šŸ… [Second Raid Tournament] Discussion and Feedback on the Updated Raid Tournament Matchmaking & Difficulty Bonus

@Starlynk

How do you beat this guy?

Not 100% sure, but I believe I brought 2 greens (Belith and Tuck), 2 yellow (Bane and Kailani) and 1 red (Azar). Killed Gunnar before he could fire, then killed Belith before she could fire, put up spirit link with Kailani so his remaning snipers couldnā€™t kill my heroes and picked them off. Not completely sure if I brought Bane in this fight or not, but I think I did cause I wanted 2 tile colors to be able to attack Gunnar, and Iā€™m pretty sure about the rest, and canā€™t imagine taking 2 reds against a Gunnar tank :stuck_out_tongue:

This statement is correct, that sand-bagging your defense will lower the points you get from your defense. A loss of 700 (900-200) points each day for four days is 2,800 points lower in the Tourney.

However, Iā€™m now convinced after suffering 3 losses in Day 2 of the Tourney, that i started my base defense team too strong. I wish i had sand-bagged my defense, and here is why:

For day 1 I earned 2,463 points for my 5 wins.
For day 2 I earned 1,660 points for my 2 wins and 3 losses.

If i lose one more time over the next two days I will be out of the Tourney. So, if i wake up tomorrow and have a bad board, or are over-matched and cannot skip, i lose and iā€™m out 2,400 points for Day 3, and 2,400 points for Day 4, or the approximate amount of points i would have gotten from winning 10 more battles.

If i lose my first battle tomorrow, i will have lost approximately 5,600 (800 day 2 + 2,400 day 3 + 2,400 day 4) points in the tourney.

This is 2x more points lost for tougher matchups that if i had put 1* defense in and won 20 battles.

Winning your battles is a significantly more effective way to gain points than winning defense.

Sandbagging your defense does not limit who you fight. Who you fight is based off of your top 5 hero defense not the one you set. I set my around 2000, my best heroes were over 2400 points. 9 of my ten attacks have been defenses above 2400 points, including the first one out the gate.

What Sandbagging seems to do is limit the folks who can attack you. a lot of the folks hitting my defenses are in the 2200 range.

There is an issue in the way the defense points are calculated:
Since the defense points are based on defense % wins, if you get attacked only once in the round, you are pushed immediately to either the higher or lower rank depending on the result. In my case, 1 attack ā†’ one loss ā†’ instant 300 points lost. If each player was attacked 100 times the % approach would make sense, but in such small numbers it does not really makes sense. What I propose to be implemented is the following:

For each battle you get a grade depending on the amount of heroes your defense killed (for win is 5, for loss anything between 0 and 4). at the end of the tournament day, the average heroes killed per defense battle gives you the score: 4-5 average = rank A, 3-4 average =rank B, and so on. The limits can be later adjusted if the rank A becomes too difficult to get.

This way if you are attacked only once and you lose that battle, you are not necessarily pushed down to the lowest bracket automatically.

What do you think? @Petri?

SO many flawsā€¦ so many flaws

SO I go 5/5 today after going 3/5 yesterday. Now the most points I have been offered in a fight is 508. The leaders are averaging 550+ a fight. Kerridoc posted his 5/5 yesterday and his highest was just over 500 points. SO its not how many you win or your defense determining who you faceā€¦ Why do some people get the opportunity to earn so many points in a attack and others are stuck with low points offered to them? The whole thing either is totally broke or a lottery system in stead of a tournament.
TO add i am 16/26 yesterday and 11/20 today SO A score yesterday now B score today. Yet others get attacked once or twice a day.

SG acknowledge the fact things are still broken. Own up to it. Otherwise you are stating everything is working as intended this time around. Which means this is a lottery not a tournament. Which means there was no need to reduce loot, which means this is a massive failure in my book.

Just communicate clearly and effectively with us. PLEASE

In this article they state that: ā€œThe difficulty of enemies that the players face at the beginning of the Tournament is now determined by the strength of their Tournament Defense Team.ā€

If this statement is true, then my argument is true. If it is not true, then i will agree with you. However, your response is the first time iā€™ve ever heard that opponents are based off of your maximum tourney defense team power, and not the team you actually set.

1 Like

to be honest everyone is just making stuff up at this point and have been since the beginning of the first tournament.

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has a clue how this thing is really suppose to work.
Everyone is just theorizing and not one theory I have seen in this forum has come close to being correct.

Until SG tells us how things are suppose to work its all conjecture.
I do not for once believe that if 2 people have an identical defense on day one that their first opponents will be worth the same amount of points. You can see that from the posts throughout the forum and comparing what little information we all have. It is just barely enough to see that no one has figured it out.

SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SG tell us how it is suppose to work

2 Likes

Very well, you are correct on this.

1 Like

Iā€™m 9 for 10 with simillar point average wins and sit in top 1%. Defense grade has been C. Seems like if you do well, you are ranked high. This is sooooo much better than the perfect tournament I had the first time and ended up in the 10-25% tier.

Raids have been challenging, requiring actual thought. Thankfully 3* heroes are squishy and even bad boards can be won.

WHAT??
I am 8/10 had an A score yesterdsay I am one win on defense off from being A score again today.
I am in 1-5% atm I am sure it will drop later today as more people log on.
What is your average points being offered on offense?

