Raids: fair or unfair?

If I’m raiding for the chest I do some attacks, log out and then revenge on the new attackers.

My rerolls are all near the 0-15/40 spot to start filling the chest, with my rooster I don’t have problems doing so but I could hardly beat top teams with a good winning rate.

Hi Frosty, I don’t doubt that food can be an issue. I’ve only being playing since may and have spent no money, so it’s not long since I was a beginner. I’ve worked for what I have and sometimes a game should be challenging.

Part of the game is good resource management. If you have to wait and hour to get more food, then wait, and upgrade your farms, stronghold and play more levels.

Sup Frosty, the post you are referring to was written at the heights of exasperation and irritation. I was very tired of reading the same complaints, over and over, by folks who would not share specifics of their problem and seemed very resistant to taking any advice. Maybe it says something about the feelings of the gamers here that my ‘mean’ post garnered more positive responses than almost anything else I have ever posted, lol. :wink:

I do remember your back-and-forth with @Brobb and it seems you are genuine in the issues you are facing. I WILL agree that raiding gets a bit easier when you have a large stable of heroes to choose from and dont need to reroll much.

I pretty much have used the same raid setup for months now. Just to give a little background, I started playing in jan/feb and have a fairly large variety of maxed 4* heroes. My usual raid setup is Zeline (one of my few HOTMs and my strongest hero), Wu, and then 3 of the strong color vs tank. If the strong color happens to be green or yellow, I’ll add Kiril to the mix.

A couple months ago I got my son into E&P and many times I wind up farming and/or raiding for him. He is at a level comparable to yours and I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I think at this point in your team development the best thing you can do would be to level, level, level. As i write this, he is leveling Carver, Prisca, etc…yes, not the best heroes but we have to work with what we have, and they WILL be useful doubling or tripling green or dark. Forgo some of the rerolls and as @Perilin suggested, use that food to build feeder heroes and MAX every 3* you can get your hands on.

I seem to recall that you have a bit of an outlier-type team, consisting of Wu and a bunch of healers. Indeed, a high variance group of heroes prone to wild swings of tile fortune :neutral_face: But I see no reason why you can’t be competitive at your level. You shouldn’t be seeing too many 4s and 5s while raiding, but if you are, log off for a while, lose some of those cups and then come back on and raid some teams closer to your team power.

Let’s say you are facing a Rigard tank (a very decent tank, imho). Triple up with Wu, Kailani, and Bane for example…knock him out, and ghost tiles all the way to victory. I don’t know how your ‘leveling’ skills are, but when i was starting, I concentrated on getting at least 3 3*s of each color and leveled 5 heroes at a time, one in each color. Learn from the vets here and your raiding WILL improve, slowly but surely. @lexinen listed some great resources a few posts back…check them out and if you are having specific issues, feel free to hit any of us up. Best of luck to you, mate!

6 Likes

Others have said the same thing, I do give leveling the priority though, right after trying to finally get some red heroes. Camp 12 is running non-stop. Right now the score is 3 4* heroes and 25 3* heroes and still Hawkmoon is my only red one (versus 10 green ones). I’ve even started to finish leveling Shaarkot now, one of the first-hour heroes that I still have, to have at least something more in red.

Anyway, I’m beginning to develop the possibility to switch heroes. This is definitely the key to better raids.

Maybe one of my biggest problems is that I aim to high when it comes to the number of cups, and that attacks on me fail in about 35-40% of the cases. I usually do not drop 200 in cups overnight, more like 80 or so. So I definitely do meet a lot of 4* and 5* teams. With my number of cups the average enemy that is selected for me is probably somewhere around 2950-3000 TP. Hence the frequent re-rolling. Plus of course the need to avoid enemies with stronger green or yellow tanks.

Having said all of that, the raids are still already a whole lot better then right before I wrote my first post here. Perception? I’ll probably never know for sure…

Anyway, thanks for your answer and advice (you and others who have done so). Things will get better, I just need to have patience.

3 Likes

You’re definitely on the right track.

And one Hawkmoon can complete levels on province 12 single handed!

But wishing you some better luck soon.

If you’re ever in the market for a new alliance, we’d love someone like you in Guardians Ascending, moving on to Guardians Reborn as you progress :blush:

2 Likes

Maybe so, but I’m already heavy on healers and I’ll take Kiril or Belith over Hawkmoon anytime :wink:

And thanks for your offer. I’ll definitely keep it in mind! :blush:

Just to illustrate this, I was attacked twice when I was writing here and I won 21 cups :blush:

2 Likes

Okay, I have an example here of a game where most everything went right and still I got slaughtered. Enemy TP is just 2815, a ‘mere’ 200 over mine:

What happened is the I got plenty of shots on the tank (Boldtusk I believe) with yellow, which is supported by two of my heroes. But just as I was close to finishing him, his mana bar was filled up and all hell broke loose. My heroes where all still standing and still in pretty decent shape, but in one turn the only one left was Wu Kong, with only 29 HP. I know that Boldtusk is a tank to be reckoned with, but still…

Unless you were matching blue, setting up a blue match, cascading to search for blue tiles, or had no other choice, I would avoid hitting BT in the middle. I would focus on the right side of the defense (Balthazar, Bane) to try and charge my heroes’ mana.

But sometimes you are not given a choice XD.

1 Like

The rabbit and Grimm both hit very hard and they would have attack increased further. Balthazar and bane also have high Attack for 3*.

