Azlar or Jean-Francois

I have JF (3-70 already) but just got Azlar now so I don’t know who should be full level first
I like Azlar because this great damage but will slow mana be a big problem?
JF look good in defense team but quite weak in attack. So, will he better in full level?

Besides, I also have Colen 3-60, should I max max tier for him before Azlar if I lacking mystic rings?

If you have Killhare and/or Master Lepus, then ascend Jean Francois as he tends to make those heroes immune to their self-ailment.

If not, I would ascend Azlar since not only on emblems can you make him improve, but also his costume as well. Yeah he is slow, but he is good on offense and against green titans due to his high attack stat.

1 Like

Thank you!
And how about Colen 4-70 vs Azlar 3-70? Should I max level Colen first since I don’t have enough mystic ring (only have 3 now)?

The general rule is that a maxed epic hero is better than a 3/70 legendary hero. Between the 2, a maxed Colen has better overall stats (728 attack, 537 defense and 1094 health) than a 3/70 Azlar (666 attack, 510 defense and 1111 health). And since you have few epic ascension materials, try building more usable 4 star heroes for variety and war depth.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! So I will level up for Colen first, Azlar will be then

1 Like

I personally would level JF any day over Azlar, I have both maxed. You didn’t give a lot of other info on what you need, but I think Azlar is not only slow, but fragile. I see so many more uses for JF either on defense or offense.
High tile damage is good for titans, but there are other heroes who can fill in. Think of it as a long term investment. If you have Azlar’s costume, he is a better choice, but again, I think JF is an overall better hero.

3 Likes

I feel confused right now. I have JF 3-70 right now but look he quite weak. So I hope Azlar with big damage will be better but as you said, I dont know which one should be max first

How are you doing on wizard / barbarian emblems? What kind of hero do you need most? :slight_smile:

I agree. The OP didn’t indicate whether the focus is offense or defense, but I think in either case, my answer would be JF; Azlar’s speed is a big deficit on offense (outside of rush tourneys), and works on defense only as a tank. If the OP is in need of a tank, Azlar may work, but there are better tanks and we’d need to see the rest of the roster.

The good and bad thing about Azlar is that if he fires, the match is likely over – the rub is that he is so slow to fire, that he may die before doing so. JF offers a element link to red allies that cannot be dispelled (even if he dies) which is a plus when you’re stacking red.

If you have just one red 5*, I would go with JF now as he’s more handy in more situations. Eventually, you’ll have the mats for a second 5* red, and Azlar could be the one – he does have good tile stats, as you mention.

2 Likes

JF is a top-notch hero, he’s found in many top defense teams. At fast speed, he’ll likely have fired twice by the time Azlar punches, and Azlar has to wait 6 turns for his burn to finish.

JF’s defense protection is a big deal on offense as well, since defense-down is an extremely common debuff.

With Azlar’s costume, I’d put him ahead, but without it, I’d vote for JF without a doubt.

1 Like

In fact, this is 2 first 5* hero that I have (I just play this game for few month). So I dont know what I need for now between wizard and barbarian

Thank you! You are right about

it take too long to burn all 360 damage
but JF don’t have initial damage so, will it be a big problem in attack team?

Think about it this way:

1. Damage over time (DoT): JF will deliver 302 burn damage in 2 turns, while Azlar will do 360 damage in 6 turns.
  2. Charging speed: on offense (Or any other situation where you can’t use a mana pot), the faster your heroes charge, the better. By the time you manage to charge a slow hero, the battle is often over. No, JF doesn’t deal initial damage, but he burns teams up in the next 2 turns. An attack emblemed JF on defense, I have seen to deal 502 damage in 2 turns which I’d say is formidable.

Recommend you check out JF’s hero thread on feedback and uses, good tips in there. Yes, it takes a bit more tactical effort to use him but not much.

@dnguyen1987

Some of the posters here tend to forget that Azlar has the third highest attack stat (793) among fire heroes in any event or season, bested only by Elena’s 809 attack stat and Baldur’s 809 attack stat (forgive me, I lack a significant number of S3 and event fire heroes and there may be some lurking around unrecognized by me regrettably). As such, his tile damage is valued especially when you don’t have Elena and Baldur fighting against titans (we all know that damaging special skills do not matter much when battling titans). JF only has a 737 attack stat.

Some of the posters here tend to forget that Azlar deals massive damage to all enemies PLUS the 360 burn in 6 turns while JF does no initial damage but only the burn. In Azlar’s case, the initial damage alone may render the enemy dead or close to dying. JF does nothing to the enemy.

Some of the posters here tend to forget that initial damage + burn is better than burn alone, even if the latter’s DOT is significantly higher since most DOTs can easily be dispelled.

