Free to play. help

What tips would you give to F2P players to help them with their game?

1 Like

I would like to here from F2P players that have tips and tricks on every aspect of game.

Please feel free to drop by the FTP Rebellion thread with specific questions.

Lots of knowledgeable FTPers there (and me!)

9 Likes

lol @Noble_Weasel beat ne to it lol yea but what he said

1 Like

When I saw your icon, I knew I’d better type fast! LOL

2 Likes

A play by play…with the experiences of more than one person’s opinion

3 Likes

Been F2P my whole time in this game.

Rule #1: F2P is a marathon, not a sprint. Don’t get frustrated by plateauing every once in a while. Pace yourself.

Rule #2: Don’t burn rare resources unless/until you’re certain. After playing for a few years, I finally joined an Alliance. At the time, I had hundreds of harpoons. I actually used some to help me solo some smaller Titans. I didn’t really understand how rare they actually are, and I’d trade ALL of those solo kills for more harpoons NOW, since we’re facing tougher Titans.

2 Likes

I have heard different tips on when to pull heroes. For instance after you pull a 3 star from daily summons. Thoughts???

yea, there are a bunch of superstition about pulling, they work some times but nothing will guaranty you a 5*. It comes down to just pull in the best event that will give you the best 3 and 4 s heroes most useful on the game and if you get a 5 consider yourself lucky

2 Likes

That’s what people say.
But I think it is a waste of time to try psyching the RNG luck.
Look at the odds and pull where you have the best chance of getting something useful.

3 Likes

I had also read some of this kind of stuff, but I don’t believe it. My advice for FTP is not to waste resources on junk like this. I would just echo the excellent advice that @egeovannyam gives above. We have a conversation about that very thing going on in the FTP Rebellion thread right now (i.e. which is the “better” portal for FTP to pull from - Springvale or Kalevala?)

2 Likes

Remember to level up your troops along with way…start consuming those 1* star troops sooner so you won’t be stuck with a large amount…

3 Likes

If I could go back to the beginning, don’t spend gems in portals with Season 1 heroes. Save the gems. There are portals (like Black Friday portals) without these heroes. I would have saved thousands of gems.

3 Likes

as an FTP, it helps to be realistic about where you can compete, and at what level.

also as an FTP, hero roster slots are a good investment. if you don’t summon much, who knows when you will ever pull Mielikki or Proteus again?

chasing 5* is very unrealistic, so consider carefully the available 3* and especially 4* in a portal (you are much more likely to get them)

and whenever you pull a new hero, read up carefully on them to see if they will benefit your roster - and how.

5 Likes

I think what I missed the most, was an Alliance that was F2P, around the same level as myself.
It just helps so much to be surrounded by ‘equal-minded’ - if one can say that.

If you can, try to find a nice place like that. :four_leaf_clover:

‘‘Compare only with yourself, and only with yesterday’’ - I have always said. :slight_smile: :thought_balloon:

It helps in this game too. Focus on your collection, and what you can accomplish today, that you might not have been able to three months ago.

Try to ‘control’ matchmaking in tournaments, by levelling your heroes somewhat equally.

Never chase a specific hero.

Gather gems enough to do 10-summons. Spend them in portals with no S1 (or the costume chamber)

Invest in more collection space (bought with gems in the shop), so you have room for feeders.

Tend to your troops. They are used all and everywhere, and they do not ‘grow old’ in the same way that some heroes do.

Do not believe all the summons shared on this board, youtube, reddit, etc. Often people only share when they get something nice, and not the 100s of summons that went before it, that gave nothing at all.

Those were just a few, on the top of my head.

Have a great time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s a good one, Gwniver, not discussed often enough. I tend to do well in 5-star tournaments precisely because I still have no maxed 5-stars, but lots of good 4-stars.

It also helps your alliances war matchmaking not to let your top five get too far ahead of the next 25. It can be tempting to max up a five-star team right away, but there are benefits to focusing on depth in 4-stars first.

Focusing on 5-stars too soon can also steal resources from your other heroes

3 Likes

this is also a great thread for any new player, not just FTP. though it is from a time long past, before emblems and aethers…

but a lot of what is said here is still relevant

3 Likes

SO TRUE this game is a journey, even if you get the heroes you can not speed up the process to level them up due to ascension items and the number of feeder heroes needed to level them

@edgeofitall how many months/yeras in are you, what is your player level? I will summarise my thoughts based on my experiences of the last 6 months - but a lot of it won’t be relevant or applicable for a 4-year old FTP veteran.

• Get a good PVE team going as soon as possible - most good loot in the game (mats, chances at pulls) come from PVE content. There are a few 3*s that will help you punch above your weight in regards to this, e.g. Gunnar/C Gunnar, Kaylani, Brienne/C Brienne. Any overhealer, any minion summoner.

