Mystic Vision – Discussion of Change to 8 Hours, Adjustment of Loot, and Addition of Emblems [Staff Response in Post #66]

I am seriously at a loss as to how this is damaging. We are talking about 15-30 seconds. You click on it, put the phone down and it’s done before you even think about it. It’s literally nothing. If people’s lives are so overwhelmed that 15-30 seconds causes them to call into question business practices and complain about the entire ecosystem, we have much higher issues to address.

More than anything, the added revenue will help keep S&G financially solvent and able to provide this product for those who wish it to be free. While I don’t want this to turn into an argument of F2P vs. P2P, P2P makes everything possible for everyone else. Ads are a means to help mobile game developers offset the cost of large amounts of their player base not paying into their product. It’s still mutually beneficial in a very major way.

If we were genuinely going to have a conversation about the negative aspect of it, what it really does is force players to log in more to gain the benefit which increases rates of addiction. If you want to see just how bad that can be, check out any mobile sports game by EA. EVERYTHING is put behind a paywall; everything. On top of that, there are at least 15-20 ads to click on daily for products that constantly have game breaking bugs. E&P is absolutely nothing like that. But here we are complaining like it is because they added one more ad into their ecosystem. I stand by saying it’s ridiculous; especially when there are real offenders out there that S&G are absolutely nothing like.

6 Likes

It seems like you’re getting more worked up from the people posting here, then the people themselves. No one is claiming that this change is “damaging” and no one is “overwhelmed”, you’re just adding drama to the conversation. No one is leaving the game because of this change. I think we just don’t understand the reasoning behind doubling up on the adds but reducing the loot from a single ad, how are you not getting this?

Let me sum up your arguments - 1. it’s a business and businesses are about profits, so it’s okay. 2. Other games are much worse, so it’s okay. 3. It’s just 30 more seconds, what’s the big deal? Does that seem right?

Look, if the change they made to show us more ads is no big deal, then why take the time to change the algorithm in the coding so we receive less? This isn’t a question for you, I’ve heard your answers. It’s a question to the developers. Why take the time to tweak the formula to give us less, when it’s no sweat off their back?

3 Likes

They could have lowered the time to 8 hours and kept the loot the same. And we would be having the same discussion. Some people saying it helps because it increases SGG revenue, and others complaining that it’s unfair because it rewards the people who play three times a day.
Meanwhile, in the reality that actually happened, SGG lowered the rewards for the daily players.

1 Like

I find it hilarious that some forum members use the the words ‘upset’, ‘annoyed’, or the classic ‘if you don’t like, don’t play’ so often. If you read properly you’d have noticed Pohiroshima isn’t upset about Mystic vision changes.

Pohiroshima makes some very good points.

4 Likes

I really do not understand the issue here. Why we have such a long thread for something that means nothing. This is just free and no need to pay for anyone. Will it increase revenue for SGG sure, if you pay for items, if you click on ads. If you do not care about any of these then SGG revenue will not increase. The big question do you want those free items or not? If yes, then get them as they come.

Exactly, like in the real world, do you want this paycheck or not? So what if I am making you work twice as much and paying you the same. Just keep working if you want the paycheck. Don’t complain. Work or leave. Never ever complain about stuff, always give in or walk away.
Thats the mentality right?

I personally don’t mind the clicking the button and ignoring my phone for 30 seconds, but yes, I don’t like it on principle that SG making us twice the “work” for them for only a slight increase in loot. I think it is perfectly valid for others to complain about it. Haven’t seen anyone said this was a deal breaker for them and they will walk away, but they also don’t like it on principle.

4 Likes

You guys can save the “have to do work” to get MV reward- you sound ridiculous. If you don’t want to watch the thing don’t. I’m happy they are giving out emblems personally.

Exactly, YOU are happy, but others aren’t always happy so they’re simply voicing their opinions. That’s the key here, see?

