Handling a new player in War that won't cooperate

I am co-leader of our Alliance, and my role is to maintain a loose but cohesive strategy for our team’s War approach. We have a player, that 1) fields a very weak defensive team, using 2 Trainer heroes out of 5 slots; and 2) refuses to follow our offensive directions. As soon as War starts, he will use all three flags to attack a random enemy team, gaining single-digit damage totals. We have tried to talk to him about, if he’s going to participate in War, acting as a cleanup team so as to be more useful to the overall team effort, but he persists in his behavior. The simple solution would be to kick him and be done with it, but we are a dedicated group of older players no longer interested in the highly competitive aspects of the game and more interested in sharing our knowledge and nurturing younger, less experienced players. Thus far, this player has not responded to any attempts to contact him in chat, to the point that we (leadership) are not even sure that he reads the chat. He has not posted once. Kicking him seems to run counter-intuitive to our stated purpose as an Alliance, but we don’t know what else to do. There is no control for our leader to determine who participates in War or not, and there is no way to contact him via a direct, private message. I’m looking for opinions on how your various Alliances would handle a situation like this. We want to do the right thing, and foster a young player, but we also don’t want to do it to the detriment of the rest of the Alliance.
Thank you to those who take the time to answer!!!
Scott

5 Likes

Fire his :zebra: just dump him . Dont look back dont think about it

14 Likes

It sounds like you’ve made every effort possible. I wouldn’t feel bad about booting him. If he’s not reading the chat then you can’t do much to help him either. I would maybe make one last attempt, something like if you don’t respond then we will have to boot you.

7 Likes

As someone who learned a lot from his first alliance (thanks Misfits of Death @theSandman ), I agree that you should remove the player if they won’t follow the alliance rules. Learning has to be a reciprocal process: the new player has to be open and willing to learn, including following rules and engaging collaboratively with their alliance. Seems like this player has no interest in doing so. But perhaps warn them first, to see if this will change their behavior. Being a good alliance member, and being kicked out for being a bad one, are important lessons for the game too!

Thanks for having a great mission and values for your alliance! I hope young/new players will take advantage, and appreciate, what your alliance is offering!

3 Likes

he probably isn’t reading chat and if he is inexperienced enough to be using trainer heroes in war, he may not even be aware there is a chat if it’s not currently visible to him, no idea how you address this, but he obviously found his way to global chat or found you someway so i am sure he would be able to again…

2 Likes

Kick him so that he can find an alliance that is a better fit for the way he wants to play the game.

3 Likes

Yeah. Sounds like you’ve been more than reasonable. Alliances are a two way street. If he’s not responding at all, and has never responded, then he isn’t interested in being part of a team and you’re within your rights to remove him.

Sounds like his presence IS a detriment to the rest of the alliance…

6 Likes

Before the end of alliance war and turn the alliance to invitation status for awhile.

That player needs to learn his behaviour may unsettled others players and play together in a community.

1 Like

I don’t think that you are in any way fostering this player by tolerating this behaviour.

tolerating

Is this simply a low level player in a high level alliance? If so, it’s just a bad fit.

If you want to foster then the most important thing would be to time the kick. If you happened to see the player making the first or second of three attacks, an ideal would be to kick during or immediately after these attacks. Otherwise kick just after a war, or after the war chest has been filled if your extraordinarily charitable feelings stretch further.

1 Like

Kick him without hesitation, out of respect for the team members who make the efforts to follow the rules. I am a committed player and i left many alliances because of other team members leaving war flags and not following rules.

2 Likes

different team members may have different values.

For instance:

may be more interested in getting things right for the player.

1 Like

Indeed, but in this specific case, the rookie doesn’t seem to care much and doesn’t seem to seek guidance.

3 Likes

The whole War Chest thing went into my initial thinking…who are we to deny him access to that loot? However, looking at it in the context of all of these comments, it occurs to me he’s not really doing anything to earn that loot. For the totality of War, he’s scoring in the single digits, and for defense, he’s not much more than a speed bump for the enemy, albeit an inconvenient one.

2 Likes

Seems like the player is just doing his or her own thing. Could be a language barrier or just the way the player wants to play the game and is doing as they think it’s best…

I would probably eventually kick too, have tried to reach out in similar cases and it rarely works if the person is simply not reading the chat at all.

Demoting is an option to catch their attention (or doing some promoting/demoting if they were never promoted to elder) or writing messages to answer ig in the chat, as an alliance message etc. if you can tell by their ig name where they’re from you can try using Google translate to write in their own language.

BUT experience tells me: none of that really helps most times. Someone who is interested in teamwork does the translating themselves if that’s the problem and communication happens.

It’s usually better for the alliance to end the frustration quickly or more valued members move on

4 Likes

War has started, kick as soon as you see that the player has made some hits, as long as other alliance members broadly agree.

You’re right. Giving access to the war chest might foster a view that s/he had contributed to it.

1 Like

You have an honorable attitude. I also grew up in such an alliance and am very grateful to our leader at the time.

But your member doesn’t take your advice. He obviously doesn’t want to be fostered. He ignores you. He doesn’t want to be part of the community.

Kick him.

7 Likes

Kick as the final step can still be right

2 Likes

Im not in a highly competitive alliance, and we support new players who make an effort, but this dude would have been out after the 3rd strike maximum.

The key word here is “alliance”.

Is he/she an active participant in what this group of people are trying to achieve? Doesnt sound like it to me.

People dont have to engage in chat, but they have to be able to read the general rules and to follow the war strategy discussed in chat.

If they can’t or won’t… they cant be here. Eventually, that one player is going to cost you victory in an evenly matched war. At that point you may lose valuable players who are fed up with carrying a piece of dead wood.

Id stop thinking about what I need to do to fix this player who shows no sign of wanting repair, and start thinking about how to show value to all the others that already meet our standards.

Boot this one, and have zero regrets.

5 Likes

You cannot teach a player that doesn´t communicate, nice of you to try, but unless you get them talking to you, there is no way this will ever work.
The only question you need to ask yourself is how long do you want to try to get them to talk. Once that time is over you kick them out.
Personally I have made the experience that people either want to talk or not. Trying to change that behaviour is unlikely to meet much success in the first place. So I would try for a few days and that´s it. Everything else you do is a waste of your time that would better be invested teaching people that can be taught.

4 Likes

I think everyone agrees. Kick them. I’m all for trying but you’ve done that.

2 Likes