šŸ”µ [Sep 22, 2019] Trials of Fortitude Teams ā€“ Share Yours & Discuss!

Nastiest Trial?

Maybe.

But Fortitude is one of the nastiest Class trials if you do not have a single hero ( blue 4* Boril) and good luck with the first few boards.

So this could be just about Fortitudeā€™s nastiness.

Piety

Piety sucks.

Nuke them from orbit!

Boss Boril is also in Piety. Boss Boril plus Boss healer sucks because you cannot even mutual destruct against a counterattack boss so the counterattack boss will be healed.

Wu Kongā€™s big weakness is counterattack bosses so he can hurt more than help especially with Boss Joon being yellow.

Counterattack bypasses Wilburā€™s defense buff and shared damage can wipe out your entire team if Gamblerā€™s stance active.

Titanium shield is useful against Boss Joon, but not Boss Boril or Boss Friar Tuck.

The only anti reflect damage/ counterattack hero in the game ( Ameonna) is a sorcerer and banned from both Fortitude and Piety.

The best anti defense buff hero in the game, Kageburado, is a barbarian and banned from both Fortitude and Piety.

Counterattack Bosses

There is no Boss Cyprian.

So Fortitude and Piety only counterattack bosses for class quest.

Both have Boss healers.

Both bar Ameonna and Kageburado.

Cleric Boss Vivica and Cleric Boss Boril both have mana shield.

Monk Boss Friar Tuck has withstand.

5 Likes

Yeah, I can definitely see that from the first few posts. By the time I got around to reading it this morning, it had turned into a full-blown strategy thread, as well as team composition, and seemed like it was duplicating what would normally be found here. Also, hopefully it will help the OP see what the community needs in general to finish all three levels of the trial.

2 Likes

Ever since I reach level 30, not even once I fail to beat the last stage. Even when I only have below 2300 TP, I still have a way to beat it. There are a lot of options to win:

This one is my first trials of fortutide completion with only 2400 power:

This is my recipe:

6 Likes

Darn.

The topic merge ate my draft. Only recovered:

Stop hitting yourself

Like Wu Kong/ Tarlak / Miki, Ranvir is not great versus reflect damage/ counterattack enemies like Boss Boril in Fortitude.

No Healer Boss

Trial of Nature also lacked a Boss healer so missing colors have less impact.

Stop nuking yourself

Gah.

Ranvir+ Ramming Pulverizer + Crit buff against a reflect damage/ counterattack enemy NOT good unless you have Hunterā€™s Caltrops and lucky RNG.

Remainder of post lost to merge.

1 Like

Perhaps I did just get lucky, then, as I hadnā€™t really considered this. Also, the rest of that team is Melendor and Caedmon, so with a decent board, dispelling Boril isnā€™t a huge issue.

3 Likes

Skill

Lucky and skilled.

But something to keep in mind.

If you time Ranvir, and healers, it will lessen the impact.

Plus Rigard and Melendor two of the strongest healers in the game.

Depending on the titan, I have deliberately held Gamblerā€™s stance until the last 30 seconds while I let my healers, and other heroes, get mana and use special skills on the titan. Too early and too many misses for special skill like defense debuffs.

Dispelling

Dispelling is considered an attack, so Mysticā€™s Virtue/ Gamblerā€™s stance can cause it to miss.

In addition, both Melendor and Caedmon charge from the same color mana making lack of green on the board more of a problem. Unlike Rigard and Melendor who charge from two different colors of mana.

Timing

Mysticā€™s Virtue/ Gamblerā€™s stance last 5 turns ( forever for such a powerful buff ) which can make the timing more difficult.

2 Likes

I forgot to take a screenshot but this was the best I hadā€¦

Once again i limped through the last level trying not to use all my health potions (i did) and keep everyone alive (i didnā€™tā€¦rip bb groot) for the boss fight. Once i got to the bosses i rained fury and death upon them with items until there was little left save their shadows burned into into the dirt. A couple shots with caed and a cascade from ranvir and it was finishedā€¦ plucky little hawkmoon even survived, though i fear the effects of the radiation will leave her future a little less bright.

I look forward to the day i can complete these without carpet bombing, but in the meantime Iā€™ll enjoy using them emblems on caed and hoarding the rest.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still learning about how to best use Mysticā€™s Virtue. I received Wu Kong very late; Heā€™s still at 1^1, and Iā€™ve never once used him for anything, so Mysticā€™s Virtue is my first time managing this kind of special. Maybe Iā€™ll eventually level Wu for monk class trials, but I have Ranvir for everything else. (OK, maybe not for star-restricted raid tournaments, but thatā€™s pretty niche.) Besides, Iā€™ve got a lot of yellow priorities ahead of him. Thanks to a lucky raid chest this weekend, Iā€™ll be ascending either Onatel or Vivica soon after Shiloh this week, and I still need to level Chao, as my ranger stable is even weaker than my monk stable.

All good advice, though, regarding riposte and Mysticā€™s Virtue. Iā€™ll try to keep it in mind going forward. Twenty WE is a lot to waste on a failed attempt!

3 Likes

Carpet bombing

Carpet bombing seems more common for Fortitude and Piety quests since it bypasses counterattack, defense buff and prevents Boss special skills from charging.

Counterattack plus healing

Fortitude and Piety are 2 of the 3 class quests without a Boss HP buff in v20.

For Fortitude and Piety, perhaps a mention in the top post of Boss Boril plus Boss Vivica/ Boss Friar Tuck is especially nasty since counterattack plus healing very powerful for Bosses.

Unbalanced

Fortitude does seem to be an especially unbalanced class quest given the colors allowed, heroes allowed, their availablity, and the rarity of 4* ascension items.