• Advance your main PVE team (which would also likely be your main raid team, or a variant of it) as MUCH AS YOU CAN and AS FAST AS YOU CAN. This is contrary to the advice most people give which is to feed 5 heroes on-color at a time, and to work on 3s and 4s before 5s. I would NEVER advise to only feed heroes on color unless you already have a good team/teams ready to play and can afford to level slowly - the 20% XP bonus is just not worth it. At the start of the game you are at your weakest and it is hardest to progress, so you need to advance as quickly as possible. If you get a good 4 - work on that straight away. If you get a good 5* - work on that straight away (although consider pausing/stopping at 3/70 and re-evaluating). Yes it will take longer but the value you get is there from the start and will be there for a long, long time to come. If you get a 5* that is not average or above - don’t level it, keep it for soul exchange later. A good 4* > a poor 5*.

• Don’t work on depth at first. Depth is important - but not as important as getting your main team up and running and then making it better and better. Consider the PVE which required roster depth:

• Wars, elemental quests, towers, tavern of legends, W3K, monster island
    Now consider the PVE that requires one good team/variants of the team:
  • world stages, class quests, omega quests, covenant quest, challenge events*, costume quest, seasonal events, everything else
    Challenge events can be completed with a good 3*/4* team which is why I have put it in the latter category.
    You will get far more rewards from doing the latter stuff with one good team than spreading yourself thin and trying to do mediocre on the former. There will be a time for building depth - but it is not in the first few months.
  • The building to focus on first is the forge - get that levelled as quickly as possible. Arrows, axes, bombs and dragons let you hit above your weight in PVE content, which gives you access to the rewards faster

• Progress as far as you can in each world season to unlock the next one. This allows you the luxury of working on each season whenever the portal is open, and (with the exclusion of season 1 and seaosn 5) at a discounted WE rate. You maximise your overall pulls that way, and world energy is a precious commodity in the early stages.

• Think carefully about which hero would most benefit you in fated summons. I HIGHLY recommend Onatel if you are not able to complete any of the PVE content. As long as you can keep her and the rest of your team alive she is almost a guaranteed win against almost any boss stage. Consider levelling any other mana controller you get as these will help you immensely.

• Troops are important… but not so much at the start of your journey. The resources required to build up the barracks to a high level and then to acquire your 4* mana troops and to level them to 17/23 for your major breakpoints… you are looking at 1 year at a MINIMUM. Level your barracks a few levels but don’t go much beyond that.

• Level your farms and mines and watchtower as long as it is cheap to do so. Otherwise don’t focus on these until a bit later in the game. With the watchtower learn which levels have the biggest leaps in turns of food/iron gains and leave them sitting on those levels until you are ready to put in the work to upgrade them to the next big level

• Level your food and iron storages as per your TC requirements. You will need to level your TC as fast as you can in order to unlock the other key buildings.

• Build as many TCs as you can as quickly as you can, and level to around 11 initially. Apart from acquiring your heroes levelling them will be your biggest bottleneck early on. Maximise your flow of hero feeders in order to allow the fastest progression. Level one hero at a time! Have enough houses to support about 100 lemmings, that should give you enough leeway to work early on.

• Try not to waste energy - early on you have very little of it

• Do as many mystic visions as you can - these are a great source of the occasional great loot (and typically your biggest source of gem income)

• Don’t spend the 75 gems to keep a level going unless it is vital to get a 4* mat or something similar

• Only use your EHTs during seasonal events. ETTs ideally should only be spent in tower events but if you don’t have any 4* troops in the colors you need you will (probably) get more benefit from spending some early rather than hoarding them all for 2 months

• Gems are probably best spent on tourney buy-ins (where you are likely to advance to top 1% or 5%). The rewards you get from those brackets are worth the cost - LB materials and decent chances at gold tokens. Some can also be spent on expanding your roster slots. Nothing wrong with using them on the occasional pull in a good portal as well - as people have mentioned the portals with no S1 heroes or portals with a decent chance of getting good 3*/4*s are the best places to spend. Don’t hoard your gems in the early stages of the game. I also use gems to speed up raid chests - partly because raiding is the most fun part of the game for me, and partly to speed up the elemental chests.

• As soon as possible find a good alliance. By good I don’t mean top, but one where you can get rewards from titans and alliance quests and myuthic titans. Don’t relegate yourself to a weak alliance if you don’t have to - go as high as can where you pull your own weight (can do clean ups in wars, get a C grade in titans, etc)

That’s it as a starter - will do a follow up if I have left anything out

4 Likes

Ahh yes, very good point too, about the wars. :100: Likewise - most of my four star heroes are now LBed and emblemmed, and I use them all the time. :slightly_smiling_face: