War matchmaking, number of players – different number of players from each alliance

Sorry if this has been mentioned in a topic before, but I couldn’t find anything.

Our alliance has 14 members, and now we have been matched with an alliance with 18, of whom only 3 have opted out, so in the battlefield they have 15 members and we only 14, meaning they have 6 flags more than we do.

I’ve been playing for almost 2 years, so all the time the wars have been going on, and never have I come across something like this before. I thought the amount of players participating in alliances facing each other in wars is always the same.

We did have a member leave sometime yesterday, and I’m not sure if the matchmaking was going on then. One member also opted out but I’m sure she did so before the matchmaking.

Is this the way the matchmaking works, I’ve just never encountered it before?

The matchmaking try to pair alliances with the same strength and number but when the second parameter fails there could be up to 2 members’ difference, always pairing alliances with the same strength.

3 Likes

Where can I find the rule?

Here :slight_smile:
https://support.smallgiantgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001566714-Alliance-Wars-Change-Log

But ther is only " * Player count of the alliance". I can not find an info that there can be a difference in the numbers of players

You would have to search the forums for the place where this was talked about. Basically they said that when one team has opted in members than the other, there is a penalty applied to the with more so that they will typically be matched with a stronger alliance. The more members difference, the more the penalty. In theory the math would make it so matches with more than a 3 player difference wouldn’t happen.

2 Likes
1 Like

Here you go, all straight from the CTO:

3 Likes

I know that the thread could be hard to find and it is long to read but in the changelog there were a link to it.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the clarification

2 Likes

Just wanted to mention that in todays war (17-12-2022) my alliance of 29 members got paired against an alliance of 30 members.As soon as the war started we realised that we were up against all of the opposing members,ditto 29 vs 30,giving us a disadvantage of minus 6 flags…Does it happen often?Should it be happening? SG many kudos for buffing Reuben!!!

it is very rare. we had it a couple of times and always the side with the more members lose as they are made equal to the opponent with 6 more attacks

2 Likes

Most likely there was odd number of 30 players alliances so one of them was matched with yours 29 players alliance.

2 Likes

FYI…

Facing an uneven number of war opponents, is not as rare as I once thought. GL

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!Somewhat surprised that i got a quick answer from SG too through support,even if it was a bit generic… We΄ll do our best and overcome the deficit and win (haha).

1 Like

No matter how much different, both team should have total 1500 point if swept for one time only each in one round.

Actually, sometimes to flip a team can be more than 1500pts… Just saying :wink:.

1 Like

So … I was wondering…
What was the outcome of your war @Lucine? :thinking:

War matchmaking for us stinks
Beat by 3000 is insane!

And it should not be so in case of matching aliances with different number of members. Because it creates additional advantage for the bigger alliance. This way they not only have more attacks, but also each of their attacks is on average worth more points.