Horghall as tank? Thoughts?

Hi! I just pulled Horghall’s costume, does it make him viable as a tank now? Better defense and -54% attack is a pretty big number. What do you guys think?

There are two major problems with Horghall as a tank:

1. His mana is slow. That increases the likelihood that he dies before firing. He’ll get to fire more often in his more durable costume, but I really doubt the change will be enough to make him an upper tier tank.
  2. He is easily countered by Boldtusk, who flips his debuff and is a fire hero (meaning the attacker will want to bring a bunch of fire anyway). Even if the attack debuff were 100%, Boldtusk would still flip it when he fires (it’d just be way way more important to time Boldtusk right).

Contrast that with someone like Boss Wolf:

1. He’s even slower than Horghall, but he’s more durable and therefore more likely to fire.
  2. He has no easy counter, as holy has no dispeller. If the attacker brings a dispeller then that is one fewer holy hero, making it even harder to kill Boss Wolf with tiles.
3 Likes

As @IvyTheTerrible said, there’s too many counters for him sadly.

Boldtusk can switch the debuff, same as Lancelot.
Grazul may negate it, same as Black knight.
Gravemaker can apply his burn and bypass the problem.

Another downside is he lose his druid class for a less suited (and competitive) ranger.

Good choice for a F2P same as Justice, but far away from top defences.

3 Likes

It depends on your other options. But he is definitely a useful tank hero but there are still better ones. In case of raid tournaments where red isn’t allowed the costumed Horghall, however, will be one of the best tanks (I used him in the last tournament and already his -34 % attack debuff kept me in A throughout).

True, he can be countered with Boldtusk or other red heroes. However, if Horghall can fire, this usually means that the attack hasn’t had enough red tiles to fill BT’s mana anyway. So, the attacker would have to use a non-red attack raiser (or at least cleanser) as support hero. Players with a very deep roster won’t have a problem with Horghall, less strong players will hope that he cannot use his special.

Viable? Yes.
Optimal? No.

Id say that the costume raise his tank’s value from C to B-.

3 Likes

If we’re talking about costumed heroes, holy does now have a dispeller. Of course, you then lose the cleanser to remove the mana debuff portion of Boss Wolf’s special, but you at least are cleansing both the mana buff and the counterattack on him and his allies. And then you’re dropping a defense debuff on them, as well.

I totally accept that the number of players with a maxed, emblemed Boldtusk is much greater than the number of players with a maxed, emblemed, costumed Vivica. I’m just trying to say that Boss Wolf gained a competent counter today.

1 Like

In all fairness BT is generally a good counter even against other heroes better than Treebeard…

Richard, Kingston, Santa (partly)

1 Like

And the good old Zeline.

1 Like

Yes how could I forget, she’s the worst one

Horghall is solid.

IF you can emblem him, go for HP route.

2 Likes

I wish he was paladin class, I can’t afford not to emblem Zimkitty

Feed him and be patient for another one. Jk save him for saving sake, but don’t waste mats on him. I was excited too when I got him at first as my only green 5 star. I pulled Hansel at the event shortly after and worked on him instead. Later, I got even better greens and left Horghall on the bench. Never even used him for anything. He just suck. Just my opinion. Maybe others have a great story about him. :man_shrugging:t4: Best of luck for a better 5 nature hero! :pray:t3:

2 Likes

I agree with this myself. Personally, I think the costume special is really good, at -54% attack debuff Horghall can delay for longer.

His same counters still exist though (Boldtusk, GM, etc.) but the stat bumps and better attack debuff make him harder to take down.

I recently pulled Horgall from tc20. And he is my first and only 5* green so far. I am a f2p, so I’ve got to play with what I have. I know he is not popular; but given that I do not have too many other choices, I am going to level him after I finish Sonya and Chao. Hopefully I will get a better green hero before that.

2 Likes

Never use tonics on Horgall. I would trade my fully maxed one for 1 tonic if the option was available. He is horrible in today’s meta.

2 Likes

I use my Horghall for class quests, and he’s still my 5th best hero for mono green. Yes, he’s maxed, but he wasn’t my first. At the time I had no other options.

So, even for a f2p, you still would not suggest maxing Horgall?

It’s a good idea to be patient when deciding where to spend your hard to find materials. However, they don’t do you any good just sitting there, and you might as well use the heroes you have. I’m holding 2400 cups right now using Horghall as tank, so despite the hate he’s getting, he is “good enough” in a lot of ways.

I’m f2p as well, he is horrible. You’ll regret leveling him.

2 Likes

If he was a different colour he wouldn’t be quite so bad. Green has too many red attackers to deal with. I love green for offence but it and yellow both are disadvantaged on defense with the red and purple heroes available (unless your name’s Guin).