Balbar – 5* Nature / Green - November 2021 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

I agree with several comments on this topic. Has something missing to make this hero a little useful:
Perhaps just ONE of the following suggestions:
-make it mana very fast
-increase damage to 400%
-60% of increased damage remaining for the whole turn
-increase only the waking damage to 100%
-decrease the mana generation by 35% for 3 turns after waking up
-decrease the precision of the target by 35% for 3 turns after waking up
-create a demon over the target before or after waking up

For now this hero is quite limited and doesn’t have a significant impact in gameplay, as it’s very difficult to keep the target away from the tile damages.

1 Like

Offf. Yup. I drew him on a coin pull today. Probably will only keep two copies of Balbar, as I like to keep two of any hotm i get. Will be interesting see if he gets any further buffs/nerfs in the coming months!

Got him and Luigi. Excited about having 2 misfit projects (although I really like both of them). Will level Balbar first and will come back with my thoughts when he is at 3/70

6 Likes

But unsure on this dude… My green team is pretty soild so won’t make that…

5 Likes

2 do seem like they’d be fun. Go to sleep. Smack. Send back to sleep again.

1 Like

He has synergy with motega and Freya. The butterflies will increase any damage to the sleeping enemies without waking up them up. And the ravens are going to screw those sleeping targets

1 Like

Have had a bit of a play with him at 2/60. The 1/2 punch is really impressive. This Heim at 1183 defense gets a total of 1502 health taken off him when paired with one of the strongest hitters in the game Gefjon. In practice I will probably run him with C Lianna due to the color matching and her hit wlil not be quite as strong, but not too far off. He should also be able to give 300-400 damage by the end rather than the high 100s as he is doing now (also - his special in this video was at level 5, so the damage multiplier will increase too).

The other aspect of his special is trickier, that of getting the sleep to stick. My thinking is he will be most useful in VF wars. He can do a 1-2 punch to take out Alfrike, and then perhaps put the corner mother north to sleep or again do the 1-2 punch depending on whether you need the firepower elsewhere (Lianna also has mana slow so perhaps that will be used on the other corner mn). Of course there are 3 other heroes in play but that is how I see Balbar used, in conjunction with a strong sniper giving flexibility in how it is used. Some people were saying you may need to pair him up with say Evelyn and a sniper but at this stage it doesn’t look like you need the 3rd hero to be able to take out (most) heroes.

5 Likes

I still think the extra damage from sleep should be increased because what this means is he’s compensating his weak 300% damage by giving the next attack 60% more attack. You can use a second sniper and accomplish the same results anyways. Compensation of that damage is not enough, he needs to to assist more in that aspect. Maybe an increase to 120% would be better.

But he is more flexible than a second sniper, and gives you the option to put the klil shot on hold, and then to potentially finish it off with a sniper a few turns later. Also I think with buffs and debuffs him + sniper will be more powerful than 2 snipers

I did a little bit of a test just now. At 1:1 him and another sniper did about the same as 2 snipers, just about 200-300 damage lesser. But I still think the damage should have been increased, because he’s average speed. Maybe my suggested 120% is too much of an overkill, 80% then

Thanks for your review! BTW, Mother North & Costumed Alberich are Clerics, so they could resist to Balbar. The one thing that made me hesitate to feed Balbar is the fact that sleeping enemy awakens by the hit of Underwild gem. That means it’s not possible to use him with Seanson 4 heroes. I think this needs to be modified or fixed. What do you think?

3 Likes

How many of these old men should I keep, is there any use to holding 5 Balbars haha. I thought 9 Alexandrines was a lot but this tops it :joy:

8 Likes

I also use Elradir a lot. He’s together with Evelyn. I didn’t have any other choices at the time I maxed him, and a glut on tonics, so it was an easy choice. Damage is similar to Elkaden (the other option to hand), and the weird damage reflect has actually turned battles occasionally.

1 Like

This is the reason they should allow Hotm to hotm retrain in HA😂

My last HA retrain :rofl:

4 Likes

Omg bad luck with the Leonidas. Haha well I can’t even retrain as I’m not close to HA10 yet, so they are taking up way too much space in my roster!

2 Likes

I agree with you… He looks like a ■■■■… I up him and not satisfied :unamused::unamused::unamused:

I tried to farm with two of him… however hard I tried, the tiles keep waking up the ‘sleeping ‘ heroes so it defies the objective. I can’t see any use of him unfortunately.

Got him from NT

Personally I like him, also he is big upgrade to my green roster as my only other green 5* are Elradir (maxed) and Horghall (waiying for HA) so yes, I’m happy.

5 Likes

I’ll probably end up ascending him to mess around with him. Fully emblemed Lianna after him has been hitting for 1300-1400ish damage, which pretty much guarantees a kill vs all but the beefiest of defenders and did guarantee a kill with a tile or two. I still think that his best use is to nullify a wing, but this does give him quite a bit of flexibility. I have Evelyn so I’m really not in dire need of a damage boost, but I’ve had very little trouble avoiding waking the wing for extended periods of the match

One thing that bothers me is that the sleeping enemies awaken by the single hit of Underwild gem as far as I know. I have Garjammal (+18), so it would be fun to use Balbar and Garjammal together if they don’t awaken by the gem. It’s the issue for me. The sleeping enemies don’t awaken by the hits of fiends & minions. Then why should they awaken by the hit of Underwild gem? Its damage is 50. It’s small. How about fixing this?

2 Likes