⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Ommodus

This thread is for discussing whether Ommodus is well-balanced, or whether you think he needs a buff or nerf.

This thread is NOT for general discussion of Strategy or Summons related to Ommodus. For that, please see: 🦉 Ommodus – 5* Dark / Purple from Owl Tower

If you’d like to see more threads like this — or ignore threads like this, please see instructions in: 🔔 Watching or Ignoring Hero Balance/Buff/Nerf Threads

:bar_chart: Poll

• I think Ommodus is reasonably well-balanced overall
  • I think Ommodus is excessively weak, and needs a buff (increase of their strength)
  • I think Ommodus is excessively strong, and needs a nerf (decrease of their strength)
  • I’m not sure yet
0 voters

:speaking_head: Discussion

• If you think Ommodus is well-balanced, too strong, or too weak — why?

• Are there specific, concrete suggestions you’d make to the game designers to alter Ommodus ? Or are there specific reasons you think they should remain unchanged?

Purpose of this thread:

To provide an aggregate place for the topic here on the forum; thus preventing there being a million threads popping up. And to provide an actual set of impartial votes rather than a Ideas & Feature Requests which has no real voting.

In short, to neaten the forum and to give players and outlet for their thoughts on his balance without bogging down the rest of the forum or the other Ommodus thread.

I have him at 4-80 with emblems and he is a total disappointment to me. He almost never hits very hard. His base damage needs to be raised significantly at the very least. Since his damage is calculated in a mystical way of which we cannot decipher and is highly variable, the peak damage should also be buffed. He should be average or have the mechanic fixed. As of now, he’s a massive waste of mats and I regret ascending him.

1 Like

agree he is only good as boos in owl tower as he iis lot faster and you have feel that he is strong as he wipe you of

as hero in hands of player he is disappointment

1 Like

As a tower boss he is scary. I didn’t took taunt and he just wiped my whole team after 1 shot.
I really wanted to test him, but never faced him in raids. So the reason I don’t see him at all is prob because he is not that good.

Timius does more damage at fast!! What is that about!?

I’ve investigated the MR formulas for the owls and I have written about them in several owl threads.

The well supported MR Strike formula is indicated in this thread about the titan attack and defense values after :

Max damage occurs when the owl’s attack is >=1000 larger than the target’s defense.
Min damage occurs when the owl’s attack <=500 smaller than the target’s defense.

After their release I found lb2 versions of them:
Ommodus’ attack: 1246 → 1569 attack with +26% from mana troops
Timius’ attack: 1363 → 1717 attack with +26% from mana troops

According to the MR formula their damage curve for each target will look like the following with those attack values:
grafik

The damage to single targets looks comparable, but Timius does this against up to 3 at fast speed, Ommodus against up to 5 at slow speed.

@PlayForFun: Would it be helpful for the community, if the MR Strike formula would be added to the opening post of the threads for the owls with MR Strike?
Maybe also adding the formula for the MR Ward to the owls that have MR Ward would be useful?

The formula for the MR Ward should be:
Moonrise Ward damage reduction = max reduction / 2000 x (attack - defense) + max reduction / 2 x (1 + reduction increase) (round down)
with
reduction increase = owl’s increased reduction % for holy, if attacker is holy, otherwise 0

Max damage reduction occurs when the attacker’s attack is >=1000 smaller than the target’s defense.
Min damage reduction occurs when the attacker’s attack <=500 larger than the target’s defense.

We haven’t tested this formula as much though, because the damage from the normal damage formula varies with ±5%, which makes this tedious to check.

10 Likes

I always thought he was designed to be a fiend version of grimble. I don’t have ommodus but imo the point of this hero is not the damage but his fiend destroying abilities and support. He is as niche as grimble and yet grimble is phenomenal with his area of expertise. I’m sure no one is using him as hitter
Same should be for ommodus, but I think fiends have not been that relevant in today’s meta, which is why the usability of ommodus isn’t quite there
And if you’re just playing events just for completion ommodus is very good in the opera event I guess

2 Likes

It just shouldn’t be this complicated. And so often Ommodus fires and the damage is like 500-700 per hit. That is not acceptable for his speed. I strongly feel like his range be raised significant and that they uncomplicate the mechanics. It makes him totally unreliable.

3 Likes

And Timmy has an amazing secondary effect. So does the new red hero at very fast.

In fact all other 5* have amazing secondary effects at faster than slow speed.

For a slow hero from a chase portal to be so lackluster in damage, followed by a secondary effect that is rarely going to be good at a speed that might not turn the tides of battle is disappointing.

I don’t see where this fits into the owl feel and theme and I don’t see what problem this solves in the meta or game content.

At minimum he should be average speed, or a complete rewrite of the skill is needed.

2 Likes

Abaolutely useless in these days, fiend destroy - not relevant yet. If you dont want to fck with him just raise his dmg and make him average. It wont change anything but maybe some players would greed for that xD fiends are really ignored in 2024. Maybe if he gets pasive that whole team ignores getting fiends he could be useful in specific raid attacks

Hits like a wet noodle, too slow, and has very little use. I’d rather have pulled a dawa least I can eat her

He should transfer all fiends, if no fiends to transfer, places a fiend that does something

1 Like

When I got him, I saw the damage as the big thing. Fiends are not a big issue in the game so I honestly forgot about that part of his skill. Some heroes have up to 4000 health now. A big damage slow hero would fit and not be op at this point

3 Likes

well if he trow fiends to opposite team and five 5 turns fiend immunity and still not sure if will be enough

and to do not say that as games grows and all new heroes get better and better defense stat his damage will be less and less
as damage is calculated and depends on enemy defense

and this is main reason as i will not pull owls

3 Likes

Well he just hit my team with 1.3k damage and almost killed my entire team in one shot. No holies, no modifiers of anything. Not even a legendary troop, just a regular mana troop. Needless to say I was shock to see that damage especially hearing from here how weak he hits

3 Likes

Agree. His speed needs to be at least average, or even fast. Either that or make his damage scale with all attack up, not just the super niche goblin wither/growth. As he stands, there’s just too few situations where he’s a functional hero.

1 Like

Was that his max damage ? Need to compare his attack stats vs your team defence stats.

Damage wouldn’t be as high if your side have high defence stats. Be it from LT, goblin, yadda yadda yadda.

I don’t record my raids, but all I know is he almost wiped out my entire team, going from about 80% health to red. I thought seeing from this thread he was going to hit like at most 700 to 800 damage. It was 1.3k each hero, with no holies in my team

This is the team I used. There’s myoin-ni that gives DU but I don’t think she fired before him. Maybe it’s the partial LBs on my heroes. But it doesn’t explain why each hero received about the same mortal damage from him

1 Like

Personally I think there is just not too much transparency when it comes to the owl’s skill damage. A regular skill damage is seen as % damage. As regular players, this is what we have come to know and understand. But with a number like this we can’t gauge how powerful it is. And even then it’s deceptively worded as the real damage is in the info tab. The damage is probably on par with what the meta is right now, it’s just awkwardly phrased and in some way misleading

2 Likes

Looks like almost max damage cos you went up against a much stronger team. 2LB = higher stats.

That would account for a bigger difference between that OM attack stats and your team defence stats.

The bigger the difference, the higher the damage.

So it’s a big bully kind of situation, weak stat hero will receive more damage while stronger on par heros with equal stats or more, they will be more terrible.

2 Likes