Blind and crit on multiple heroes of same color

I can’t find this in the forum, but maybe it is already somewhere.
Suppose you have 4 red heroes in your attack team, but only one has a 12% chance to crit (for example green titan team, with only one crit 4* troop)
How does crit work on red tiles?
I can imagine 2 possible scenarios, but maybe there are more:

• 12% of the tiles do critical damage, but only the damage contribution given by the hero with the crit troop gets the crit boost, i.e. total damage of crit tiles is not 150% of normal tiles (+50% cause we’re using strong color, ref. Can someone explain what critical means - #6 by Kerridoc) but maybe something like 112% (about +50% / 4 since only 1 / 4 of the heroes is actually making a crit
  • crit tiles do their full 150% damage, but chance to crit is only 3%, i.e. crit chance is the average of all crit chances of red heroes (12% / 4 + 0% * 3 / 4)

Since a very similar doubt would apply to blindness (e.g. only 1 out of 4 heroes is blind) I think the second option would make more sense in general. More specifically, in case of blindness the first option simply doesn’t apply, cause you can’t tune blind damage, when you miss it is 0 damage. period.
While the second option would still apply: if one hero is blind with a miss chance of 40% I’d say that only 10% of red tiles miss: (40% / 4 + 0% * 3 / 4)

Does anyone know better than me or is aware of a thread where this topic is discussed?

Each tile is associated with a specific hero—which you can see graphically if you put different sorts of troops with each hero in the stack. While each tile carries the full attack of all heroes in the stack, it only takes the ailments or troop crit effects from the associated hero. This statement is based on a staff post on the beta boards.

3 Likes

Ok, I was confused by the fact that all the tiles bring full damage from all heroes, so even if each tile converts to a specific troop I thought it was only a graphic effect.
In this case, if I understand correctly, none of my options is correct, but a combination of the 2. So always referring to the OP example:

• chance to crit is only 3%, because there’s 25% that the tile will convert to the troop with crit bonus, and that troop has 12% chance: 25% * 12% = 3%
  • only the damage contribution given by the hero with the crit troop gets the crit boost, i.e. bonus damage of crit tiles is not +50% of normal tiles, but +12% more or less, depending on the relative attack stat of that hero.

Is this right?

Does blindness work the same way? i.e. if the tile converts to the troop of a hero that is not blinded miss chance is 0 for that tile?

Your first bullet is right, the second not. If the crit chance triggers, it doubles the entire damage. That, approximately, is the same as ignoring the stack effect in both steps (from an expected value point of view).

Likewise with blind, if a blinded troop is assigned to the tile, then the entire damage of the tile can be lost, not just the proportional share of the blind hero.

A place where this greatly hurts is with the new class ability. Suppose you have Natalya and Gravemaker and drop a red match. Only those tiles with Natalya’s troops can trigger her Delay, and only those of Gravemaker can trigger Wound.

1 Like

Thanks for the thourough explanation!
So second option in OP was the right one.

Your consideration on the new class abilities is very interesting, cause if I get it right it means that stacking colors will kind of nerf abilities based on tile hits.
I’ll try to make it clearer what I mean with an example: let’s say I use Gravemaker in attack and there are 9 red tiles on the board. Any of those tiles will have a chance to deliver the additional Wound damage.
However, if I brought also Wilbur and Natalya, with the very same board, only 3 on average of the 9 red tiles will have a chance to apply Wound, while the other 6 will apply Nat’s and Wil’s ability.

This means that from the ability point of view (at least abilities based on tile hits) color stacking creates a resource contention among heroes, where the resources are tiles

1 Like

Exactly. Was this by design, I wonder, to penalize the extensive stacking commonly used now?