Merlin or Proteus? šŸ¤”

Well, Kiril does not benefit from the Wizard class at all, so should be a no-brainer.

Unless you are using Kiril on defense team and want to make him more tanky with the stats buff. But Iā€™d do Proteus.

Love your note!!! It hard to decide wich one to leveling after 1st proteus maxed, another 2nd Proteus or 1st Merlin. Still not decide it yet, trap tool hunger. :smile:

1 Like

Recently brought second Proteus up to 4-70 and have been raiding with both. Set myself a challenge of no rerolls and only one slot open for change (either Scarlett or Evelyn depending on if a debuff is needed).

Proteus - Scarlett/Evenlyn - Zimkitha - Delilah - Proteus

IF both Proteii (?) fire I have won no matter what, if one fires then I have probably won and if neither fire it is hit or miss (it means Iā€™ve probably been jammed by Guin). One Proteus is good, two is phenomenal, it made the final stage of Atlantis (easy mode) a cake walk, a long walk but no real danger. If the enemy cannot hit you they cannot hurt you.

Merlin must be fun. Proteus is simply overwhelming and I would go as far as to say bring the second one up before the first Merlin.

Proteus II kicked 4-80+3 Sartana out of the teamā€¦just saying.

3 Likes

Thanks for your insights @Sternman, really appreciate it. :+1:.

1 Like

Proteus is a little bit more delicate than I like but not horribly so.

The tile damage is perfectly acceptable, better than a maxed Sartana, so you are doing well on tile damage with two. My +3 Proteus went defense/health to live longer (debate on another thread) since I mostly face fully leveled and heavily emblemed 5* teams.

I LIKE Merlin and expect you will eventually max him BUT my impression from the past two weeks is that running Double Proteus is 2.5x better than a single Proteus (if one dies you still have one to lock down the most problematic enemy hero).

This could all change once people get Poseidon and other resistant heroes leveled up. For now it is very effective.

2 Likes

I had this wonderful conundrum myself and would strongly advocate for Merlin over a second Proteus. I completely agree with everything Garanwyn posted, would definitely recommend a first Proteus over Merlin, and would join in the chorus of those who suggest Proteus is the strongest four star hero in the game.

However, your situation is about the marginal utility of a second Proteus versus Merlin. In wars a second Proteus is generally going to be better for basically the same reasons that the first Proteus is better than Merlin. However, in most/all other situations (map, raids, titans), Iā€™d suggest that Merlin has the edge over that second Proteus.

I have raided with two Protei and with Proteus and Merlin and I feel the latter is a more effective team. Mostly because of the ā€˜Merlin improves the mana situation by draining a heroā€™ factor that Garanwyn wrote about. Yes, it is cool that two Protei can lock down the whole boards, but you donā€™t really need that because youā€™re usually making matches in one zone, and a single Proteus can hold that area down himself. Proteus + Merlin provides you more options about moving tiles and deliberately triggering a hero, where with two Protei I often found I was holding the second to lock down the same heroes or wanted to make a move or two and then re-evaluate.

That said, after I had one of each I was VERY happy to immediately do a second Proteus. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:wink: In spite of loving my double team, I wonā€™t argue against you.

Wonā€™t be long till both the Merlin and second Proteus are maxed, a few weeks of waiting but it will happen (right?). For fun Merlin going first may make it worth while, there isnā€™t an obvious deterioration in team strength and perhaps a benefit due to the mana drain as you reminded.

For mobs on the map neither Merlin nor Proteus are very ā€œspecialā€ since the mobs donā€™t have mana, just the bosses and all the mana control heroes should come into that level fully charged so except for very difficult levels all will serve you.

Raiding is where I find my Double Proteus works wonders and I feel great :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :heartbeat: for the combo. It is entirely possible that I would feel the same way about a Proteus/Merlin combo but without Merlin I canā€™t tell you for certain.

3 Likes

I use mana control and my favorite mono team is Dark, so I use both Proteus and Merlin heavily. I was also in the exact same situation and went with a first Merlin over a second Proteus. I think you get alot more mileage out of this in my experience. Merlin can stop a special thatā€™s already charged, and does damage + more damage from self hit, and also extends yet another tile sink. The diversity of his particular mana control mechanic is well worth it. Now if we had to pick three, absolutely two Protei and a Merlin.

For anyone considering Proteus in general, he absolutely can and will carry you though most challenges and events, just load up on mana potions and keep the enemy locked down. I still take him along on 3 boss levels, almost feels like cheating. I think he is to events what Wu is to titans.

6 Likes

I love both Merlin and Proteus. Where I think Merlin shines is in higher tier Titans. Making the Titan eat that special is amazing! I think Proteus is better for raids/wars.

To be fair, I do use both Merlin and Proteus on the same team against yellow Titans!

3 Likes

Thanks all! Love this forum, because every thought enrinch my knowledge. Since everyone gave a reasonable explanation and this really help me to learn more .:+1:
I will go with Merlin for fun. But after that, I will maxed My 2nd Proteus, and want to try raid with 2 proteus in the same team.

3 Likes

I have 3 Proteus on both my accounts. Events are nothing.

3 Likes

I will soon know the joy of Merlin that you spoke of.

I did 3 10x and kept getting a Lancelot as my Event hero in each set of pulls (already had two).

Was not going to do any more but when I completed all the Event levels I felt it merited a celebration.

Merlin popped out and although he has to wait his turn, he is ahead of Proteus 3. Finish Kunchen who is in final ascension, question is whether to bring Hel all the way too or do Merlin firstā€¦ truly wonderful conundrum to have.

2 Likes

Proteus , Merlin and C. Cat, fun to play with, lock down manas of a few and if any has mana full cause it to hit itself or any of its nice neighbors, then bounce them around with cat, and poisoning them at the same time.

Lol this is the situation Iā€™m facing right now. I have fully leveled proteus and unlevelled one. I also got Merlin but I want to level 2nd Proteus over Merlin. Iā€™m here to check if Iā€™m making a bad choice.

5 Proto before Merlin.
Proto stops 3, Merlin only dies.

I have both maxed, my 2 Proto get to work in almost every war and many boss stages.

Proto is on duty, Merlin just dusty.

4 Likes

Iā€™m worried about the wizard and sorcerer emblems trial though. I donā€™t have credible hard hitters on it. I only have Chochin, Proteus, Sabina,Costumed Hawkmon. The rest of other heroes are unlevelled. Proteus helps me when I get to the final boss but it gets very difficult to go through the waves.

I have both and I get more use a d value from Proteusā€¦ He still is part of my Purple Raid team in the diamond arena.

1 Like