Mana vs Crit troops on off. vs def

I know people have taken the time and broken down the math on troops and when they can change hero attack speeds. But it occurred to me that while on offense, we tend to overshoot the minimum tiles needed to activate a special. Eg. You need 3 tiles but activate a 12 tile cascade, which hit nothing, and wastes all the extra tiles that couldve been used for a second special. At that point having mana troops on offense seem to be wasteful and it’s better to have crit troops on offense in the long run. While on defense, it’s really important to have specials fire off as soon as possible so speed might be more important than crit. Therefore is it possible that mana troops are more beneficial on defense?

Apologies if this came up before but I couldn’t find any previous discussions.

That’s a question that’ll get a lot of varied answers. To be honest not sure if there is a correct answer in a broad sense. I would take a look at the specific hero your using on D and go with what’s best. For ex. I use Delilla as my main tank and go with crit troops. For the health as tank but mostly for the minions ( they are based off her health and attack power). Minions can crit and it gives nothing for mana gen too them. Seshat is best with crit as well because you want her to stay alive producing minions ( very effective). But say, GM Cage of course you want mana 11 troops just for the sure firepower and speed of it. So, don’t sweat it either way if you don’t have a certain kinda troop … but the more you level troops the more you can see the benefit of them. Not sure if that helps but hope more people chime in on your thread here telling you who/why so you get more ideas

3 Likes

Also look at the stats of the tune as well. For instance Guardian Falcon has high defense and around 600 attack ( guessing but it’s low). It would be very ineffective to use mana troops on him… where crit troops play right into the idea of him. Guardian Jackal is the complete opposite. So, if unsure treat them like emblems and play into their strengths. Personally I have always been told/ led to believe mana troops are the better choice… the more you shoot of your specials the better chance you have. Lately, as I’m seeing defences with 8-9 tiers of emblems I’m swaying more too crit troops to keep players alive longer to shoot off specials. I’m thinking when you see 15-20 emblemed tiered cards crit and health will be more effective… just my thoughts.

2 Likes

There’s a dozen or more answers to when each troop is better off, and you won’t get mana calculations for mana troops on defense. If your mana troops aren’t 11 on a very fast mana hero, or 23 on an average mana hero, you’re pretty much wasting your mana troop anyway.

2 Likes

I think the basic rule of thumb is crit troops are generally better for your average player. Mana troops are better for defense but don’t pay off on offense as far as mana gen goes unless you hit certain break points, and most people can’t get to those points due to the extreme food and feeder troop cost.

Basic rule of thumb mind.

2 Likes

Another big factor which may or may not have been addressed is whether you are or not running a healer on your defence offence to take advantage of the heal bonus from Mana troops. My defence generally runs Ariel on flank so mana troops are a big benefit to the other heros.

2 Likes

Great thanks for the input!

I feel like crit troops are always better unless you reach the break points with mana troops (11/17/23/etc), that’s when mana troops become a game changer, along with the order of when using which makes the most sense. Also, not just at those numbers being the break points, but making sure which mana speed is effected at which level. So if I have Kageburado and a lvl 11 mana troop then it makes sense to use it with him if that’s when it speeds up his mana, vs using that same lvl troop (blue version) on Grimm and it not doing anything for his mana speed, in that case the crit troop is better. Lastly, looking at the type of hero you are using offense vs defense etc.

Before lvl 11 I’d like to use crit troops on as many of my heroes as possible. I use a crit troop with BT and I have a mana troop on Wilbur by default, the difference of strength in those tile hits are crazy.

3 Likes