Measuring A Player's Skill?

DOTs at dawn, behind the blasted oak! Bring your seconds to carry the bodies away.

3 Likes

I can measure my own skill. I’m a mediocre player and I don’t have the ambition or competitive drive to be more than that.

Doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying the game or contributing to my alliance(s). My motto has always been “what I lack in quality I make up in quantity.”

I use every flag!

5 Likes

Same here. Tho i slack on titan flags sometimes

Cool idea! I have thought of some ideas, but none of them are implementable in the game (I’d need to be a developer, nay, THE developer, for beta).

This seems a solid attempt to do it within the construct of the current game. I doubt I’ll want to burn my WE that way, but will be fascinated to see the results of those that do. Please tag me if results get published!

1 Like

Okie dokie. :slight_smile:

Ugh20

1 Like

Since there’s so much variability in how the game is set up (which is fine with me), the best players are the players that participate to the fullest and contribute to a fun alliance. I’ll take people like that in my alliance over “skilled” a-holes every time.

2 Likes

I’m more interested in competing with myself. If I can beat the AI by 5% this event, I’ll want to beat it by 6% next event, etc.

3 Likes

I’ve got data collected for 10 autoplay runs of Rare 9 with mono yellow and 10 with 2-1-1-1 (double yellow, no purple). Haven’t done any manual runs yet, or crunched any numbers. I’ll do the manual runs after work. I did have a couple of thoughts. We should eliminate any bonus points for the shielded chests from the calculations, since they’re outliers. We should probably also average each subcategory score (time, match, and health) as well as the total score too.

Do we have a new thread to post anything yet?

Not yet. I’m going to complete legendary before re-running the 3* level.
So you’re welcome to start one when you’re ready, or I will tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll start it since I have data. I’ll link it here afterwards

3 Likes

One thing I have noticed with many very skilled/experienced players is that they almost become grouchy and hermetic. They’re barely hanging on to the game and have likely tried quitting a couple of times. They have line, but they don’t really use it much and still question daily “why” they keep playing. If you are lucky enough to find one in a good mood, they’ll happily explain how they do things and be very helpful. For the most part, however, they remain elusive, like the reclusive mountain lion high on marijuana and paranoid that everything is out to get them.

This is not to be confused with the mouthy, controlling know-it-all that derides defense lineups and tells everyone how things SHOULD be. No matter what nugget of truth there may be, it is best to avoid these players in the wild.

What? You expected something insightful and actually gameplay-related?

6 Likes

Lol actually just curious which of those groups i fall into

1 Like

Hmmm… I guess it really depends on what others classify you as.

Wouldn’t be surprised if you lived down the street from me atop Troll Mountain.

3 Likes

We are now testing ‘skill’ here…

@PeachyKeen, why not see how you fare :grin:

Sure. I’m game. I’ll head over and check it out.

3 Likes

I would like to participate in this also. Great idea

1 Like

Absolutely :slightly_smiling_face:. @NPNKY has posted a full preliminary set of results and I just managed the AI runs so far.

Have a read of the thread to see what works well. Given mono is so streaky and the three bosses are pretty tough, I recommend picking a 2-1-1-1 team and two healers to give the AI a chance to produce decent data :+1:

You know I would never mono anyway. Will use my 2 2 1 strategy since that’s how I would play it and possibly run it 3 2 and 2 1 1 1. That way have three different sample sizes.

2 Likes

Interesting poll. All three are important to a player’s success.

Selecting a team is important. You need to tailor the team to counteract the opponent’s strengths. Sometimes hard to do when you have limited options available.

Playing the board is important but doesn’t help if you have a team of misfits.

Long-term resource management is important in strengthening your heroes and troops.

All in all, I think playing the board is the most important. I have limited options in my team building but I can generally still beat opponents 300+ TP higher most of the time. A lot of this is because of turning so-so or bad boards around.

4 Likes

This sounds fun! I’m in!

3 Likes