The loot is silly in my opinion. You have to be in the top 1%-5% to just get a 1% vs. a 99% chance for an ascension item that could actually be used. Not really worth 4 days time if you ask me. Developers said in the QA last month that they donā€™t want the game to end too fast for people. Well, the game has ended because hero progression is halted earlier rather than later.

1 Like

They also said they wanted to add more ways to get AM . Then they take it away because of their own errors that they still canā€™t fix.
Basically I feel most of what they said in the AMA is a lie.

Rewards are garbage because we are in pre alpha testing. Does not make sense to repeat the insult made in first tournament to 95% of players.

+1
Emblems are making it worst. And RNG emblems distribution ever worst. But thatā€™s another story.

To go back to tournament, I promess that in one year it will work, SG spirit inside :slight_smile:

Yes, thatā€™s what they said but each time they add a new way to get something they nerf previous way to get it. So at the end you still can get anything.
Rare titan were supposed to deliver more AM 4*. I got one still they appear
Chest War were supposed to be nice chest. First one was then nothing
Elemental chest are now filled with AM you can farm. The jokeā€¦

After two years playing the game, I guess itā€™s better to remain a F2P instead of P4N (Pay 4 Nothing). Donā€™t put expectation to high and just have fun with your alliance.The P2W ticket is just for some crazy guys

I am actually getting defense opportunities now so thatā€™s a plus. And matchmaking seems balanced overall, although that could just be because 3* heroes are/should be widely available. I might not feel the same way if it was 3*/4* rules. This could just be me because I have a ton of useful 3* maxed in every color and only a handful of 4*. Other people that have a fleet of 4* but no 3* might have trouble taking advantage of the buff boost or building effective teams to attack their match-ups.

One important discrepancy though and may need to be a consideration for an adjustment/feature for future tournaments: EMBLEMS

Even with a healthy 3* toolbox and color stacking options, it can be a nightmare facing multiple heavily emblemed defenders. Those players w +18 Melia, +12 Belith, etc also have a pretty big advantage on attack as well.

I think this is an unhealthy discrepancy for the tournament format where, in my opinion, the only advantage a player should have is more roster options to cleverly take advantage of a particular rule set. Including emblems here means that certain players have access to the same heroes but they are of a better quality, and that seems unfair.

Iā€™m not sure how to deal with this discrepancy. On one hand, those players sacrificed the emblems and ham and iron and have a right to use the hero that they built. But on the other, it skews the competition aspect too much and in a way forces you to choose to focus on a single tournament rule set if you want to compete for top spots. Many skilled players probably feel that embleming 3* heroes is a waste. And those committed, competitive players that save emblems for 4/5* are also the ones who (probably) most enjoy participating in tournaments.

I have two ideas to address this, but would love to hear more from the groupā€¦

1. Reset/disable emblems for tournament play (easy, simple fix to level playing field)

2. All participants receive a set amount of tournament emblems of each class that they can distribute freely prior to tournament start (still same opportunity for all players but adds another element of strategy)
    *this would also allow players to ā€œtestā€ emblems on certain heroes which would be super cool!

1 Like

See you are missing the point. The emblems are what is making this interesting and are the point.

Do you use emblems on your 3s for the tournament or save for your 4/5

That should not be changed

The matchmaking is not working at all, because the points are not making sense. I guaantee people who 20/20 will finish below people who finish 18/20

Still donā€™t understand what SG is trying to do with the matchmaking. Why are some teams attacked 20-30 times and others only 1. This makes no sense. It seems they are working too hard to manipulate matchups and not just going with some sort of basic process to start. Seems like it would be easier to start basic and then try to tweak if necessary.

Randomly assign players to 4 pools. Players attack and are attacked by players within their pool for the first two days. Once a player has been attacked 5 times in a day, he canā€™t be attacked any more than that.

For the 3rd day, pools are 1-25%, 26-50%, 51-75% and 76-100%. - repeat process for 4th day.

Points won are based upon a combination of the TP of the team you are facing (50%) and the record of that team previously (50%). If you are able to beat better teams you should get more points.

For the love of god, stop trying to create ā€œfairā€ matchups, all it does is make it unfair for most people. This plan will still have a large random element, but there is no reasonable way to overcome that with this large a field and this short of period.

10 wins, one defence, which i lost, and 1200 points behind the leaderā€¦

This format will not work unless the amount of times you defend is the same for all players.
After all we all get the same number of attacks.
How is it possible some people have BEEN attacked 30+ times and i have BEEN attacked only onceā€¦
Also the last 4 fights i won today, the opponents went down in TP, hence easierā€¦

#omni-shambles

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been pleased with the changes. Iā€™m sure there will be further refinement but compared to where we were with the first tournament, this second iteration has been a pleasant surprise. The matchmaking makes more sense and the competition, at least by my experience was much more appropriate as a result. My defense team is getting attacked as well. Iā€™ve seen some concern that there is still an imbalance based on the number of times each defense team is being attacked and there is some validity to that, however, defense teams are scored based on a percentage of wins for their performance, not for the number of wins themselves so to me there is already some balance in place. I think SG would be hard pressed to ensure everyone got attacked an equal amount of times no matter their matchmaking algorithm and honestly I think itā€™s unrealistic if thatā€™s anyoneā€™s expectation. Iā€™m excited to see enough improvement that hopefully theyā€™ll remove the loot restriction for future tournaments. Overall, Iā€™m enjoying the new content