🧪 Early Information on the January 2020 HOTM (Vela)

NOTE: Please do not, under any circumstances, share IMAGES OR VIDEOS from Beta in this or any public Forum thread. Violations can cause players to lose their Beta accounts, or threads to be closed down.

This thread is to provide early insights and discussion on the January 2020 HOTM, Vela.

Click for Mostly Useless Information from Beta

Don’t get too attached

Details from beta, especially brand-new beta content, don’t tend to be very reliable for actual hero release.

It’s incredibly common that heroes are changed during beta testing, or sometimes even after testing but before release. That is, after all, the purpose of beta testing.

So I wouldn’t get too attached to any of this — it’s not unheard of for entire portions of skills to be removed or reworked, or for radical changes to stats to be made.

Vela Beta Info & Stats

Attack: 743
Defense: 729
HP: 1303

Class: Druid
Resist: Minion Effects – The Hero has an innate ability to resist incoming negative effects and damage from Minions.
Element: Ice/Blue

Mana Speed: Fast

Special Skill: Aquatic Outbreak

• Deals 150% damage to all enemies.
  • All enemies receive 208 Water damage over 4 turns.
  • All Fire enemies get -54% attack for 4 turns.
  • Deals extra damage against Fire.
  • Element Link gives all Ice allies +10% critical chance for 6 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

Special thanks to @Garanwyn for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

It’s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 100th pull
  • If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM
  • 5 out of every 100 people won’t get the HOTM by the 229th pull
  • If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these two threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

For a full list of items currently in beta testing, as well as their related threads, please see:

29 Likes

Can anyone upload the statistics of this hero of the month of January?

That’s an incredibly specific resist.

Is water damage a type of effect or did you mean ice damage (not being a smart@$$, genuinely curious)

1 Like

It’s Water damage akin to Poison or other DoT.

Also, I assume that February 2020 will be a cobranded HOTM featuring an insurance company offering protection against Water Damage. :face_with_monocle:

51 Likes

Don’t worry, final hero release will not work as intended and they’ll just call it an “act of god”. The insurance will be null and void so you won’t get your deductible back.

11 Likes

Nice, great for titan and on offense againt QoH or Red tank or heavy red flank/wing.
Also can be as Tank with double green flank ? but the stat is not so sturdy for being as tank.

2 Likes

Looks like a very usable hero to me, a bit like gm but less concentrated damage (more similar to Cat), would be happy to add her to my team, thanks again for sharing.

2 Likes

Other than Zeline, are there any all target, fast 5* heroes that Vela would be comparable to?

1 Like

Screenshot_20191007-132544

Zimkitha would be comparable.

5 Likes

In addition to Zeline, Zim and Kadilen come to mind for comparison on the Fast AoE.

Gravemaker comes to mind for comparison on the DoT and extra damage against a color.

Gregorian and Ares come to mind for comparison to the Critical Chance buff.

7 Likes

Now that’s a weird hero.

Like seriously, can’t imagine where I’d be excited for her. Looks like Guardian Kong’s unloved daughter.

2 Likes

Fire Titans seem like a promising usage to me, though I haven’t had a chance to test in Beta yet.

But debuffing attack at Fast, along with a long-lasting critical chance buff and a decently high attack stat all seem like a good start there.

She’s also a fairly natural counter to Santa in particular. I have to wonder if her timing in January is intentionally right after some players will add Santa to their roster — not that Santa really needs a specific counter hero.

Perhaps some hero in Season 3 will be a more natural enemy for her.

She and Grimble seem like a bit of the start of a theme of anti-Minion heroes, which is interesting.

9 Likes

She sounds fantastic
Could describe how her artwork looks like?

Fire titan with Vela, Frida, Miki, Athena & Ariel…(of which I am 0 for 5 btw)

That would probably be the dream lineup right?

5 Likes

She has long hair that looks much like water, particularly in her full artwork view, and appears to me to be intended to be something like a wingless nymph.

In her full artwork, she’s seen balancing barefoot on a large axe blade with a long staff handle that features a large blue crystal in its base.

Her clothes are a large pendant necklace; tailored vest with gold bordering details over a white blouse with blue pattern details; a red fabric waist wrap; a wood and metal belt; and blue pants that are a little puffy and flowing, with a side cut that reveals her hip. I’d describe the style of her clothes as bit like what I associate with Romani clothes.

20 Likes

She seems to be very helpful, especially against the Lady of the Lake and her mana-robbing minions and the Puss in Boots, who summons one minion for each summoner and three for him, who hit hard.

10 Likes

DoT will be higher with troops and emblems. And this is so powerful for a fast AoE. She is an amazing offensive hero, how I didn’t see since Ares. Makes me don’t care about Kingston anymore and to save the games for her. Besides, she has that unique ability which makes her immune to LotL’s minions.

2 Likes

Good point! I wasn’t really thinking about him, though he just re-entered Beta too.

3 Likes

As a happy owner of Ariel… I never take her on titans. I take Kiril instead.

Kiril + Frida + Grimm (or Athena if you have) + Miki +… yeah, that’s where she could fit.

Still, not excited. She’s not superbad of course, like Thoth Amon tier bad etc, but not worth the scopes imho. Not just for that one slot on 1 specific color titan, with a hope of 10% critical hit.

3 Likes

Thank you, you are so kind. She sounds very helpful also has a nice artwork

2 Likes