We have now mathematically entered 6* hero territory

I just so happened to pull C2.Dom from the latest costume portal, while already having her maxed with the first costume, and today I maxed the second one, activating the double costume bonus.

With LB and +20 talents, at level 85, her official power value is 1017 - yup, we officially broke 4 figures on that.

As you might know, I am something of an enthusiast for obscure E&P math.

Out of sheer curiosity, I compared her to my vanilla +20 Joon at level 80, who has 852 power.
That’s an absolute difference of 165, or a relative difference of 19.3%

Taking a step forward in the same direction, I compared my +20 Joon to my +20 Sonya (costumeless) - a 5* and a 4* at equivalent levels of modification (both at same talents, both from same season). Sonya has 743, resulting in an absolute difference of 109 and a relative difference of 14.6%

Soooo…the difference between a state-of-the-art modern hero and an initial release 5* is now almost a whole half above the initial difference between a 5* and a 4*.

Assuming this trend continues, we will likely soon see release of event 4* heroes that perform better than some actual 5* heroes in raw stats.

I do not believe SGG are willing to remedy this in any way, but I am curious for all of your thoughts - what would be the best way to tackle this kind of power creep? Do we actually grant the newer released heroes the rank of master 6*? Can we boost the base stats of older heroes by 5-10% depending on release date?

8 Likes

Careful of what you wish for…

players asked for old character improvement, and we got costumes;
players asked for better in-game loots, and we got pov;
players asked for new contents, and we got waves of overpower heroes;

I think you got my point. Whatever new things the developers have in mind, there’s a probably a guy standing behind their office desk asking the same question, “is this change going to bring us money?”.

11 Likes

Power creep is their business model. If you don’t understand that, you are either willfully ignoring the reality of the situation, or you haven’t considered their point of view. They need to keep people spending. To do that, they need to release new stuff that people would want to buy. Pretty simple. I do think they’re going to quickly… that it’s too obvious that they’re making older heros obsolete. But I understand their situation. You don’t “remedy” that. You either live with it, or you quit playing.

5 Likes

I am well aware of the concept of power creep, and have played numerous games where it applies in some way. That said, SGG is creeping both raw stats (at an alarming rate) and percentages/effects on specials. I’m fairly sure the new heroes would’ve gone away like hot cakes even if they had the stats of a vanilla 5* just by sheer virtue of how overloaded their specials are.

1 Like

My 4* Junaid, level 75, +19, 835 power
919 - 713 - 1482
Special: Fast, deals 400% to 1, heals 30% of damage done to all allies
Passive: 50% chance of 70% to all plus -24% mana regen for 3 turns.
Family: 50% chance to apply -24% defense down plus a water DoT on an enemy after being hit by a special.

My 5* Marjana, level 80, +18, 845 power
794 - 748 - 1518
Special: Fast, deals 458% to 1, plus 360 burn over 6 turns to same target.
Passive: None
Family: None by herself.

Question, why is Marjana’s power level higher? When Junaid is better in every way? Power level counts when war matchups and wo3k are being matched up. I’ve always thought for a long time that power levels are not an accurate representation of actual hero power. I’m curious how that’s actually determined.

Modern 4 stars are better than classic 5 stars, yet that’s not reflected in power level.

3 Likes

I don’t think the power reflects anything specific other than the hero is “new”. We all complain about Klaern and Celidana, yet they have two of the highest rankings. But yes, it’s obvious that Junaid is a better option than some 5* snipers.

The day they actually introduce 6* heroes is the day I quit. I’ve been thru that before on other apps, and it just doesn’t work. Zynga is losing control if the game as is.

2 Likes

Power value has got to be the most useless indicator in the game

8 Likes

Hasn’t this already happened for some time? Latest example is 4* Waddles who is probably better than most of my 5*… LOL

2 Likes

I agree, and yet, that’s the metric used for war matchups. So it SHOULD be a better indicator.

1 Like

Hey! Pov is great for ftp!!!
That was a real nice improvement. :+1:

1 Like

This reminds me of the gear weight system in an unrelated RPG by the name of Bravely Default 2.

You consistently get bigger sticks, heavier armor, and loaded accessories, but all of them are heavier than the previous ones, and your total weight limit grows slower than the sum of item weights. So you can’t actually equip every new shiny you get, without having to trade off some shine on the other gear.

It makes equipment much more mindful and gives meaning to older gear, which is IMO great.

Something like that in E&P would definitely be pretty cool

3 Likes

What you do is a manipulation. The data you used to calculation is incorrect, but in a way to support your statement.
You should compare two LB heores on +20 talents. Right not you compare LB new hero with old hero, who is not Limit Broken. IF joon is LB, he has over 900 power, then the difference would drop to around 13%.

2 Likes

We can even get 8* …if you dont get a good board your heroes mean nothing
You can literally play with titans…if the boards say you lose you’ll lose
This game should be called Tiles and Troops

1 Like

You are entirely correct, though I will note that 13% is edging very close to 14.6% anyway, so we might as well be already there. I just don’t have any LB costumeless s1 5* to compare.

Hm… :thinking:
Reminds me of…

Keep in mind though that season 1 heroes even with double costume still have weaker specials without the fancy passives of new crew.

1 Like

Yup, I remember that topic, and yet releasing 6* heroes officially will likely alienate the vast majority of the playerbase (especially the long-spending whales), since suddenly all of their previous investments are moot.

That’s also entirely fair, but I have to admit - advanced class skills are :cow2: :poop: , especially the improved hex and improved revive.

1 Like

Yup. I agree. Technically, we have the power of a 6* with a label of a 5*. Why don’t SG come out with 6*? There’s already a power creep…might as well add to it. SG is already adding new features to the game.

Eventually, everything will go in a circle. New is old and vice versa. For example, S1 was “obsolete” with the new update possibly not. If we do have 6*, I can see some heroes being “obsolete” again.

As an aside, I do wonder if they did release heroes as 6*, etc. that it would alleviate certain forms of complaints. Or even recategorize all the heroes accordingly. I do know a game which did something similar…

But as a way of comparison… Soul Exchange! :laughing:
Certainly shows us which 5s aren’t quite as 5 as others…

1 Like

In a few years, if the game still exists, full max heroes will seem like 7*.
The business model revolves around players spending money to chase the next big thing.

2 Likes