NINJA TOWER: Musings from a Veteran Player

Very nice summary of your experience OP. I agree with you, the tower is a very good addition, finally something challenging where you have to think a little.

There are some pretty vocal parts of the community that cannot be satisfied unless they get 3 of each hero for free (with the required roster space included) with maxed emblems, even then I’m pretty sure someone would complain that some heroes have got the wrong emblem path and that is just infuriating and unacceptable. Also not to mention that there are some heroes that are worthless and they didn’t ask for them so what do they now do with them.

On the topic of the tower itself, my roster is somewhat okay, got a pretty decent number of heroes, nothing exceeding the average 2 years old players account, haven’t got any powerhouse heroes like GM, Telluria, the big minion makers, mass buffers or any resurrection heroes, neither the good costumes. Still managed to complete the tower, maybe 2 refills were necessary and a few tornadoes and bombs/dragons at the latest stages. Many of my good heroes got cursed about the middle and also my Wu/Ranvir so had to complete the latest stages with vanilla heroes, mostly emblemmed 4*s.

It was challenging, fun and of course frustrating when the damned oni gems drop every round on the bottom of the board with no matching color tiles at all, not even in the proximity of them. But it required strategy, I had to count on my heroes dropping out of the event and sometimes making decisions to sacrifice a hero to complete the stage. Most of the time I was trying to calculate 2-3 matches ahead and keep my diamonds/dragon stones and tried to force the Oni gems near them, or leave half of the board untouched just to buy time for the curse to tick down to 1 round remaining and clear it then. And the ninja heroes with their 3 times fillable Mana bar, they are just disgusting to anticipate when they will fire, of course a gigantic cascade will drop down when I want to clear an oni gems with a simple 3-match and fill every boss to 3 charges. All in all, I liked it, way better than the existing event, this was more than the usual mindless tile matching and carpet bombing when all fails.

I agree with the opinions that the event is not so beginner friendly, but come on, what is in this game? We can’t expect to have everything served on a silver platter.

5 Likes

I actually do EACH AND EVERY quest that comes up unless it’s Atlantis Rises… The Xp/We ratio on any quest is far superior to that of any map stage (except during Rises, of course)

1 Like

The fact that you don’t have a lot of 5* available made it so you had to plan on advance on your heroes usage, a lot of don’t want to have to do that, they just want to plow through and complain when the content doesn’t alow them to. Hope they have learned better next time the tower comes around.

All ten levels in a row can be tiresome, I can see that… I didn’t have that issue as I spread it out through the day.

THIS!

As I’ve been saying, people just have to think about their plays.

That’s so, so, SO True that it hurts… Roflmao

That’s exactly the game in there!

/Fistbump

1 Like

Good post.

Initially I didn’t like the tower in truth. But after reflection this was more my fault than the towers. I treated it like Tavern of Legends and tried to play deep with weaker teams to save my better heroes. This resulted in longer more drawn out games and I was giving the tower the opportunity to throw curses at me. And eventually they will fall in places where you can’t get to and I was refusing to use items.

This was the case 0 to 30 and by 30 I was feeling jaded.

30 to 40 I then moved up and started to use better heroes but still sprinkling in 4* and 3*. I had less curses but they were mounting up. However I was starting to get it more.

40 to 50 I just went all in, put the good stuff out in full and started to use items. I lost less 40 to 50 than 30 to 40.

The last 10 levels I found to be enjoyable to be fair. I felt like I had worked it out and finished it but with a poorer score than I should have had. I place decent in events and tbh was a bit drained from Grimforest still (both mentally and inventory…)

I’d prepare differently for the next one and go into it with a better strategy. I reckon I could top 1000 if I did this.

That said…I still would like a small change to the curse mechanic. A small something for breaking them would make it feel more satisfying when you break it. Would this make it easier for the top guns? Yes I guess so but it also gives lower players a bit more to go at and just adds a little feeling of reward for getting rid of it.

1 Like

It was fun and challenging in the beginning. It got boring fast. The problem as I felt it simply was once you figured out your strategy, and that was within the first 10 levels or so … it was rinse and repeat the same thing for the next n levels. The periodic jump in difficulty levels did not really require you to think differently or bring any change to your base strategy be it chasing curses or focusing on speed kills.

Nor did it seem to significantly reward skill over $$ spent. I play other games that try to minimise this by standardising hero stats for everyone within a quest, say all the heroes you have are playable as maxed (or max emblemed) just for this event, and everyone starts with the same number of items. Yes there’s still going be an element of random boards, but there is more elements of skill when all start equal and then use their skills in gameplay, resource management and game experience to get ahead. Everyone starts at the same starting line. And those are times when player activity crash servers :joy:

Ninja Tower showed no real thinking in trying to increase the skill component in its competitive element. By the time I completed it, I felt no sense of achievement … more a sense of check this off my to do list. And that’s why I couldn’t care less about it’s schedule.

