Balbar – 5* Nature / Green - November 2021 HOTM (Hero of the Month) -- Initial Release

One would hope the AI would be wise enough not to wake the sleeping enemy, right?

What were the devs going for with Sleep?

1. Certainly more than just a 60% increase in damage good for just a couple of turns (couple because of odds of awakening target by tile) until hit by sniper, which is a strategy proposed by some when pairing him with a sniper.

2. Sleep, which can be stacked with +atk, is strong, but in offense in that case Sleep just becomes a means to add a new stackable debuff. And, it requires charging a +atk buff, then Sleep, then followed by a sniper. All without awakening the target with a stray tile within a few turns. Low odds in even a Rush format and a very niche setting at that.

3. Sleep itself is his main weapon and sleeping the wing of a formation requires that the flank on that side is only hit by a sniper or “minor damage to nearby enemies”. Not very good if the flank on that side needs to be a target.

Idk, Defense is the only place where his Sleep effect seems to have any chance of being very effective. Hopefully the AI is smart enough to figure that out. Otherwise, he’ll be stuck sleeping the wing of a formation for life on offense. Often there are glass cannons out there…but still.

I’m going to set mine up on defense on the wing. Hopefully my Alliance will humor me and let me know how he works there.

Thanks for the opportunity to think this through.

Version 42 Beta 3 - New HOTM Feedback: Balbar (5*/Nature)

Players thought the Hero was weak as his skill which had targets fall asleep was easily countered. They also thought that his average speed would affect this skill as enemies would attack before it was activated.

Suggestions

• Increase his damage to 500% or completely rework the “sleeping skill” so that targets can receive higher damage in order to be woken or have targets stay asleep for at least 2 turns
  • Make him very fast and lower the direct damage to 270%
  • Leave him average but hit 3 targets with lower direct damage and have targets wake up after 200-250 damage
  • Give him another effect such as “Caster gains 20% bonus mana generation for every sleeping enemy”

worst 2021 HOTM
:man_shrugging:

6 Likes

If I’m reading that correctly, that was the feedback from beta before he was released. Yet they still released him?

How about if tile damage would only awaken the enemy if it was the color he was weak against?

Bummer they made him Druid, craping out minions that could nullify his special skill.

The sleep is not removed by damage from minions and fiends

2 Likes

Oh yeah! Forgot they switched that. Whoops! Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Yes now only problem are stones from s4 heroes, he can’t play with them :joy:

1 Like

Has anyone actually tried Balbar on Titans? Does his special stack with Franz’?

Is the sleep status ailment non-cleansable? In today’s alliance war, my Skadi was hit with Balbar; Skadi did not withstand and fell asleep - I fired Prof Lind and Skadi remained asleep.

So, this has me under the impression that the sleep ailment cannot be cleansed. Balbar’s card does not specify the sleep ailment is non-cleansable, so I am a bit confused

1 Like

That is correct, it is non cleansable which means you are at the mercy of random hits to wake up your hero.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. I believe SG needs to do a better job with the text on his card, it does not specify the effect is not cleansable.

1 Like

Agree. Seems today I found out two new info (the second is that the random hit from Baldur bypasses counterattack) even though I do spend quite some time keeping myself updated with what happens in the game

Could anyone try Mok-Arr vs Balbar ? Can Mok-Arr wake his ally from Balbar’s sleep ? :smile:

Probably, since it’s damage

1 Like

To use him “best “ his true asset is the 60% damage when awoken . Use him with CMagni and CRigard or Quartz so you have a +44/54 attack a -34 defense then Balbars damage and then all this AND HIS 60 percent added results in Sartanas hit . He isnt great but that is his BEST USE and an adder in a nature team . Sets up Lianna nice and makes elkanen actually useful .

Blockquote

1 Like

I think that when used this way he requires too much setup for a measly one-time/special damage increase and that the “easier” to get Franz drastically outshine him.

1 Like

You are right . He SUCKS . But I use him until a better hero comes along

1 Like

He is a huge mess of a HOTM.
If only the company could remove the awaken, then he could have been better.

Then he will cause eternal slumber