Hero concept

It’s ok. The most important bit is that if anyone ever got one of these cards, they would still see each one as interesting, if not valuable.

1 Like

Illustration by serenity2200 at deviant art.

So, Wonda is a fast-mana self-healing hero. She heals immensely, but will only deal damage if she has 100% HP right before the attack.

The attack deals damage on Sartana’s level, so she’s not that "scary* as a 1-hitter but her heal will surely make everything more complicated.

3 Likes

Illustration by stuharrington at deviantart.

so, Raven…is probably a concept that’s best to distribute damage evenly among left enemies. So no damage wasted on this case.

It would seem OP but, look at this way, if there are still 5 enemies left, the damage board is pretty much on Zeline’s level, with higher attack stats though.

It would be immensely powerful when there are 2 enemies and esp. an enemy left. But that makes sense given it’s indeed his main key feature.

On top of that, definitely will be useful to fight green Titans as an elemental debuffer with fast mana. He’s solid.

To balance the ability a bit:
He has got rather squishy defense and HP.
Also, the enemies will get the advantage of spirit link buff for 2 turns that cannot be dispelled.

Tell me what you think of it.

3 Likes

Pretty sure you started the QoH concept here.

3 Likes

@Kayo Yes! :stuck_out_tongue: Glad someone noticed. But the concept is pretty general though, so I guess someone else might have gotten a similar idea by then. But idk, the similarities in stats, the minion concept are pretty uncanny, no? xD

Wonda is among my favorites of your designs to date. She would be crippled facing minions, but that’s okay. Nicely balanced. Not a fan of the art at all, though; too cutsy/anime for this game.

No, he’s OP because he applies that fire debuff before attacking. That hit is effectively a 889% hit from a hero with a monster Atk stat; he’s a guaranteed one-shot. If you attack then debuff, this is credible.

That board damage is OP when there’s few enemies left or also when there are almost all/all enemies left?

I thought of making the fite debuff applied last but couldn’t really come up with a good number to deal fair damage when all 5 enemies are still alive. Thoughts?

Thanks! She is also among my favorites along with Raven if the number’s right, also perhaps Zhao Fei (I’m more of a fan of his illustration though). Not

Btw, minions attack after all the buffs processed in a turn? Not sure what you meant exactly, could you elaborate? but if so, I guess it’s a fair game. Just another way to balance her, no?

Maybe I’m not reading it clearly, but if the target first receives a -fire debuff, snd then receives fire damage, they effect is independent of whether there is 1 or 5 heroes left: target is dead. All the other -elemental heroes hit then apply the debuff.

Minion damage is applied close to the end of the minion’s side’s turn. So,suppose Wonda faces a team with some minions active. If even one minion taps her for some tiny damage, she will not do any damage on her strike the following turn. Likewise on defense, if I can drop even one tile on her to charge her special, she won’t hit, merely heal. It’s a big enough heal that it’s a cocern, but still an issue that any damage, at all, neuters her hit.

The way I worded it meant to share the damage taken by the target though. I realized that if there is only 1 enemy left, and no other enemy’s ally to share the damage, it would be a definite one hit. But then again, such situation only happens at the end of the match, which is also pretty similar to Owl’s case (kill him first, then you prevent such disaster from happening).

I wonder if I’m missing something from what you say though.

Umm… so the skill, it was to apply spirit link to the enemies. Then the fire debuff to the target, then damage to the target. So that the 889% effective damage is shared with 5 of them, then when one or another dies, shared consecutively with 4, 3, 2, 1 of them. Wouldn’t the spirit link still apply in this case?

Hmm, so if I hit her, and then she casts her skill, which is 75% of HP heal, and then her hp goes up to 100%, she still won’t hit?

Sorry, I’m probably missing something here. Why would there be any hit in between the first action (as mentioned in the first line of the description) of her skill and the next action immediately following that?

Oops, you’re right—again, an order of operations question. Nothing to see here, move along…

I see the spread, but it’s just too powerful. Even with two heroes near full health, this is a one-shot kill to both. The debuff needs to happen after the attack.

1 Like

Btw, what response to which one is this? Wonda or Raven?

I realize I could’ve had a better simpler wording though.

Order of operations —> Wonda

What about changing the number but keeping the order?

Why are you wed to the order? It’s unprecedented to debuff then strike.

It’s interesting. There are many games when the debuffs can come before the strike from the same caster, but not yet in this game due to one skill per hero per turn mechanism. New things are almost always interesting. Just because it’s never happened, doesn’t mean it can’t happen. I mean before there wasn’t any hero that dispells first before attacking, but now there’s one and it’s neat. It makes the urgency to take it down higher and I love a change of urgency in the game. (This is why I also like the presence of Inari, MN, etc because when they present, they make a new sense of urgency.)

And because it’s single target, so if the order was changed, it could only be a slim chance for the attack to hit the same target.

Other reason would be that if the order was changed, then 480% damage is just underwhelming being spread around 5 heroes and for whatever reasons, I don’t like seeing the numbers being too high to compensate that.

Also, the key concept is that the hero should be quite under par when there are lots of enemies left, but overwhelming when there are few. >> This is the main reason. I wouldn’t go to any direction toward any change that changes this concept. The concept itself doesn’t seem OP because it’s easily manageable. Even if the concept seems OP in some cases, it will still be manageable if you manage to kill a hero carrying the concept earlier in the game, which is basically also the point.

I take your point—it’s very difficult to balance this skill somthat it’s meaningful against a full team without being overpowering as the killing blow.

I’m thinking of getting the number down to 360%, which is an effective 667% after the buff. Huge nerf from the previous numbers, so not incredibly overpowered as before, but probably a bit underwhelming in the beginning phase of the game. But the debuff and fast mana are still good things to have.

1 Like

i like the skill on this one but to be fair he is really OP having the elemental buff before he hits and with that base attack
will have an instant kill if only one left even if they had full HP and will do around 400 damage to all enemies if they still had all 5
also generating mana for Fast hero, add that with Ariel or frair tuck and you would never lose :stuck_out_tongue:

but i really like your designs and ideas thank you for the great effort :smiley:

1 Like

He was indeed designed to be the killer when there are few enemies left. But after a bit calculating, I guess it’s fair to decrease his damage by 35% or so.

Without nerf, he’d probably deal around 1500 damage to a single target, which means 300 damage to each enemies if there are still 5 of them. I guess.

Thanks for your comment and appreciation!