It’s a perfect storm

1 Like

When I first saw your post, I was sorta occupied and thought it was a video…when I came back to look at it later, I realized my mistake. But I can envision how this went…After BT regained alot of his health and buffed everyone, then Grimm probably nailed you with pulverizer and lowered your heroes def (on top of BTs +att) Not familiar too much with rabbit, but I imagine it was pretty simple for his 3* strikers to cream the rest of your crew at that point. That sucks, bro. Just the way it goes sometimes…that sort of negative (from ur point of view) synchronicity happens sometimes, to me included, lol.

As another poster suggested, maybe concentrate on the right side, or, as you level more heroes, if you are hitting a full 4*-70 like your opponent’s Bolttusk with heroes who are less developed (Kiril at 3-60 and Graymane 3-50) try adding a 3rd blue in the mix, maybe Valen (ideally) or Karil. That’s what I do, I look at the ‘leveled’ strength of the tank to decide how many and what * power I will need to knock them out as quick as I can. As an example, if I’m facing a 5* red who is at 3-70 (3rd ascension, level 70), I’ll take 2 blue 4*-70- for the job…if however, I’m facing a full 5* at 4-80, many times I’ll take a 3rd blue 4*-70 to guarantee a speedy death.

It also depend on WHICH red tank I’m facing, as certain ones have lower def/hp (like Elena 578, 1312) than others (Marjana, for instance 712, 1404). Bolttusk is a fairly beefy hero, as def/hp (711, 1107) goes and might require additional firepower in comparison to let’s say, Scarlett (507, 1039). Good Luck :wink: Later, Frosty

Why cant we opt out of all raiding? This forced pvp and allowing outside forces to raid me is turning me off of this game quick. I may just delete it and give a negative review. Im sick of every game forcing pvp.

You dont have to raid.
Once your cups are low enough compared to your team strength nobody will bother you.

3 Likes

Some extra points to consider when raiding:

The Glass Ceiling
We’re matched based on cups. If we fix our attack team, and grow cups with it, this means we run into increasingly tough opponents. This is known as the “glass ceiling”. You can really bump your nose into it, when you find out there’s this number of cups that’s just almost impossible to top.

The “glass ceiling” is at it’s hardest to notice when you’re actually still growing your team. Because it does raise with you as you raise your heroes. But that doesn’t mean it’s not there. And you can indeed hit it just as hard with a growing team. The “glass ceiling” explains a lot of raid losses.

Knowing your enemy
Just as you need to know your own team, you need to know your enemy as well. Know what your team lacks, and which defending heroes will rip you apart because of that. For me, for the longest time I knew I had to avoid riposte heroes at all costs. That changed after I added Caedmon to the team. Learn which defending heroes are your Angstgegners. And don’t count on a win when facing them.

Bad boards
What actually defines a “bad board”? Many of you claim it’s “very little combo’s and no combo of the color I desire”. That’s too much focus on wanting a certain color. A bad board actually is one that’s very hard to get moving. A bad board is an immobile board. So let’s put down a proper definition of a bad board, and include one for the worst board as well:

A bad board is one that only has 1 available 3 tile combo, the worst board is a bad board where this combo is at the bottom of the board.

Because only moving 3 tiles is what spells true trouble. You only get 3 fresh tiles in return. And if those tiles are at the bottom of the board that’s only 1 row that gets some refreshment further limiting opportunities.

So when facing a bad board, you don’t care about “strong color”, you don’t care about “hitting the tank”, all you should care for is mobilizing the board. Get as much fresh tiles as you can, because that’s where the mana and the damage is, and the right tiles at the right spot to take a hero down.

Tiles first
When you have a choice: 3 tiles right at the hero you want to hit (center/already damaged and low on mana) or 6 tiles at a less desirable spot (heroes near full health and mana built up). What if I told you going for the 6 tiles often is the winner strategy? Because you get 6 fresh tiles in return?

It does pay off to make a move that shuffles the board as much as possible. It’s of course the way out of a “bad board”. But it’s also the road to coveted diamonds and combo cascades.

There is risk involved though. When you cause a cascade, it’s not just your mana bars that fill up like mad. So you’ll find yourself bracing for impact. If you fielded a glass cannon offense team, that’s never a safe spot to be in. But if you field a decently survivable team, you’re going to win often by focussing more on having the board in strong motion.

Tunnelvision, aka “the tank must go down”
A pitfall in raiding is focussing overly on taking down one hero, typically the central tank. A smart defender anticipates this behaviour: the heroes that flank the tank are at that exact spot because they will get you in severe trouble by focussing on the tank. A smart defender has set up his flanks in such a way that you’re more prone to release the perfect storm on yourself if you focus blindly on the tank.

Sure enough it makes sense to kill the tank first. That in itself is not a bad strategy. But it’s not always the smartest move.

16 Likes

This was a great post in general and I would give you more hearts if I could. This bit I quoted and tank tunnel vision are (I think) my biggest problems.

And all I want to say is that if someone finds raids really frustrating, it can still be worth raiding outside of chest filling to practice. Don’t worry about cups, worry about experimenting and trying different things which will in the long run make filling that chest easier.

3 Likes

I want to completely opt out of the crappy pvp this game is being deleted

Well, I guess that’s one way to opt out of PvP. :smile:

Good luck in your future gaming adventures!

2 Likes

Deleted the game and quit playing earlier. I wont purchase or download anything with pvp again.

1 Like

Curious…Why not simply remove your defense team and consciously choose not to raid? Oh well, best of luck to you in your future gaming endeavors, We’ll (most of us anyway) be busy enjoying ourselves here…:wink:

1 Like