It now feels important to add this: These stats are from BEFORE the Telluria / Vela (and other heroes) re-balancing which was planned for V30 but ended up being implemented in mid-May 2020 (before V30).
I felt I needed to do a (relatively) quick edition to check up on Telluria. Without knowing it, I recently fought my 100th battle against her and I’m pretty much already done with her. Let’s dig into why.
FWIW in reading this please keep in mind that I do NOT have either Grazul or Zimkitha
Tank Win Rates
Before looking at Telluria’s win rate we first need the proper context. Here are the win rates of some formidable tanks, from my sample of 6,392 total raids. I think it’s more comprehensible as the win rate of the TANK on the defense I’m attacking (so we’re talking about how often I LOSE); I will present the figures in that way.
In my 101 fights with Telluria she has beaten me SIXTEEN times. That’s a 15.84% win rate, easily topping the table, and by a good bit. She as far ahead of Gravemaker as Gravemaker is ahead of ~Richard, Santa Claus, and Delilah.
I don’t know a better way to express it. It’s stunning how dominant a tank she is right now.
One huge reason for that is how perfectly Vela complements her. Vela is the right element, has a (to a red stack) devastating special that fires at fast mana, and is in a good class for a defender.
With the warning that we’re now going to look at a subset of a small sample of only 101 raids, I think some trends are beginning to emerge nonetheless. Here’s Telluria’s record with Vela in various positions:
Telluria beats me ~25% of the time if Vela is also on the field. That combo accounts for half of my losses against a Telluria tank, despite the fact that Vela’s on the field for only about a third of my fights against Telluria.
Perhaps the problem is just that Telluria’s mana impairment makes it hard for Mitsuko to get reflect ready in time? NO. I mean, yes, that is hard, but that’s not the real problem. Let’s look at Telluria’s win rate with non-Vela fast mana ice heroes on the field. In this sample those heroes were Alasie, Alice, Finley, Magni, Master Lepus, and Misandra (there’s no reason for me to break them out individually).
Telluria is winning ‘only’ ~10% of the time with a non-Vela fast blue on the field. A few observations on that:
- Refer to the tank win rate table - a 10% win rate would still be near the top.
- The difference between Telluria + fast non-Vela winning 10% and Telluria + Vela winning 25% is immense. Telluria firing makes her flanks very likely to fire. When that is Vela, the fight is over. When it’s a different blue it sucks, but can maybe be fought through.
- Telluria’s win rate with a non-Vela fast blue of 10% may actually be outright LOW. Telluria is faring better against me with a non fast blue (or no blue) if she can’t have Vela. She is 4-24 without ANY fast ice hero, good for an ~14% win rate. That may just be an artifact of a small sample size, but I suspect perhaps not. Telluria’s mana slow is so powerful that even an average speed flank is now likely to fire, so the superior damage / effect of a, say, Richard, may actually be better than a Magni (whose shield is more redundant with Telluria’s HoT and minions) at that point. As for non blues, I’ll say anecdotally that I have found Black Knight and Freya to both be particularly formidable flanks for Telluria.
- Lastly, there isn’t really any point in digging deeper about if the fast blue (Vela or not) is at flank or wing. There may be something there for the future, but now I think we’re definitely slicing the sample too small.
Tank Win Rates 2
Let’s revisit the table I posted earlier, but I’ll include Telluria and clip it to the top 10.
|Telluria, with Vela||23.53%|
|Telluria, all teams (with and without Vela)||15.84%|
|Telluria, with any team WITHTOUT Vela||11.94%|
The conclusions I am pointed towards, rather forcefully:
- Telluria is killing me.
- Vela’s element specific effects are really crushing me (the extra damage and attack debuff against fire heroes).
Precedent / Comparison
I could not find any precedent or comparison in my files. My first thought was to look at Zeline. Her extra damage against ice heroes and attack debuff feels very similar to Vela. Unfortunately, I have only 10 instances of her being on the field with Gravemaker, Black Knight, or Elena. Being a much older hero she may just not be out there as much (and many of those players may have emblemed Guinevere or Hel instead, where any player, new or old can walk in and have recently bought Telluria and Vela and perhaps not have e.g., Alberich to compete for emblems).
For other strong tanks, I just don’t feel there’s an equivalent complement. Guinevere would need Ursena to do extra damage against dark instead of holy. I may take a look at Kunchen + Poseidon in the future, but I’ve done enough work on this to convince myself that Telluria + Vela is incredibly powerful and appears to be sui generis.