⚖️ Thanatos - 5* Ice / Blue from Tower of Styx

New Styx hero is released: Thanatos

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Thanatos, as well as your thoughts on Thanatos.

Thanatos

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:snowflake:
Ice/Blue
Druid
ST
Styx
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 879 919 1640
4/90 1005 1051 1877
Origin Family
Tower of Styx Styx
Image Aether Power Description
attack-up Attack Up At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +20% attack for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:hourglass: Ability: Resist Defense Ailments
Duration of the defense status ailments this character receives from Special Skills is decreased by 2 turns.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Delay the Inevitable
  • Special Skill has a different effect when charged with 100% / 200% / 300% mana:

• 1x Mana Charge:
    • Recovers 20% health for all allies.
    • All allies get +24% mana generation for 2 turns.
  • 2x Mana Charge:
    • Recovers 30% health for all allies.
    • Increases the mana of all allies by 10%.
  • 3x Mana Charge:
    • Recovers 50% health for all allies.
    • Increases the mana of all allies by 20%.
    • All allies get +40% mana generation for 4 turns.

All-in-one still under construction. Card image to be added when available.

:hugs: Family Bonus

Heroes become stronger when teamed with other unique heroes of the same family

Styx Family
Bonus for 1 / 2 / 3 Heroes:

• When this Hero recieves a status ailment affecting defense, 40% / 60% / 80% chance to cast -30% mana generation to all enemies for 2 turns when this hero casts their Special Skill.

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

Jun 2023 (Big Balance Update)

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

• Healing at Charge 1 is reduced to 20% from 30%.
  • Healing at Charge 2 is reduced to 30% from 40%.
  • Mana increase at Charge 2 is reduced to 10% from 15%
  • Healing at Charge 3 is reduced to 50% from 65%.
  • Mana increase at Charge 3 is reduced to 20% from 30%

Beta Information: 🧪 Early Information on Round 2 of Tower of Styx Heroes [Part of The Beta Beat v50]

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Thanatos ?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Thanatos.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Thanatos and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Thanatos worth summoning for?

• Would you use Thanatos on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Thanatos ?

• What heroes would you take when facing Thanatos as an opponent?

• Would you give Thanatos Druid Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Thanatos’s character design?

• If you Summoned Thanatos and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Thanatos, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Thanatos when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Thanatos, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Thanatos (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Thanatos), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of Legendary Event Hero.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

2 Likes

Feedback Poll - Thanatos (post release)

:question: Is Thanatos worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Yes, but only when featured.
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Thanatos would be useful to keep & Level?

Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• Zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Thanatos’s Primary Purpose is?

• Healer (Immediate)
  • Mana Generation Buffer
  • Mana Increaser

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Thanatos compared to other Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Thanatos’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match Thanatos’s Base Stats?

Note this means Thanatos’s Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Thanatos worth giving Druid Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No I don’t think so
  • No… Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Thanatos is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Thanatos is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

Choose up to 3 options

:question: What do you think is Thanatos worth Limit Breaking ?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

:question: If you would emblem Thanatos then which Emblem Path would you select ?

• Sword path
    (Selecing Attack talent nodes when possible)
  • Shield path
    (Selecing Health and Shield talent nodes when possible)

0 voters

Blue Xno? Would 15% on second charge be enough to make the difference. Normally different mana charge levels aren’t the best for def, curious how it would do as tank.

1 Like

Want this guy. Badly. Even though I won’t forget about him killing Deimos.

Though I am not sure how Thanatos, essentially The Angel of Death himself, has powers that heal and restore stamina. SGG surely has unique interpretation of Classical Mythology entities. :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

They nerf Xno and then release him… Oh, well…

7 Likes

Will they nerf Thantos like they did xno?

2 Likes

I doubt it. He is much more difficult to get and the charge mechanics make him less reliable for defense. Still, just another example of how “balanced” is their “balance”

1 Like

first charge almost a vf Ariel

second charge enough to bring most of your team back to full health and make those dangerous slow heroes fir

Third charge game over

just erase the t and as Thanos wipe half of humanity/ other team with the help of other heroes or 4 other stones lol

2 Likes

Sure… But where’s the cleanse. Hard pass on this trash (sarcasm font).

3 Likes

Lv 2 charge is what xnolphod should have been.
-edit-
This comment was before the stealth nerf. Now his second charge is worse than xnolphod

4 Likes

When X2 is charged, you could have charged other vf or fast heroes earlier. So what is the big hype?
I think 15% is too low.

Happy gaming

You will be even more disappointed when you’ll see his art. So silly, as Hypnos is.

When I first saw thanatos in the towers I was just ‘who in the world is that?’ Then I pressed and saw his profile and was like what the heck, this is Thanatos? That is the most anime interpretation ever. He is always all doom and metal in almost all other game iterations. But in this game, young boy.

3 Likes

I voted OP. Not sure if he will be, I find this one hard to judge. But I definitely see the potential for it.

Could be one of very few (maybe the only one?) charge heroes that make it into defs.

The obvious comparison is Xnolphod using Thanatos X2 (similar special and speed)

If we do that comparison, it is obvious that T is way better in every respect possible than current X. T is faster (by 1 tile), heals the same, gives 5% more mana and on top of that has all the other charge options available. Passives and Family bonus are also in favor.

Now of course current X is not what he used to be, but honestly I don´t think old X even has a chance against this guy if we run the same comparison again: He only has 5% mana gain on T while everything else including speed and heal are in favor of T.

All of the above is of course looking at offense.

On defense the randomness of the charge mechanic is a problem rather than an advantage. Charge 1 is superfast and annoying, I´d say a good tank, but maybe not the best? Charge 2 would be the old X (somewhat faster and somewhat less mana, but very similar), so absolutely amazing tank. Charge 3 is of course too slow to make an impact at top level, he´ll be dead before he fires. So 33% good (or more than that?) tank, 33% great tank and 33% dead tank. I don´t know what to do with that information really…

Anyway those are my thoughts…

1 Like

He is the reason for Xnol’s downgrade. So please, people, don’t pull for him and show mercy with our beloved squidface :slight_smile:

it seems he got nerfed on all charges.

1st charge nerf was ok and probably a good call (25% was enough though)

2nd and 3rd charges didn’t need the nerfs they got especially the mana generation part

3 Likes

His special was changed from beta… Here are the changes:

@PlayForFun FYI about the changes, so you can update the OP

1 Like

Thanatos has been nerfed too much to be desirable. Imho.

I reckon 4* Brontes’ special but applying this to all allies (instead of caster and nearby allies) is sufficient. This means recovering 25%/35%/55% health on 1st/2nd/3rd charge and increases mana by +30% for the 3rd charge.

Now his 2nd charge is worse than Xnolphod and no mana gen effect from tiles. Why bother pulling at all?

5 Likes

Exactly. In my opinion he’s the weakest of the Styx heroes so far. And of course my only Styx hero

9 Likes

Mana is a sensitive thing in this game. They gonna nerf it sooner or later and he’ll end up like xnol