šŸ“˜ Puss in Boots: Fables of Grimforest ā€“ Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback

Puss is ultra dangerous when you have other summoners around especially MN.

1 Like

He will be a serviceable tank if you have a Seshat and MN behind him. He isnā€™t knocking off BK or Gravy anytime soon, but he seems like a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Did a rainbow fun raid with Puss.
Was the 2nd attempt.

3 Likes

Nice! Mine is not even 3/70 yet, but took him on some farming runs yesterday. My team was the same as yours, but I took Delilah instead of Ariel. He is a lot of fun.

ETA: and I did all of the rare quest today with that same teamā€¦took a long time, but it was fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine is 3.25 now.
I donā€™t have rings anyway.
Zimi git 6 a few weeks ago.

1 Like

The lizard changes all enemies to the element they are strong against. Are you assuming the defense is mono in your example, or did you overlook that part of his ability.

If assuming a mono defense, during a tournament, with an excluded element, Chameleon works.

But this seems like a very niche case since the majority of the time (raids, war) defenders will have multiple elements at tank and flank and I donā€™t see how Chameleon sets you up for an easy win in that (the majority) scenario.

I like PiB in such a company.

5 Likes

Not sure what I like more here, your awesome heroes or those awesome troops. Iā€™m jelly!

1 Like

At first glance:
Puss seemed like another needless hero to me. Other than his ability to spawn minions for allies his other peripherals arenā€™t in the realm of over powered skills. He summons 3 minions for himself who at 10% inherit one of the lowest % for any minions , add -32% accuracy and they seem almost pointlessā€¦ His healing isnā€™t great either at 548 HP over 4 turns. Attack buff isnā€™t too bad at +30% I suppose, but def not great.

In any event, I decided to take him to lvl70 and test his skills out in the real world, this is what I found:

Defense:
I didnā€™t come across any on defense myself, but I did see a few videos of others who did. And Puss seemed like a non-factor as a tank and barely a decent supporting hero as a flank. As usual, there just wasnā€™t enough chemistry to build on his talentsā€¦ I might consider using him on D paired with a mana boost and a taunt hero for best possible resultsā€¦ But more on that laterā€¦

Offense:
Minion summoning heroes are not exactly in abundance, or even players who have multiples of them so I think this will be a limiting factor to many. Having said that, my first team consisted of Seshat/Puss/Delilah. It was an ok team and watching a single minion spawn on Del/Se was cool but it didnā€™t really have the impact one might expect. Specially if theyā€™re already maxed on minions or you canā€™t get Puss to fire again when you actually need him to. Timing is everything. I ran several other variations of Puss + other minion heroes such as Seshat, Delilah and Red Hood but nothing that would stand out as a true winner or a team that would build a case for me to take Puss to lvl80. He still didnā€™tā€™ deserve mats in my opinion and I was just about ready to discard him as a viable new must-have event hero.

Enter Queen of Hearts.
The synergy between Puss and QoH wasnā€™t only too cool but also a true OP combo. Having a single minion on QoH protects the entire team and buys you time to cause damage and or continue to setup Puss to keep feeding QoH minions. Itā€™s a cycle you can repeat for as long as you can keep matching red tiles. QoHā€™s high defense stats + emblems (as high as possible) makes her a tank on defense ideal to take non-stop damage while the rest of your offense goes to work picking the defense apart. All the while benefiting from the +30% attack boost from Puss. I found the Puss/QoH combo to be immensly more valuable than simply having Puss + a bunch of minion heroes, as I mentioned before, a single minion to these heroes isnā€™t exactly a game changer from my experience.

[Puss + QoH synergy in action]

Depending on the troops youā€™re running, you can decide to have Puss/QoH charge at the same time or Puss first then QoH a turn later. Both have their pros/cons.
Another really cool thing I notice is that Puss can give QoH a minion when she canā€™t summon one herself, if she gets hit by a mana suppression special by someone like Hel, Onatel or Alasie.

So does Puss deserve the 4 mats treatment ? Taking your entire squadron of fire heroes and availability on mats Iā€™d suggest the following:*

I would only consider maxing him if you have an emblemed QoH and no better reds to work on. Their connection is simply too good to ignore imo.

Iā€™d put Puss on the backburner If you donā€™t have a healthy inventory of minion heroes or QoH. The effect of spawning new minions and attack boost is appealing and has a cool factor to some degree, but functionally unimpressive from what I could tell and def not a game changer at all.
I would NOT max Puss if you need a 5s healer. Youā€™ll be better off with a costumed 4 healer for that matter.

Pros:
+30% Attack Boost, excellent synergy with taunt heroes, yields family (Grimforest Family) attack & defense bonuses.

