โš– Hero Balance Discussion: Gongniu

This thread is for discussing whether Gongniu is well-balanced, or whether you think he needs a buff or nerf.

This thread is NOT for general discussion of Strategy or Summons related to Gongniu. For that, please see: ๐ŸŒ‘ Gongniu - 5* Holy / Yellow from Lunar New Year

If youโ€™d like to see more threads like this โ€” or ignore threads like this, please see instructions in: ๐Ÿ”” Watching or Ignoring Hero Balance/Buff/Nerf Threads

:bar_chart: Poll

• I think Gongniu is reasonably well-balanced overall
  • I think Gongniu is excessively weak, and needs a buff (increase of their strength)
  • I think Gongniu is excessively strong, and needs a nerf (decrease of their strength)
  • Iโ€™m not sure yet
0 voters

:speaking_head: Discussion

• If you think Gongniu is well-balanced, too strong, or too weak โ€” why?

• Are there specific, concrete suggestions youโ€™d make to the game designers to alter Gongniu ? Or are there specific reasons you think they should remain unchanged?

Purpose of this thread:

To provide an aggregate place for the topic here on the forum; thus preventing there being a million threads popping up. And to provide an actual set of impartial votes rather than a Ideas & Feature Requests which has no real voting.

In short, to neaten the forum and to give players and outlet for their thoughts on his balance without bogging down the rest of the forum or the other Gongniu thread.

1 Like

I have mine now at 3/70 and to be honest am a bit reluctant about spending mats. Been testing and like the mechanics of the special, except some minor points like speed and lack of direct healing.

Main problem is that you have to wait a long time before he activates, and then you still have to wait 3 turns for the healing. So it is in fact an even slower healer than a very slow healer. As there is no priority cleansing, there is also a high chance that specials and buffs will be blocked or stolen.

Proposed change 1:

• Change speed to average
  • Give a direct healing of e.g. 25% to provide some protection to the heavy hitters
  • The health recovered after three turns should be Boosted Health
  • Mana part remains

Proposed change 2:

• Priority cleanse all status effects and remove fiends
  • Give (minor) direct healing (20%?)
  • The health recovered after three turns should be Boosted Health
  • Mana part remains
3 Likes

This hero is completely underpowered and most definitely not worth maxing. There only 1 single point of interest, which is his anti-minion passive and that is a very small niche use, as right now defenses donยดt have a lot of minions that are more than just meatshields.

this one!

My alternative would be: make him very fast like the green Dragon that he came out alongside with. At very fast speed he would not need any further buffs. Actually the numbers on his skills should be lowered: Maybe def 30%+X, Heal 500/700, Mana 10%/20%

A skill like that is entirely useless at slow speed. Make it double the speed with half the power and it becomes a useful skill.

Yeah, he needs to be at least average speed. Even then he wonโ€™t see much use.
He really really needs a buff.
If given average speed, he can be paired with Gazelle.
At slow, his effects should be made immediate. As a support hero, that delay renders him almost useless as heโ€™ll be killed before the effects kick in.

He seems very close to Jasper from springvale, and i use jasper but have been reluctant to train up gongniu. Although passives are very strong. Another slow yellow healer? I might do him because I donโ€™t have much in yellow to do

The mana speed is too slow compared to the main effect (heal after 3 turns). I fear that the increased defense isnโ€™t enough to keep the cow alive until the main effect. Even other heroes might die before it. I feel that there should be small extra effect until the main effect goes off. Below is few suggestions for the one extra effect.

• Small direct heal (normal or boosted)
  • Increase defense against special skills
  • DoT damage decreased
  • Small mana speed boost
  • Cleanse latest status ailment

I think that there is no need for a big buff so that the cow wonโ€™t be suddenly BiS tank, but some adjustments should be done for better survivability.

1 Like