Analysis of Legendary Heroes and Power Levels

In the spirit of Black Friday and the massive summon portal in the game right now, I thought I’d take a look at all the 5 star heroes and run some stats. As of this writing, there are 598 legendaries live or in beta. I’m using power value at 4-80 for these metrics, not including LB, CB, talents, or aether power.

Sources:

Based off the info from these two posts and the many beta beat threads along the way, I ran the numbers for all 598 heroes.

Strongest 20
Name Origin Release Year Release Month Max Power
Jolt Contest of Elements Beta 986
Desmond Contest of Elements Beta 982
Sparklight Black Friday - Astral Elves 2023 11 977
Starwalker Black Friday - Astral Elves 2023 11 975
Ironmaw Contest of Elements Beta 975
Farrah Contest of Elements 2023 11 971
Atlanteia Untold Tales 2023 11 971
Daemon Alliance Quest - Clash of Knights Beta 968
Winnie Alliance Quest - Clash of Knights Beta 968
Frond Covenant Summon 2023 10 968
Tenebrae Covenant Summon 2023 10 965
Persa Untold Tales 2023 10 964
Zaria Contest of Elements 2023 10 961
Fulvia Tower of Owls Beta 961
Timius Tower of Owls Beta 961
Ommodus Tower of Owls Beta 960
Relius Tower of Owls Beta 960
Xie Zi Jing War of the Three Kingdoms Beta 960
Livia Tower of Owls Beta 959
Chang’e War of the Three Kingdoms Beta 959
Weakest 20
Name Origin Release Year Release Month Max Power
Justice C2 Classic - C2 2023 2 755
Marjana C2 Classic - C2 2023 6 755
Richard C2 Classic - C2 2023 9 755
Richard C3 Classic - C3 2023 10 755
Justice Classic 2017 3 754
Magni Classic 2017 3 754
Justice C Classic - C1 2021 1 754
Magni C2 Classic - C2 2022 10 754
Elena Classic 2017 3 753
Horghall Classic 2017 3 753
Elena C Classic - C1 2020 1 753
Horghall C Classic - C1 2020 1 753
Joon C Classic - C1 2020 1 753
Horghall C2 Classic - C2 2022 10 753
Elena C2 Classic - C2 2023 8 753
Joon Classic 2017 3 752
Leonidas Classic 2017 3 752
Leonidas C Classic - C1 2021 1 752
Joon C2 Classic - C2 2022 12 752
Leonidas C2 Classic - C2 2022 12 752

Plotting Spread of Individual Hero Power over Time by Group:

Plotting Average Power and St Dev per Release Month:

Probably hard to see all the details, but you get the idea. Heroes stayed in 750-800 range 2017-2021 (so the first 150 heroes or so). Then came the release of the Slayers, which broke the 800 power cap. The 900 power cap was shattered with release of Roz (950) and Xandrella (900) in December 2022. We’re not yet a year later and rapidly approaching the 1000 power mark , with the upcoming Jolt at 986. (Y’all noticing the pattern about Contest of Elements heroes being at a high base power?)

There are still plenty of heroes coming out now that remain at the 750-800 power mark like Classic Costumes, but realistically I don’t see how these can complete anymore. Not when we are rapidly approaching a 1k power hero. And that’s BEFORE any limit breaking.

If you’re after a monster legendary hero, where do you get best bang for your buck?

Let's take a look:
Origin/Family Average Power
Astral Elves 976
Tower - Owls 960
Event - Opera 951
Event - Goblins 949
Untold Tales 944
Contest of Elements 935
Event - Masked Gods 919
Covenant 916
Alliance Quest 882
Event - Pets 879
3 Kingdom 876
Tower Magic 874
Tower - Styx 866
Season V 862
Event - Gargoyles 843
Tower - Ninja 836
Seasonal 833
Festival II 823
Season IV 816
Festival I 794
Legends 790
Season III 788
Season II 779
Classic 757

:star: :star: :star:Edit - adding some more granularity to the breakdown

Max Power Average and Standard Deviation Breakdown

Plot of the above data, Average Max Power Breakdown

:star: :star: :star: End Edit

So the data is telling us that the best heroes are always the ones in the next portal. Tower of Owls just hit beta 11/23/23. Opera event is coming up end of November 2023. Of the 20 strongest heroes in the game, only 8 are live on 11/23/23. Over half remain in the wings. The pace at which new heroes become outdated and underpowered is getting steadily worse. There is always a shortage of ascension materials so “wasting” them is a real concern. Not even considering limited aethers, alpha aethers, and emblems.