Cons:
Own minions are too weak and miss too much, healing is too weak over too many turns, gives a single minion to other minion heroes which it isnā€™t all that significant in most cases, not proven to be useful in both defense/offense - primarily an offensive hero, average mana isnā€™t necessarily a bad thing but fast mana wouldā€™ve actually made him highly desirable and likely build better chemistry with other basic minion heroes (not necessarily taunt heroes).

Final thoughts:
Puss is not a hero Iā€™d go out of my way to try to acquire, specially if you donā€™t have the right supporting heroes. Heā€™s not a good healer and will likely need to be paired with other healers when it really matters, but then again thatā€™s not his primary function. Summoning minions is almost imperceptible in most cases as a minion can be killed on a single hit and new minions donā€™t always spawn when you need them most. His attack boost isnā€™t anything to write home about but I did find it to make a difference, specially on big cascading combos. Puss, I found, shines and excels when paired with a taunt hero such as QoH, this is where a single minion can actually make a difference and save your entire team from a crippling attack.

Disclaimer:
This wasnā€™t intended to be an in-depth review of Puss in Boots, it is merely a summary on how and when I found him to be the most valuable and useful and when he really didnā€™t shine at allā€¦ This is only my opinion from my testing. Iā€™m sure others may have a different assessment based on their play style, good for themā€¦

37 Likes

I said myself a week ago is just an average legendary. Kinda mehā€¦ Yep, works nice with QoH, but yet again there are more offensive heroes and much faster, building lethal line-up (Zim/Ares/GM). And JF the king of allā€¦

Thanks @Wormwood for the write up!

Detailed & comprehensive based on experience rather than hypothetical uses & feelings! Should be very helpful to many people who arenā€™t toooooo sure on their shiny new hero!

5 Likes

Pulled Puss. Started working him up as heā€™s the only other 5* red I haveā€¦Azlar being maxed is my first.

While not the kind of healer I was looking for its better than none. Iā€™ll spend the mats and be happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Donā€™t have QoH, but LoL is at 3/70 and will likely get tonics; another worthwhile pairing with Seshat. I will bring PnB to 3/70 and see. I am obnoxious enough to try for a healer/minion defense for war with MN, but no DelilahšŸ˜

I would not underestimate Puss under any circumstances. Once Telluria is released (is she stays as she currently is) he will be a prime flank in a very nasty setup, that would feature Seshat on wings also (her minions replicate, so even if she doest not fire away she will reach 3 just from Puss greatly increasing her survivability).

This paired with 2 hard hitters will be a nasty take down as you will also have a heal over time almost always rolling from either Tel or Puss.

In short lets wait and see how things will evolve but as I can predict some more nasty summoner heroes coming up which pushes Pusses value up even more.

The only downside I can see is that it requires a specific team built around vs having a more versatile hero so if you dont have to many rings I would save them for JF coming up as he is more versatile all over.

Just got my 6th Ring from the Santa Challenge. Have Grazul at 3-70 and PiB well on his way there.

Planning to leave them there though until I see what JF looks like when he goes live. Sadly, I have no Minion summoners so canā€™t make full use of PiB anyway.

Maybe a little advice for newer players who had the luck to summon the cat.

I was farming recruits #2, the last level, with my following team who I have to level up, time by time. I often practice some techniques!

Melendor is one of the classic ones I didnā€™t have before and who I am able to level up, now. Aegir was on the bench for too long (he popped up when he was the hero of the month), the other three are shiny new ones as you can see.

They are all not leveled up very high except the little Grimble.

But it was Puss who acted the best in this (I didnā€™t remember how tough this level could have been) stage. His minions were a great shield during the attacks and even in this low level theyā€™re able to keep him alive and strong.
Melendor (first wave) and Pixie (third wave) said good bye very soon and even Aegir was small at the end. But puss outshined them all, even Grimble.

Long story, short: Iā€™m not a big fan of minions (or like the German version ā€œLakaienā€, sic) but Puss is good to have, even for new players on a low level.

2 Likes

Puss in Boots are my first 5* red (after 11 months and a lot of patience the game finally starts to get me 5*s, heā€™s the third after Sartana and Thorne from tc20).

I pulled him with Isarnia and Hansel

I have 10 rings, max him or not?
I donā€™t have a summoner. So? I pretend I donā€™t have him? Wait for March and pray for Telluria? Or wait for April and pray for a QoH?

Ascend him, since you will only need 2 more rings for an upcoming hero.

3 Likes

Ascend Hansel, heā€™s is the best raid player in the game

3 Likes

Thatā€™s my planā€¦ Gretel is great, Hansel seems better, a green cleric, mana controller, but for now Iā€™m upgrading Puss for 3/70, thinking in fully ascend him.

1 Like