Carpet bombing may be the only path for a large number of players.

Classic 4* heroes

Cool.

But this seems a very specialized team to defeat one class quest.

I use my second Melendor a lot.

Do you use the extra Caedmon a lot besides this class quest?

Do you think Boril is vital to this team?

3 Likes

This was the team and items I used. It was more annoying than hard. The green stacking killed Boril pretty fast, after that I targeted Horghall, had to use Rigard or antidotes to remove his defense down. But once he was dead, it was pretty straight forward. As for the emblems and trainer hero, I am just hoarding them for now.

2 Likes

@Alicat Yeah, trials of Fortitude really lacks the heavy hitters. Outside of the nature element, very few druids are non nature. And if they are (looking at your bacon Ranvir!), then they are either a HoTM or in the Atlantis or other event summons. If you can pull Mnesseus, Caedmon, Horghall, Melia, or any of the few offensive druids, then they can definitely make this trial easier. Hopefully by the next time this rolls around you can get some of those that I mentioned.

2 Likes

Did it with:
Ranvir +3
Rigard +11
Hansel +1
Gadeirus 4/35
Melia +16

No problem at all, only Melia died in last boss fight since she is a bit squishy for that. Took some axes, bombs, mana potions and revival scrolls.

2 Likes

To show how annoyed I am with this trial, I am contemplating leveling Boril just so I can have him for this.

3 Likes

Well, if it gets you to level Boril thatā€™s a good thing. Iā€™ve found that heā€™s a pretty useful hero in a number of situations, but I barely spend any money at all on the game.

4 Likes

I have Cyp +11, no need for Boril except for this trialā€¦

2 Likes

Is Boril even useful for this trial? I donā€™t find him useful to kill Vivica/Borilā€¦

I left my Boril at 3/60 and I donā€™t use him at trials anymoreā€¦

I would rather spend some bombing items like I did before I had my 3/60 Gafar.

1 Like

Iā€™m grasping at straws, here. I donā€™t care for Boril, but he seems a fair counter for the Ent. You are right that he is worthless against Viv and Boril though.

1 Like

Heā€™s very useful for getting through the lower levels with everyone healthy, and for countering Horghall, and quickly.

Heā€™s just okay at killing the other two, but he does help, but he helps only when they swing. So it requires a bit of timing, but if youā€™re used to using Cyprian, itā€™s that same tactic.

2 Likes

Iā€™m used to use 3/60 Boril + 3/60 Cyprian + 3 Healers until Atlantis 27-9 (Hard) but none of the bosses in Atlantis is healerā€¦:thinking: I did use them against Proteus so I can use them the same way against Borilā€¦ but Vivicaā€¦ need some luck (would be better if the other 2 heroes not covered by Boril have already die so they will slash the riposte), I once killed her with the help of Riposte but I also lost 20 flags the other timeā€¦

1 Like

I essentially used the same team lineup as @mpolo for this run of Fortitude.

Stats might be different but mine are:
Caedmon (4^70), Melendor (4^70+19), Boril (4^70), Gaedirus (3^40), and Rigard (4^70+18).

If you canā€™t already tell, you arenā€™t going to beat the bosses in Level 3 with your awesome specials, because Druid / Cleric classes arenā€™t really known for their high damaging special skills. You really have to make sure your healer-abound teams can outlast(often times out-heal) the combined team of Chun-Li, Boring-O, Groot and kill them with Tile Damage.

When Fortitude first came out, people were wondering what to do to improve output damage, Brienne was frequently brought up as the solution as her Berserker Fury can help with just that. However, sheā€™d have to survive the mob in order to be useful and a few focus fires and mishaps can actually get her wiped out before even your ā€œteamā€ of healers can react. Up to the last one ToF, Iā€™ve been bringing Brienne, but this time decided to substitute her with Gaedirus (not maxed), but has higher stats than a maxed Brienne, to give him a try, as otherwise, there might not be much action for him elsewhere.

So his placement next to Rigard is to purposely help increase the damage output for Rigard to improve tile damage against Vivica, and help keep Boril alive as he will be the focal point for damage output (either slash damage returns or the AOE from AI Horghall), Caedmon is there for sniping, and dispelling opponent Boril (whose placement means his Riposte wonā€™t be able to benefit Horghall), and Melendor, of course for another heal and safe dispelling of Riposte.

So the difference this time around is that Gaed survives longer than Brienne, but his special, in addition to being slow to charge, really hits like a wet noodle, so really donā€™t count on him to do any great damage with his special, the secondary abilities is what you called him up for (sure youā€™d have liked to have it apply to everyone, but you canā€™t have everything, and he wouldā€™ve been a more often used hero).

I still dropped a few bomb and dragon attacks to help damage output. I usually do try to focus fire on Boril first, but due to tiles this time around, Horghall actually died first. Caedmon, although you donā€™t really want him to be dispelling the Riposte while hitting Boril or Vivica, with multiple healing options, it might still be acceptable, but Melendor is who I used most for the job. Ghosting tiles on the side may help waiting for Riposte to pass, but you really donā€™t want to wait too long otherwise Vivica might heal again or Boril is just going to replenish his Riposte again.

Once I got the opponent down to Vivica only (typically the last one standing), I actually find it fun to see if I can damage her more than she could heal. So itā€™s Rigard on Purple Tiles, Caedmon for the Snipe, Boril with the Riposte. Green tiles will do more damage on neutral with 3 heroes, Purple from Rigard as well as Blue from Boril will be improved while under the influence of Gaedā€™s special.

Itā€™s one of those war of attrition that you just have to watch the opponent movement and counter with your own.

1 Like