How should you know which hero to max? My opinion at this stage is that I’m no longer at all interested in competing with strongest. I’m after the fun art and the fun or unique game mechanic. I’ve pulled back from a lot of competitive game play for this specific reason. I invest mats and time to level a new hero, and when I’m done, there are at least 15 new heroes out that overpower what I have. So why bother?

More heroes are coming out more rapidly. And those heroes are getting stronger. Harder to get heroes (lower odds or more expensive portal) are stronger.

Though interesting to note that HOTM are changing quite dramatically lately too:

The ones down in the 750-800 range coming up soon are costumes for older HOTM. The January and February 2024 HOTM both break the 900 power barrier.

I’ll close with the following opinion: power creep is real and out of control. Do not chase heroes. Portal odds are terrible and you’ll want the next shiny hero less than four weeks later so even if you do get lucky, you won’t get to enjoy it for long.

Case Study - What healer should VQ level next?

Healers I already have ascended:
Augustus
Prof Lidenbrock (no costume)
Hathor
Alberich+C1
Arco
Raffaele
Four stars that rock with the big boys: Kiril with 2C, Rigard with 2C, Boldtusk with 2C all LB1 +20.

Options:
Lysanor
Thalassa
Hetepheres
Milena
Ariel (no costume)
Darkfeather
Hawthorn
Xnolphod
Toxicandra
Heimdall (no costume)
Cleopatra
Rhys
Furdinand
Vivica+C1+C2+C3

I’ve got plenty of Nature healers, so Toxi and Heimdall are out.
I’m super short of tabards, so Xnol, Hawthorn, and Darkfeather are out. If I had the tabards, Xnol would still be out.

I’ve got enough scopes and darts to do one of each.
Holy: For pure HP recovered in a single turn, Cleo beats out all the others. For other benefits, Furdinand would tip the scales. Rhys is fast mana. Given all these options, why would I consider Viv, even if I have the Toon version? I’m still terrified that Furdinand will get hit with the nerf hammer, which is the only reason I haven’t yet ascended him.
Ice: Milena is out given comparatively low heal % and age. Ariel is out as I lack CB and age. Hetepheres is interesting, but comparatively outclassed on stats and the other part of special is rather niche. So between Thalassa and Lysanor.

And with the mindset being I don’t care if its the “best” but rather if its the most fun for me, I’ll probably pick Furdinand (love dogs) and Lysanor (love the art of all the CoK heroes).

Statistics Appendix for the Curious
Element Count
Dark 124
Fire 123
Ice 124
Nature 115
Holy 110
Year Count
2017 34
2018 28
2019 28
2020 56
2021 92
2022 136
2023 186
2024 38
Class Count
Fighter 73
Wizard 67
Cleric 66
Paladin 63
Barbarian 62
Sorcerer 59
Druid 56
Rogue 54
Monk 52
Ranger 46
Mana Speed Count
Very Fast 33
Fast 178
Changing Tides 14
Average 222
Slayer 5
Charge 18
Magic 13
Styx 7
Slow 103
Very Slow 5
Aether Power Count
Attack Up 148
Defense Up 81
Special Boost 61
Regen 35
Special Armor 33
Ailment Immunity 31
Counterattack 29
Damage Reduction 26
Rage 25
Dodge 24
Fiend Resist 20
Heal Increase 18
Bulwark 14
Mana Boost 12
Revive 9
Vampire 9
Taunt 8
Boosted Regen 7
Ailment Reflect 5
Gamble 2
Knight’s Endurance 1
48 Likes

Great post. Always feels rewarding to see people make great use of my data vault :smiling_face: and that’s the reason I make it, for the people to make their best use of it.

Back on topic, for the origin/average power table, I think you could split the Alliance Quest line to differentiate CoK and Musketeers. Also wondering if it should differentiate Monster Hunters families and the Construct family on the Covenant line. But this one is a bit tricky since the available heroes in the portal are different each time it comes around.

12 Likes

This is now my favorite post on the forum. Thank you to the data collectors and organizers. Thank you for the analysis. And thank you all for sharing!

Yes, CoK differentiated from Musketeers. (And if we’re really getting into the numbers, wave 1, 2, 3…)

Good to see you making magic in the E&P world again, VQ.

8 Likes

Heroes are released so quickly that the heroes obtained by players are replaced by the latest heroes in a short period of time. This is the reason why more people are unwilling to spend money. The heroes I spend money to chase will soon be useless, so why should I chase them?

