Hero Balance Discussion: Balbar

This thread is for discussing whether Balbar is well-balanced, or whether you think he needs a buff or nerf.

This thread is NOT for general discussion of Strategy or Summons related to Balbar. For that, please see: Balbar – 5* Nature / Green - November 2021 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

If you’d like to see more threads like this — or ignore threads like this, please see instructions in: 🔔 Watching or Ignoring Hero Balance/Buff/Nerf Threads

:bar_chart: Poll

• I think Balbar is reasonably well-balanced overall
  • I think Balbar is excessively weak, and needs a buff (increase of her strength)
  • I think Balbar is excessively strong, and needs a nerf (decrease of her strength)
  • I’m not sure yet

0 voters

:speaking_head: Discussion

• If you think Balbar is well-balanced, too strong, or too weak — why?

• Are there specific, concrete suggestions you’d make to the game designers to alter Balbar ? Or are there specific reasons you think he should remain unchanged?

3 Likes

I’m so so on this hero. The sleep is intruiging but I want to see video on how it’s used. Green is one of the colors I’m strong in so he wouldn’t be a priority for me.

Cheers!

If his special was changed so the enemy doesn’t wake if a 1 damage tile hits them then he’d be awesome. As it is the sleep effect is basically worthless and all he is is a damage buffer for a following sniper on that same turn.

4 Likes

T. Amun needed like almost 5 years to receive a buff so let’s wait. Lmao.

2 Likes

Double that extra damage to 120% and then we’ll talk

2 Likes

I don’t know. I think has uses and is powerful but you probably are right that in PVP it is mitigated somewhat by those uses being cases where you are probably already winning . I mean it doesn’t look horrible on the tank. 300% damage from his special and then +60% on a follow up snipe should finish off pretty much any hero unless they’ve got a lot of bonus health and/or minions protecting them but that isn’t really that special or interesting. I’m assuming it’s a straight +60% more damage that basically means it’s the equivalent of 500% damage or more (400% damage or more from a sniper * .6 is effectively 240% more damage) which puts Balbar’s contribution to the damage squarely into sniper range.

No. I think the special has more value sleeping that Mother North, Costumed Alberich sitting in the wing waiting to res their whole team or the Alfrike waiting to go off on the wing. Heck even being able to sleep Alfrike on the flank while working the other side for a couple turns could be great.

In PvE it will be interesting to see how it’s coded. Does it stop all mana gain from the entire combo or just the first tile that hits it. Sleeping a boss and then blowing a big gem that cascades to a bunch of tiles that gives no mana would be pretty good mana control in that situation. Or sleeping the boss in a back middle or behind 4 minions.

1 Like

+1 :thumbsup:
(Have to have 20 characters :woman_facepalming:)

The sleep effect seems to just be be a set up for a sniper or hit 3 to follow to me that finishes off a hero.

I think some people want him to be more of Miki/Hel/Proteus style hero that takes something out of the game to be dealt with later.

I more see him as a hero to assist taking something out of the game straight away. I could have seen a use for him last rush war on my 4-1 green. It does lack a good finisher as it is more death by a thousand cuts and would have helped to load up the damage more.

But there’s already plenty of ways to do that…so I remain a little perplexed by the guy.

I had Garjammel to do next in green. Don’t think that changes currently.

I have Quenell lined up. No contest!

Maybe he should garantee about 3 turns of sleeping, and the opponent can be awaken after that only.

8 Likes

Some suggestions to make this hero useful, I think that just ONE of the following items will balance Balbar and make him on a par with other HOTM:

-make him mana very fast.
-increase damage to 400%.
-60% of increased damage remaining for the whole turn even after waking up.
-increase only the waking damage to 120%.
-sleep lasting 2 turns or at least lasting until the end of the turn in which it is applied regardless of whether the target takes damage.

For now, this hero is very hard to use, because it js very difficult to keep the target away from the damage caused by tiles.
I know that some of my suggestions will not improve the question of the tile damage problem, but, this hero really needs some buff to become him more playable.

6 Likes

Balbar needs an urgent buff, average mana makes him useful only in very specific situations.

2 Likes

infinite sleep is busted mechanic and very abusable for attack. i have no idea why some would suggest sleeping 3 or that the sleeping target doesn’t wake up.
his sleep should have max number of turns to begin with.

he is fine as is regarding the sleep aspect (it is really strong), what makes him reasonable is being average speed.

plus, he isn’t a defence hero (some players only think about that regarding buffs)

currently he works perfectly with a sniper or heavy hitter on paper. (even with himself)

I’m really trying to use him, but he appears to be worst than Horghall. How lucky do you have to be to the have the desired target far from tiles in the next turn or a sniper ready to strike after the Babar’s special? Very very situational and almost useless.

2 Likes

or if is 60 % extra damage separated from sleep
like: sleep till first damage and 60 % extra damage to first special attack received(that stays even if is awake, if is not woken by special attack )

2 Likes

Did anyone knows why Bera minions awakes sleeping target ?

It’s not the minions, it’s the poison damage.

2 Likes

On attack.

He is mostly to be used on wing heroes so you do not have to worry much about Mother North or Alberich.

Or to make a powerful hero (tank or flank) skip a turn and hoping to be able to full charge your sniper(s) and kill him before he fires.

On defense.

He could be annoying but unreliable.

MN is a cleric. For me, I would not consider using Balbur on an attack team facing her (or, Costume Alberich for that matter), she mana shields way too often for my liking.

I don’t see MN being a huge issue for Balbar. I’d want to have a sniper ready to fire before he does, then if MN resists the sniper takes her out with the boosted damage, whereas if the sleep works the sniper can use their shot on another target and come back to her later. Obviously bumping off Mrs Claus is normally the preferred option.

1 Like