There have been several discussions about whether emblems should first go to 4* heroes or to 5*. See, e.g. 5* Sorcerer - who you gonna give them emblems to?
I write from the perspective of someone with a deep bench, which gives me a lot of choice of both 4* and 5* heroes to raise. Frankly, I haven’t decided yet.
A 4* hero only takes 505 emblems to max, while a 5* takes 1,500–nearly three times more. If I were short on maxed 5* heroes, this could make a strong case for raising some 4* heroes. I’ve got plenty of maxed 5* heroes, though, so I would choose a 4* solely because it brings a special skill or particular synergy that isn’t available from my 5* bench.
To help me think about this, I’ve created this table of 4* heroes that have a special skill that’s meaningfully better than anything available on a 5* (that we’ve seen). (Lancelot is here because his analog, Khagan, is slow). I’ve sorted this list by Anchor’s grade and, second, hero name.
|Kiril||Wizard||heal||team +attack +defense||A|
|Wilbur||Monk||n/a||teams linked; allies +def foes -def||A|
|Wu Kong||Monk||n/a||team +attack||A|
|Capt Diamonds||Paladin||Sniper||multi-attack minions||B|
|Lancelot||Fighter||Sniper||nearby +attack +mana_gen||B|
|Sumitomo||Fighter||Sniper||solo riposte +mana||B|
|Gobbler||Druid||AOE||Eat all minions||C|
|Kashhrek||Wizard||heal||Heal + fire shield (nearby)||C|
From this list, here are candidates and my thinking about why they may be emblem-worthy even before 5* heroes of their class. While every 4* benefits from the improved stats, these heroes seem to me to be particularly valuable with 5*-equivalent stats and class abilities:
- Boldtusk Already a tanky healer, there is no 5* all-team +attack as strong as BT’s. The Fighter class is superb for healers, as they have a decent chance of dying with max mana and so can heal themselves if they revive.
- G. Jackal The only -holy debuffer in the game, with a 5*-level attack already. Huge against purple tanks and titans.
- G. Falcon Ditto for -fire. Pump up the attack on this fellow and he could be danger
- Hansel Great mana-control sniper made better.
- Merlin Ditto
- Wilbur Hugely useful against titans, in challenge events and many raids, where Monk Withstand helps considerably.
- Wu Kong Ditto
- Captain of Diamonds?? Most minions are from 5* heroes, and bringing 4* minion-control experts to such battles is asking for a loss. Value here depends a lot on whether we see a lot more minion-generating heroes
- Sabina Solid counter to Guinevere at 5*-equivalent stats
- Sonya Strong counter to Ares; sole blue debuff
- Little John Attack stat can rise to 853 with huge AOE -mana_gen debuff.