4 Likes

If you go that far, it’s going to be complicated because that information is not available from the game data. For CoK, it’s easy because gen1 and gen2 heroes are in different families so easy to filter but for S2 gen2 heroes (Oceanus and the other lady), CF1 gen2 heroes (the new heroes released since the 5 original CE got merged together), old Ninja heroes and newer ones released after the Ninja Tower rework, etc, you have to go through all the heroes by hand to tag them either gen1 or 2. Or script something depending on their origin and release dates.

5 Likes

I’m not able to script, but give me the data and I’ll tag them by hand. I’m off for the next few days.

2 Likes

It’s all in my data vault, download the latest hero CSV file, fire it up in your favorite spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, LibreOffice Calc, …), add a column and get to work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: then share your file with @VeryQuietly if he is interested in this.

7 Likes

thank you for your time doing it , apricate it, unfortunately it just confirms our concerns how game goes to fast and losing controls:()

5 Likes

Great post. You may be very quietly, but when you speak, you speak greatly :slight_smile:

I’ve just noticed it recently, when my LB +20 Milena had weaker stats & power than the new CoK heroes in beta.

And just a year ago Milena was the best hero in the game (for me at least).

7 Likes

This is a very nice statistics !

Thx for creating it @VeryQuietly !

3 Likes

@VeryQuietly thank you very much for this great analysis! :clap::+1:
One question: you used the stats/power level of the heroes as they are now? Not the power level of their initial release, which in some cases might have been modified by Balance Updates, correct?

2 Likes

Great work.

I just noticed this anecdotally when I pulled Neema (hotm) and went to find her in my roster, which is organised by power. Her base stats place her higher up the list than every other 5* Ive got waiting in reserve (of which there are 28).

Lowest is Richard / Lianna / Obakan on 396 base power. Neema comes in at a whopping 462

3 Likes

In 14 years I’ll have all of those heroes in the top 20

4 Likes

At which time they will be called The Bottom 20

6 Likes

:rofl:

Don’t care, I’m going to save for when they’re in FS!

4 Likes

Wonder what the art will be like in 20 years?

Genderless, featureless grey blobs so as not to offend anyone and to keep costs down. Base stats of 8k power. 14 passives.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ll admit I started this just as a way to “show” myself that chasing the astral elves in the Black Friday portal is pointless, not really intending to post. Thought it looked cool (and so did my SO @Archaeo80) so shared it in hopes it would help someone else.

I’ve got plenty of heroes waiting to be leveled. Got a non-costumed Jabberwock from this portal… with an unleveled power at 408 and since I don’t have a costume, I don’t expect to spend the few tabards I have on him. Which is a shame because there was a time I would have been over the moon for Jabberwock. I know it’s all roster dependent, but I only have enough tabards for one purple hero right now and Hurricane, Darkfeather, or Deadboot will get maxed before Jabby.

I’ve been thinking on how I can show the data in a more granular manner without overwhelming the graphs. I’ll post some stuff breaking it down a bit more.

@CrazyChemist3891 I used the values from @Elioty33 ’s most recent date csv file, which as best as I can tell are current live power values. I manually added release info for the ones missing it and added the most recent beta additions. So in short, values should be accounting for any nerf/buff since release. Having the Black Friday portal with everyone at base stats to double-check has been helpful.

10 Likes

@VeryQuietly Welcome back - it’s been a while :smile: :

And a great piece of analysis too.

For those who don’t remember @VeryQuietly was an early calendar pioneer :spiral_calendar:

6 Likes

Wish you didn’t make us guess at the horizontal axis, but it was pretty clear. I do hate that you used Power as your metric. Severly flawwed at indicating the strength of a hero. It’s easy and available, so I can see why you chose it. I just wish that someone would come up with a better metric that was as easy to use.

2 Likes

Thought about that too… I could use attack, defense or health since those are all in the csv, but I don’t know that those would be better indicators. None of this takes into account if a special skill design is OP or weak. If a special skill doesn’t do damage, is a hero weaker? Or glass cannon? That’s why I went with power as it should reflect how the three stats are combined. Can’t use community generated hero grades as those are not being maintained anymore. I opted for 4-80 values since every hero has that and it represents a good baseline. I’m planning to add a personal case study on healer heroes. I recently got Vivica and all three costumes, but I’m on the fence about leveling given the investment.

2 Likes