VOTE: PURPLE WAR TANK - Who the 2nd best after Bera?

Well, for starters Dr. Moreau certainly has S4 powercreeped stats, (842atk/889def/1554hp), but not sure if is on par with more proeminent tanks. That Krampus at the flank looks like this: 697/1003/1584, and that C. Kadilen (not necessarily a tank by profession, but surely well regarded as one) at the wing is 728/980/1511, just for comparison. Those 100+ defense points must make a difference.

That being said, he died with roughly 6 tiles. Granted there was one crit and 20% damage bonus from the cascade, but it was all probably overkill, because the first match left the guy already near 40% hp.

Now, what if he actually managed to fire? Hit x 2-3 at 500ish damage plus a blind effect. That wouldn’t be hard to recover from or even mitigate it.

Judging from the first video, I’m not convinced running this guy as a tank is that much better than Clarissa, for example.

But anyway, if it was too hard to draw any conclusions from the first video, I managed to find another Dr. Moreau. This one had an even lower defense, but I actually got him to fire at me at the second attempt.

https://youtu.be/6L8tuYbcIVA → Dies early before firing again.
https://youtu.be/A7ZJsEpCL-8 → Fires, but Garnet easily mitigates the blind effect.

Bera and Freya have all similar stats (800-900 defense) but if they fire, their impact is much higher. Plus that mana cut on death ensures some impact even if the opponent get great boards. Dr. Moreau imo is probably a top choice for flank or even wing positions, but I’m not seeing a future for him as a tank, specially as we get to see more S4 heroes around. Again, take my opinion with a grain of salt, because maybe I’m not playing at your guy’s level.

Lol. That too, I guess.

1 Like

Thanks for the vids and assessment!

I’m about 30-40 raids in against Dr Moreau tank over the last 1-2 weeks because some alliances mates maxed him real fast and were nice enough to let me test it out through friendly battles. I honestly have come to a similar conclusion as you. I was able to keep my percentage win in the 80%+ alternating between all my mono war teams, and most of my losses weren’t because of him, but mostly Frigg and/or Odin wrecking me on bad boards.

I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of him at flank and wing with those red tanks out there. He’s essentially a Drake on roidz, which makes him perfect for that role… but IMHO he’s not ahead of Bera or Freya at tank. The only thing with Freya is that she’s pretty passive, meaning you have to surround her by aggressive damage dealing flanks, like Frigg and Odin, or Frigg and GM in my case because I don’t have Odin.

Have a great weekend all! Was a fun discussion.

2 Likes

In my testing of my +20 Dr. Moreau at tank in diamond I concur. C. Domitia gives me higher win rates at tank than the Dr does. I’m shifting him to wing, but not certain he’s better than a Jabberwock even there.

1 Like

He’s better at flank because you want him to blind the attackers earlier not later.

Also consider that leaderboard contains mostly people that have done a good attack run.
I go up to top 100 twice a day with a BK tank team, stay there for an hour or so playing the game, and as soon as I log off I go down to 2k6.

I would do the same with a crappy defense team (except that I would go further than 2k6). That’s probably the case with gullin tanks and probably a fair number of people running, for instance a Clarissa in defense team.

When I tank Freya I do exactly the same. She does not hold long in the 2k8 universe (top100).
I used to have a high defense success rate with BK and garnet but now people are used to them and have found how to beat them. I think only bera can hold you high enough.