Will a Maxed Hero always have a Maxed Special Skill?

I have a couple of heroes I’m building up where their special skill has not improved relative to the level they are at. I am always using 10 of the correct color at a time. Will this even out in the end, or is it possible a hero reaches their max and their skill has not?

Very possible with 3* heroes and below, extremely unlikely with 4*, and almost impossible with 5*.

You can continue to feed fully levelled 3* heroes to completely max their skills, though it’s obviously a waste of fodder.

2 Likes

With 3*s it is very common to max out in levels without getting 8/8 on the special. My oberon is maxed with only 4/8 for example. If you’re feeding 10 at a time then you have a good chance of getting the special up, but can always get unlucky.

1 Like

The analysis has been done somewhere in the forum - forgive me for not having the link - and I think the conclusion was that to maximise the chance of improving your 3* hero’s special skill, you should feed them one hero at a time, not ten.

The logic is simple (though my numbers are arbitrary):

1.02^10 > 1 + (0.02 x 10)

Edit: which is to say, if you do something with a 2% chance of success ten times, you’ve got a better chance of succeeding than if you do something with a 20% chance of success one time. Plus, of course, if you feed your hero ten times, their special skill might improve more than once. If you feed them once then there’s no chance of that.

I’d like it if someone would link to the actual work so you wouldn’t need to rely on my half-remembered ravings.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info guys!

This had been bugging me, though - I don’t think that math makes sense, to be honest, nor most of the % occurrence assumptions I see all over this board. People seem to think that if something has 2% chance of happening, that it will be guaranteed to happen once if you do it 50 times. In reality, each occurrence is a separate event, and each time that 2% stands alone and is very unlikely. You can’t add up a bunch of 2% tries and get better odds. It’s always 2%, each time.

EDIT - this is actually really helpful. It’s a drop chance probability calculator for another game. The formula is this:

overall chance = 1 - ( ( 1 - x ) ^ y )
where x=% chance, and y=number of tries

This page does the math for you - Drop chance probability | Engadget

So a 2% chance done 10 times = 18.29272% of success as opposed to a 20-24% chance one time. It’s not a huge difference, but it looks like it’s better to go 10 at a time, especially if you have several 2* in there and can get the chance up over 25%.

2 Likes

You’re right: the maths doesn’t make sense. That’s because I’m an idiot and dashed something off without engaging my brain. Sorry.

As you say, the correct comparison would be:

1 - 0.98^10 < 0.02 x 10

(Which is the exact opposite of the nonsense I spouted.)

Let me look for the detailed discussion some smart people had and try to post the link so that I don’t make even more of an idiot of myself.

1 Like

No worries bro! I am glad we have some sort of logical math work going on with this game. I actually have a math degree and took a lot of probability and statistics classes, but remembering all of those formulas 25 years later when I don’t use them often is impossible. I’d love to see that thread if you eventually find it. I was surprised that the chances using single heroes to level up was anywhere close to the 10 at a time number, let alone 18%, so that’s somewhat good to know.

Thanks.

1 Like

Got it. Hope you enjoy it - I did.

Suggesting you read the whole thread, btw, not just the OP.

2 Likes

Thanks! I have read the entire thing and that helps a bunch.

What you were missing is the odds of getting multiple special increases from 10 feeder if fed singly.

Surest route is to use color-matched 1* feeders, in whatever quantity. Once I’ve got a 4* or 5* hero far enough up in an ascension, I stop using 1* feeders with them and use them for a smaller hero. This approach saves ham. So building a 3* team while polishing off 4* and 5* works.

3 Likes

This however, all assumes the % figures down in the game are accurate and not simply a game element designed to encourage player interest.

I’m not convinced the %s in the game are accurate… Without tracking, I’ve been messing with this, and find that I consistently get an increase using one hero at a time 10x, and less frequently if I use 10 heroes at a time.

It’s probably all in my head, but I do seem to get more special skill increases with 1 hero at a time. I recently got 3 SS increase in 11 single hero level ups…

What to do… :disappointed:

1 Like

I think it’s more important to use only 1 and 2 * feeders.
The% Rise / EP chance is higher with them.

you are neglecting the fact that feeind one at a time you can have skill velel increase more than once, while it is exactly once with 10 at a time

1 Like

Having several 2s in there may hurt more than help. The 2 feeder does have a higher percentage as well as saving ham, but that extra exp means fewer times leveling. Those fewer times mean fewer chances to increase that skill level.

The big change not mentioned in those way old posts is the 100% chance of raising the skill level an otherwise maxed hero gets when you feed a single dupe hero.

What gives you the answer is the Law of Large Numbers.
Law of large numbers - Wikipedia.

If you feed one by one or 10 at a time - It makes no difference for the speed of leveling up the special skill. :relaxed:
Though it might make a difference in your hero roster management if you don’t have a lot of slots yet :upside_down_face: