 15 times out of 100, you’ll get Cathal by pull 100 (26,000 gems)
  • 56 times out of 100, you’ll get Cathal by pull 500 (130,000 gems)
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get Cathal by pull 1,796 (467,200 gems)
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get Cathal by pull 2,761 (717,900 gems)

Putting that in Perspective

• 85 out of every 100 people won’t get Cathal by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each spent $259.97 (US) to summon :one::zero::zero: times, 846,364 of those players wouldn’t get Cathal

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get Cathal by the 1800th pull

• If 1 Million players each spent $4,671.53 US to summon :one::eight::zero::zero: times, 49,663 of those players wouldn’t get Cathal

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

Other Slayers Heroes:

2 Likes

Feedback Poll - Cathal (post release)

:question: Is Cathal worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Yes, but only when featured.
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Cathal would be useful to keep & Level?

Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• Zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Cathal’s Primary Purpose is?

(I see only a single purpose. If you think of anything else, then let me know, and I can add a poll for this too.)

• Immediate Damage Dealer

:question: What do you think of Cathal compared to other Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Cathal’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match his Base Stats?

Note this means her Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Cathal worth giving Barbarian Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No I don’t think so
  • No… Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Cathal is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Cathal is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

Choose up to 3 options
2 Likes

This guy is insane! :fearful: like a Cobalt but with massive defense and base special power. Quite scary! I’m glad I managed to get him!

4 Likes

Got him too. He was my least favorite out of the bunch, but I’m glad I got him to pair up with Saoirse. And if he can blow past the Wall of Sif, that would be huge.

1 Like

Balance change since the last Beta:

• Mana generation stack is now increased from 5% to 10%, and 2 mana generation stack are given when you fire the special skill.
1 Like

This bloody card is so OP its broken. Perfect example of P2W power creep.

2 Likes

Is he the highest damage dealing sniper in the game now?

By Krum… This is Conan the barbarian. Arnold’s in the game. So powerful

1 Like

I ended up pulling one and I’m two scopes away from unlocking his true potential.

Debating the emblem path I should be taking.

On one hand, he’s pure power and an attack path would help balance him out and amplify his snipe. On the other, if I built him purely defensive he’s going to stay alive as long as possible and maybe get this thing going multiple times.

I’m leaning toward the defensive build, for what it’s worth.

Anyone else have thoughts on the path they’ll be taking?

2 Likes

I’ll likely take him attack, but I am considering a balanced build

Sword path so far

3 Likes

I’m undecided about the shield boost or mana 2% for the 19th node.

I pulled both Rian & Cathal in this event, but I only have telescope to max only 1 of them… Which one would you guys max first?

My current defense team is Frigg/Senan/Odin/Yang Mai.

1st choice: Choose another hero for the Telescope. However, out of the two you mentioned - Cathal.

1 Like

Absolute unit. Hits like a truck and can take damage. Charges just in time to finish the first tile weakened hero, then with his stacks built up its like a snowball rolling down hill just sniping one after another. Lots of fun to play with on offense.

4 Likes

Good to know. He was my least favorite of the 5* Slayers because of how simple his special is. Are you considering to limit break him too?

1 Like

He is in consideration. Pretty much between him and cobalt at the moment between all my 5 star blues that I use. ( when I eventually get that last aether I need lol)

4 Likes

Same boat, I guess. His atk and def would be hovering near 950 by the time he gets to 85, so that’s pretty damn massive. He’s waiting in line for the feeding trough though, so it’ll take awhile. Good to know that the blue Mirage Quest will take awhile.

1 Like

To me he is the worst 5* of this event. He just has pure snipe damage which is garbage at slow speed. Lianna or Gefjon do it at fast speed and are just okay hero.
Does not worth any score to me…

2 Likes

Pretty nice balanced stats. I was trying to get him but with no luck. Congratulations for u!

1 Like