Some of the posters here tend to forget that Azlar’s potency is greatly enhanced with Boldtusk, Wilbur, G.Falcon. Try doing that having JF with BT, Wilbur and Falcon and you only see a very minimal increase on his DOT, IF ANY.

Some of the posters here tend to forget that Azlar may still be significantly improved further, not only by embleming the hero, but leveling his costume version as it is always available in the monthly masquerade event. Who knows? Maybe it’ll land on your lap using free keys just like what I experienced with my Lianna and Joon, all costumes obtained using free keys. JF can only be improved with the use of emblems and that’s that.

I have both maxed and unemblemed as my emblems are with my better heroes. But my JF sees action barely. I only used him when I got him maxed and tried several combo against Telly tanks. I found out that Azlar would better serve my needs against GTV defenses than JF could ever have.

3 Likes

Completely agree.

I have Elena-Costume, she is the one that always give me advantage over GTV package.
Elena-Costume will receive (I) mana-booster from costume bonus, (II) mana-booster from rogue class talent node 8 (not node 19) which is easy to accomplish, (III) mana-booster from mana troop. Elena-costume is actually average mana, NOT SLOW as it show on her card. I always bring her with Mitsuko therefore, both counter attack and ice reflect can control GTV damages easily.

Same thing will be applied for Azlar-Costume… If you have Azlar costume, go for it… his attack will be very devastated.

1 Like

While I respect your perspective (even if we disagree), I think basing a large part of your argumentation on the costume availability is a bit off - very low chances of pulling a specific costume from the event, even if you personally got lucky. Azlar got a costume, like many other S1 heroes, because they couldn’t keep up with the new heroes.

Yes, DOT can be dispelled but that doesn’t make Vela, GM or any other DoT hero less good or less dangerous.

I would tend to agree that JF works best in a red stack and OP might be better off with a first fire hero like Marjana… but we still haven’t touched on the 30% critical chance for red allies, etc. that JF can deliver.

But to give your rings to Azlar minus costume, versus a fast hero, I think would be the less optimal choice.

Edit: high attack stat is nice. I have Elena for titans, but… it’s not a game changer. Otherwise she sits on the bench when you have other, faster red heroes. I use emblemed BT, G.Falcon, Wilbur, a lot more. Perhaps worth considering embleming Colen instead.

To the OP: if Colen suits your playing style, you will like Azlar too. Otherwise I’d still go for JF :wink: Over and out.

2 Likes

@Coralline

Equal respect reflected to you, too. But please read again that post, it only has one paragraph devoted to the costume. The rest of my argument lies on (1) higher attack stat, (2) dealing initial damage, (3) why dealing initial damage is better than no initial damage, and (4) better synergy with BT, Wilbur and Falcon. My basis is on my experience with the Man-Lion when I got him way back in 2018. He was my first fire legendary but I just can’t remember whether he was my first maxed 5 star red or did I allow him to be overtaken by my Ares when I got the latter in one of the Atlantis summoning as a featured hero. Ares was maxed to serve as tank and for over a year, he did his job well. I have 4 other maxed fire legendaries in Mitsuko, Grazul, Gravemaker and Jean Francois. Out of these 6, JF sees the least action in raids and in wars. I am not regretting maxing him since he may still have future uses and he prevents my Master Lepus from going insanely weak if I ever take the bunny to defend.

And I agree, the OP may need to find faster heroes but I think that that when he gets used to slow heroes, he will find hidden gems in other slow heroes, too. Just like what I experienced. I have used Azlar in 2018 and I am still using him now against GTV defenses and other green tanks.

I am currently working on Marjana to 3/70 and I still debate whether to ascend or not since there are other better hitters in the coming future like Gefjon or Reuben. I have 2nd GM and 2nd Mitsuko standing by and sitting on 18 mystic rings but I plan to get them at least to 3/70 and only ascend them if I got any of those 2 future fire legendaries.

@dnguyen1987

This game is not a sprint. It’s a marathon. That means, you ideally will be playing this game for a long time. And since you’ll be with this game for quite some time, you may love having an ascended Azlar battling it out in maps, events, raids and wars. In truth, there are better heroes than him but you will have to either spend much getting them or wait patiently until your luck smiles on you. But if you only plan on hanging on here in just a few months, yeah, go ahead, max JF. If you get used with slow heroes, you will love SOME of them as they tend to be powerful. Getting used to fast heroes will make you avoid leveling slow ones and that will hamper your entire gaming experience.

1 Like

Aye; useless vs useless!

Sorry, but I’m just a 42 and JF just gives up and dies every time… Azlar is a non issue! also

Nah. There are no useless hero. It’s just that some are better, far more powerful and usable than some. Most, if not all, F2P players max heroes that they’ve got since they knew pretty well getting those prized heroes entail spending money they don’t have, and yet, they still kick ■■■ in wars and are in diamond arena.

1 Like