Balbar – 5* Nature / Green - November 2021 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

I often look at my teams as being greater than the sum of its parts.

Not every hero is busted OP but you can link them together to punch harder.

You get a team with a lot of DoT and Elradir can just laugh at them. It’s good to have the option.

In rush wars I use him in a 4-1 with Miki so I have 2 heroes that resist Alfrike Silence if she fires before me. It’s a useful thing to have available.

So always little ways to get heroes into teams and clicking together

Someone wasn’t thinking when designing the ability.
What’s the point of extra damage when target is asleep when any damage wakes them up :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Nice crap offering. No one will chase this turd HOTM.

This hero reminds me to Malosi, same direct damage, almost the same secondary special (to shut down one hero) but Malosi it’s it’s veri fast and this one average, from Malosi you know what to expect, from this one you have to pray to not get cascade because the target will be waken up even from dead tile.

1 Like

Is the +60% damage calculated after the hit…meaning if a sniper hits for 1000hp damage, does it boost to 1600hp damage? Or is it added into the damage calc and is less than that? If the first scenario is true then I think he’s pretty darn good and I’d level him if I got him.

Have you seen what Elradir has the potential to do?

I have gotten the DOT up to around 1200 per turn (using 3 reflectors if memory serves me correctly).

His reflect will decimate the right teams. His hit is decent. His mana gain on ailment turns him into functionally fast or even faster (especially with Bera involved). And his elemental link whilst weakened still has impact - it will fully charge up an average hero with a level 11 mana that has already picked up 9 tiles. I haven’t tested out the Bera/Freya cut since the nerf but the elemntal link should counteract it in either 1 turn or 2.

I am not sure what sort of overpowered monster you expect from a HOTM but he is decent in any situation and a superstar in some situations. And using him is also super fun. He is better than a lot of HOTMs and I certainly wouldn’t want new HOTMs to be more powerful than this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the mention! Yes I am quite keen to get him as I think he would be a fun strategic hero. I don’t always agree with @NittanyLionRoar but in this case I think his review is spot on. Balbar will be a versatile tool in your toolbox and has the potential to incapacitate an opposing hero completely and indefinitely, which is something no other hero can do (other than those that can kill off a hero, but even that is subject to a resurrect). That means no specials, no mana gain, no slash attacks. Yes you do have to play the board and your specials around it but that is where the fun comes in. I think he would be deadly against any formation where a hero is completely blocked off (the 2-3 raid formation, and certain PVE formations) as well as wings, espcially in VF format as mentioned in the view. He would also be super useful in war cleanups.

The +60% damage is to be tested but it sounds like his hit + a strong sniper hit should be able to take out most heroes.

Any hero that can add variety and strategy to the gameplay gets a big thumbs up from me.

I’ll add my crossed fingers to yours…

Edit: He may actually be really good on titans. With a stacked board and attack up, defense down, elemental defense down, crit up… put the titan/mythic titan to sleep and instead of getting a 40k cascade going you get a 64k cascade going. Thats a huge additional benefit to the team using a mechanicsm that stacks with everything else… assuming that this aspect of this special works as expected.

6 Likes

Balbar needs a change!!! enemie wakes up with damage of 1! if he gets kick with a gem even if it is a gem of a colour that we don’t have any heroe on the board… furthermore… the enemie wakes up if he has any damage of turns… like venom or fire… so… Balbar is not usefull

3 Likes

He’s meh. The only usage of him is either use the deluge of minions/fiends for extra damage on sleeping opponent (and hoping cascade won’t wake him up) or use a 1-2 combo to kill something. There is no reason to do the former and there are much better ways to do the latter (Jackal + Joon/Poseidon, White Rabbit + any decent fast sniper, Fogg + Garjammal … ; note that all of them are faster than this imp).

So far every hero barring Salmon Loki (dunno now about his boosted form, that may be … interesting) had his/her/its uses. Even Russell, if paired with Emilio, is deadly. Even Eyjafjallajokull is useful in VF wars. But here I just can’t think of a situation where I would use him.

Wow. Sleeping Sartana awakens by the hit of Underwild gem made by Lepiota in your video. That means it is very inefficient to use Balbar with Season 4 heroes. This is somewhat ridiculous. He seems meh.

So this is a first. I did a 30 pull summon and got two of Balbar back to back.

5 Likes

even if it was a very fast hero, it would still be bad

2 Likes

Rollercoaster of emotions on this pull, single pull with accumulated coins. First excitement, then disappointment (3rd Joon), then anticipation when delay before Baldur showed his face then excitement!
I have 9 tonics and 8 shields saved up. For some reason 5* greens love me, luckily tonics do too. Can’t say the same for blues and scopes. I really wish the sleep was tweaked a bit. I’d even trade it’s current form for just a 2 turn sleep.
EDIT: I don’t get the flak he’s getting from the community, I’m already picturing him teamed with Hiemdall> Lady Locke> Malosi > ?, for a nice slow burn, stop dead in tracks specials control team…just thinking of possibilities.

2 Likes

I think you still can combo with heroes that deal really high damage. Essentially heroes that can deal at least 600% damage would profit from balbar. So he’s very situational. Also pairs well with motega where his butterflies can amplify more damage. The 1 damage wake up from getting hit by a dead tile needs to be addressed, too difficult to use him because of that. If he was v fast it’s okay, but this is an average speed hero we’re talking about

This was 1 of me suggestions in beta, and for this i compared him with Malosi before a couple of posts.

and there appeared a smart guy rejected? I pulled this today and fullfilled so I tested… he sucks on offence and defence. If missing tiles would work like minions that could work some as well. But also missing tiles wakens hero

I guess I am the only one who thought this hero was OP.
You have a resurrector or Alfrike on the far wings, you put them to sleep until everyone else is dead and your ready to deal with them.
Oh well…

Not 0p, but I believe certainly powerful when used tactically

3 Likes

He’s one of those heroes where you need at least 2 copies to see his worth. Kinda like elradir

To make this hero more useful, either his mana should be very fast or the 60% damage increased should remain for the entire turn, not just for the attack that wakes him up. For only the first attack, the damage increased must be at least 100% more.