It’s a forum, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Is it optional? Check
Is the 8hr increment more convenient for me? Check
Is the loot better? Check (emblem chance added without reducing overall loot)
Will I get more loot overall with this change? Check
Will SGG get more money from ads which will increase the longevity of the game that I have funds tied up in (C2P) that would otherwise be entirely entirely wasted if the game failed to exist? Check

They could reset MV ever hour and I’d still check it when I logged in…when it was convenient for me. I’m very happy with this change.

1 Like

None of this matters unless -I- get all of the Mysterious Tonics -I- want.

:slight_smile:

Or y’know… I’m not unhappy about ignoring the stupid ads that pop up. But MAN are they stupid.
Like the “match 3 game” ads that feature a mini game that is not actually in the game itself? Or the aggravating women trying to get me to play “best fiends”?

But the rewards? I don’t mind tapping MV, and ignoring my phone for 30 seconds MORE frequently for MORE frequent chances at rewards. I really don’t understand why people complain.

If someone made me watch a 1-hour infomercial for a guaranteed Epic Hero Token… I don’t know that I’d say no, outright.

Last MV gave me Magic Orb. =)

You right, you don’t understand. What ppl don’t like is that they reducing the loot.

So if they changed it to once and hour and reduced your chances of getting a tonic to 1/8 what it is now per ad, you going to be happy right?

These past 2 visions I’ve had have both been 4 items vs the normal 2. Emblems and titan flasks AND the standard bear flag and 3 gems. I’m digging the change!

But if you scroll up, the mods (via the devs) have already clarified that it’s actually a net increase if you collect multiple times per day, on top of them adding emblems to the potential drops. The only players affected by this in a negative way at this point are those who don’t play as frequently as others (i.e. those who maybe only checked in once every 16 - 24 hours anyway) and so this again seems a natural way to incentivize those players to check in more frequently. This is not bad or malicious. It’s a normal business practice that every business, not just mobile phone games, take part in.

At the end of the day, they want you to play their game more frequently and if you do you get rewarded! If you don’t, and thus are now getting slightly less loot (albeit with emblems now) then perhaps you should play more frequently. SG and Zynga certainly hope you will and this change by all indications should be a net positive for those who do.

2 Likes

It is an increase, but that’s okay, I forgive you for not reading.

1 Like

That picture is amazing

1 Like

Every observation is good way to grow. Even if someone don’t agree with you, is a good point to consider.
And I agree with you. Pohiroshima said good points to consider.

2 Likes

You’re correct that the net amount of items increased (because of the emblems) if you watch more frequently, but its a small chunk of people that will benefit, I think. The attendance on this forum is tiny if you consider the million+ people that play the game. So yes, the more avid players will benefit, but they are fewer than the mass amount of players this game has. If they wanted to incentivize those less frequent players to come on more, keep the loot the same. I’m less interested to make sure I make it on every 8 hours when the loot is decreased than I was for the 16hr MV. It seems like SG is acting like this change is a benefit to players, and to those that don’t read the forum or know better (the majority of their base), they will think it is.

I think the rub here, is that they had no reason to decrease the loot.

1 Like

Maybe that’s where the misunderstanding is then. It’s not just an increase in the number of items/types of items available (through the addition of emblems) , but an increase in overall loot output if you collect each MV every 8 hours. To me, reducing the amount of items you get at each MV is a logical step if you’re increasing the frequency by which they’re obtained. I doubt that the amount of loot (or the odds for specific loot such as those coveted ascension items) was set arbitrarily for the 16 hr version but rather was set with a balance in mind. Especially for those who would cash in and roll the dice so to speak with each MV right when it was available. With the change literally cutting the time between MV exactly in half, then the amount of loot you obtain at each pull would logically need to be adjusted as well. I’m sure that’s what’s being scoffed at though because I realize there are plenty of people here (or even not on the forum) who don’t believe the loot we already get is a substantial amount. But it’s purely a reward/incentive to watch those ads that are otherwise voluntary anyway and it’s not like it’s a core game activity so fussing when it’s adjusted seems rather silly.

2 Likes

Also, I couldn’t help but post this pull which I got literally right after dropping my last post. The potential for increased chances at non farmable ascension materials like that compass should help emphasize my point

1 Like