2 Likes

Well, it turns the Tower into a different game. The Tower and the portal are for example open at the same time. This will never happen since all portals are only open 3 or 4 days. I am sorry you suffer from OCD and trust me, i know all about addiction (not OCD), but had never had any addiction issues related to the game. I love pulling heroes, but since there’s something else every week, i find it pretty easy to occasionally forego tsummoning at an event and have no problem sticking to my budget.

3 Likes

I agree with everyone who, in addition to routine, called pathetic awards one of the main problems of the tower. It seems to me that in this game event, after all, the distribution of production depending on the rating is not fair. In my opinion, it would be more fair to give out a reward depending on which floor of the tower a person managed to climb. And those players who reached the top faster and more effectively than others could get some additional top rewards.

@Jabarj thank you for your post! It was very interesting! )))

2 Likes

You mean something like a buff, or an effect like we have with Springvale’s eggs? Might be a good idea.

I’ve seem comments about people that went to say floor 43 and got the same rewards as someone who finished.

A reward based on highest floor reached would be a cool addition…
I’ve seem suggestions for completion rewards every 10 levels, also sounds like a nice suggestion…

You’re welcome my friend, happy to be of help!

2 Likes

It shouldn’t. The Christmas event is looooooong. You have plenty of time to do it without the tower taking away from battles in the seasonal event.

1 Like

I’ve played all versions on beta and I realise that’s no worthy of my itens, even tho I didn’t complete any of the versions on beta, I was really confidant that in live game I’ll ruined them simple has it where on beta. Well my toughths was wrong in so many levels. The curses was reduce to 2 who invalidate imidiatly almost my roster. The boards was soo poor in collors of my heroes that at level 25 I was so pissed of the game and bad boards that I almost stop playing this game. I was awarded with mica for my persistence only 11 puls. And at stage 35. I stopped playing Ninja tower because of my time, too much time consuming and bad boards all over me, and curses came out Avery single turn. Did not played the last day I opted not play anymore. To much effort for the rewards ahead, and yes I did not waste 1 single tornado, or mana pots. I was exausted of this challege mostly of the bad boards anulling my heros… One at a time. Bad boards, curses, enough…

1 Like

Well put! The game desperately needed something to challenge veteran players. For newbies it gives you something to shoot for. Success isn’t handed to you for just showing up. More like this please!

2 Likes

I didn’t get very far I also enjoyed the challenge and will do better next time. It’s the journey not the destination

1 Like

We are so tired on so many aspects that who Completed the tower was only to show that he is worthy… Not for the rewards but for persistency in continuing playing this game. The tower, Did not change our thoughs on get listened by devs. But no, they o ly want our frustration to keep the wheel running

1 Like

Christmas event lasts from December first to January 7 you have plenty of time to play all three difficulties…

Tower is scheduled for third week of December lasting 5 days… Should be a non issue…

My thoughts exactly

I’m 100% sure you’ll do better next time, maybe even finish it…

Not true, I actually enjoyed the tower and the rewards.

The curses made me not want to participate… I did 5 levels and quit

2 Likes

I can complete while only having 16 maxed 5*, highest emblem on them is 13. But I do have 16 maxed with 20 emblems 4* and a lot more maxed but unemblemed 4*.

2 Likes

So, a whale (level 90, whose defense team consists of Finley+20, GM+20, Telly+20, Drake Fong+20, C. Sartana+20, with level 29 mana troops on each) tells us that he had a good time, so the rest of us who don’t have insanely stacked rosters are wrong about how much we hated this event?

“Simply played mindfully”? Be serious. You have a stacked roster that meant you could clear each level before that many curse tiles could show up, let alone lock in.

In other words, you’re sitting on a Ducati telling the other 99.9% of the player base (because top 1k/1M daily players is 0.1%) that are stuck on various qualities of bicycle that the Tour de France isn’t so hard.

The most polite thing I can say in response to that is “kindly shut your trap”

If you don’t like a whale telling you they were able to beat it, maybe you should read all the various comments about how people with only 4* heroes beat the event.

There are always players complaining about how every event is too hard. We have people complaining that some events are too hard using 5* with emblems, while there are tutorials out there showing how to beat the same events with 4* unemblemed. This event is no different, there will always be people who will complain that an event is too hard.

Sure, the reward wasn’t really worth the effort. But I did the event just so I could get an extra free pull. Hoping that SG actually reward effort next time, because this event takes more effort than other events where people just click autoplay.

4 Likes

This event is made for you. It’s the other 99% of the community that have issues. I enjoyed it as well, but spent a ton of materials to finish in he top 25K; making the rewards not as great given the cost.

1 Like

Gameplay was fun yet annoyingly difficult at the same time. There wasn’t a completion reward for this event like in any other monthly event. #1 player of the world received what, 300 coins? That’s bad even for p2w :joy:

Ninja heroes are decent but in my opinion game devs keep focusing on new ways to sell 5* heroes only. It’s obvious this event was aimed towards big spenders.

Devs: "Look, here’s 10 more ninjas and 10 more OP ninja troops for your already bloated roster of 5* heroes. You know you want them… :wink:

QOL? What the hell is that?"

1 Like