Balbar – 5* Nature / Green - November 2021 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

Add russell to the list!

Hopefully that’s just an oversight. If fiends and minions don’t affect sleep, it would be logical for the underwild tiles to also not affect it.

I drew my second one of these today in the costume chamber. Currently working Francine’s costume. Hopefully that hits 3/70 right around December 1, so I can do my Christmas pulls and see if Francine gets tonics now, or waits for a miraculous Mother North pull. Which means Balbar will be waiting a while for me. But he’s “on the list” of viable things to work on.

1 Like

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but keep in mind that when you use Balbar’s special on an enemy who’s already asleep, he wakes up, then immediately goes to sleep again. Have fun with it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Not oversight, actually. Look at this screenshot. Sleeping Sartana awakens by the hit of Underwild gem made by Lepiota.

This screenshot is from this video. You can see it cleary from about 3:20

First, Balbar’s skill can be resisted by clerics such as Mother North, Costume Alberich, and Prof. Liden. They are very difficult to deal with especially in rush attack war. I think this is not an issue cause all mana controllers can be resisted by clerics.

Second, sleeping enemies awaken by all kinds of DOT. Okay, I can accept this, too. Don’t use Balbar with all DOT makers. Okay.

Third, even Underwild gems wake them up. Now don’t use Balbar with Season 4 heroes? This is too much at least for me. This makes him too niche, IMHO.

I like all niche heroes. They have all their own places. But this guy is too niche, maybe?

4 Likes

When a sleeping target awakens, does it get awakened in the beginning of its next turn, or immediately?
In other words, can you cascade multiple skills with the sleeping buff, or limited to one?

I didn’t mean your oversight, but SGs. Surely it’s a mistake in programming… I hope.

He awakens immeditately after the first damage.

3 Likes

Thanks!

20 thanks more.

Exactly.

He is a match / game finisher.

Sometimes you get destroyed and you lose almost no matter what. He will most likely not change that.

Sometime you win almost no matter what. He will probably contribute but not that significantly.

Sometimes the game goes and both attack and defense teams diminish and annoyingly there are few heroes left and just because there is a healer left in the defense and you have lost most of your attacking power eventually you lose at the end. Even if you do not hit the healer directly he eventually charges time runs out.

Balbar may put this healer to sleep so he does not fire and does not charge. Then you should have enough time to ghost tiles and charge Balbar again. 300% sniper damage is not a lot but is increased by 60% at the moment the target is awaken so it will be solid. If I am not mistaken it will be 300 x 1.6 = 480% which is a good sniper damage.

In the beginning of the match he obviously can be used on the defense wing heroes.

With high level mana troops he will have a decent chance to fire twice and if he repeats he can take a target out.

1 Like

Obviously he is more a raid attack hero than raid defense hero.

However, I guess it could be very annoying him being on defense to put to sleep an attacking team healer or cleanser.

Then the attack team will have to wait for random slash damage (defense teams do not hit with tiles) to wake the attacking team hero up which may not happen soon enough.

Yes, there are much better heroes than him out-there but he is not that bad.

Some adjustments to his special may broaden his usage but he is OK for HOTM.

Actually this is something they can and should improve about Balbar.

Exclude DOT and all other ‘accidental’ damage from waking up the sleeping hero.

Leave only tiles and direct special skill damage as reason for awaking a sleeping hero.

This way the player has control (excluding accidental cascades) more or less over the game.

At least if you have accidental cascade you get to charge your heroes.

with DOT you can be careful, maybe, with AOE attacker you can be careful to not take them.

What about Barbarians bleeding damage. You should not take Barbarians in the attack team because they may wake up the sleeping target.

For example Black Knight does not deal direct damage but can apply bleeding.

That probably means that the hero with the bleeding ailment is somewhat in advantage against Balbar.

Such hero will be awaken from the bleeding damage for 5 turns, therefore ‘Barbarian Bleeding’ can be seen as protection against Balbar sleeping ailment.

The more Barbarians you take the more insignificant Balbar could be.

Clerics and Monks can resist Balbar right away and if you have to wait enemy heroes with bleeding out there will be not much left for Balbar to fight against.

4 Likes

The bad reviews are due to the fact that they are a way too many accidental small damages that currently can awake a sleeping hero.

The star light in his special is the sleeping and if awaken in the right moment the 60% increase in the damage the sleeping hero gets.

In the current version of his special there are too many heroes that either resist Balbar (which is OK as Clerics and Monks generally resist negative effects) but also still too many options for accidental very weak damage (underwild gem, DOT, missing hero tile, Barbarian bleed, and there may be more) to wake up the sleeping hero. So he is becoming more like a liability for the team and since he is not one man army hero and can not win the fight by himself then this is a problem.

This will effectively cancel points 2, 3 & 4 of the special. So what is left.

Elemental link that is not very good to begin with.

Sniper damage 300% that is too weak by itself especially for AVERAGE mana hero.

2 Likes

But do not test this on CLERIC or MONK or you will test your luck.

First time asleep - GREAT, second time resist - NOT good.

However, second time with 60% damage increase should kill the hero so not much of an issue there.

Maybe change to:

• the target can only be awakened by attacks from normal damage and special skills

By doing this, he can ensure that passive damage like DOT and those effects covered will be amplified by the sleep and not wake the enemy.

But everyone’s just so obsessed with the sleep I don’t know why because he legit has a small advantage over lepiota. Especially in war where you’re facing some heroes that work really well in the wings and can stall for days. He can sleep them to stall for time while the rest ghost for tiles whereas leppy can’t, she may hinder more than help in that situation.

Imo the sleep is fine as it is, the damage amplifier of 60% is the bigger problem for him. It is too low and not worth the hassle for regular raids.

I’ve been testing Balbar in raids on 3-70 and decided I’ll be maxing him. Along with a Kingston/Lianna, the process usually goes like this:
Sleep target, ghost or build tiles, hit with Kingston/Lianna, at this stage Balbar is usually full again and can immediately put the target to sleep again. I’ve repeatedly found that you can hit/sleep/hit/sleep the target without them having a chance to fire.
Apart from unexpected cascades, you can really keep the tiles away from the sleeping enemy and it’s one less hero to deal with.
I actually took Balbar into this latest rush war at 3-70 and kept Heimdall out of commission for long enough to win the match.

8 Likes

Interesting point. He will be useful in wars as there is no formation issues. Shut the wing revivers till you can work your way out.

1 Like

I used him in both of the last wars at 3/1. He was very useful in keeping the wings asleep in the attack up war for pretty much the entire battle while I focused on the tank and the flanks due to no cascades, but during rush attack, the cascades were not in my favor.

2 Likes

Probably due to my playing style, I fed him to the pigs :grin:.
Tried him several times at 3/70 but nothing outstanding. He’s an ok hero but not great. And with what’s out there now, mediocre will get you killed.

When I got him I thought he’d be great on defense because then sleeps would only be broken by special skills. I haven’t tried him there. Absolutely no one in the poll at the beginning of this thread thinks so. I’m not sure why. Actually looked for this thread to see how he was being used on defense.

1 Like

I believe slash attacks from the defense can also awaken a sleeping attack hero.