Do you really like living or dying by RNG?

Again, what on earth drives you to think that?
I wanna lose when I play poorly and win when I play well. What a revolutionary concept, eh?
Beyond the fact that it is simply wrong to win because you luck out on poor play and to lose when you play well because the RNG has decided so it stays true that the two circumstances don’t even out for decent players.
Decent players don’t need luck to win but they will still lose a certain number of games out of the intrinsic mechanisms of random.

I really struggle to understand why that has to be the case - apart from tiles where random is needed.

On a side note I’m somewhat tired of people trying to make a personal case or a twisted interpretation of a very simple question: do you like the existence of a dynamic that implies you will necessarily lose (or win) some games no matter what?

If you can’t stick to answering that question sounds like this is the wrong thread for you chap.

5 Likes

I think I’d be interested on what you propose to change the random parts like talents/ chance of dodge/ blind/ who Alfrike will hit etc to?

Also what the change would be for AI targeting for slash attacks etc as there appears to be an amount of random in there too given how often they hit ghosted heroes

I’m very sorry to hear that you and your alliance are leaving @Yhc , though I applaud your decision to walk away from something that does not bring (enough) fun anymore. I will miss your thoughtful, well-articulated posts and opinions though - such as this thought-provoking topic. (and, thank you for patiently and politely explaining where you’re coming from - I can see some responders here didn’t get it…!)

And I get what you mean, so many RNG elements on top of one another (whether a class talent will kick in, increased dodging, that blasted ninja family bonus).

I don’t particularly like it, I’ve learned to live with it.

I had to shift to Mono in War because I’m one of the top alliance hitters, so I need to at least tank bust the top defenses we face. My roster is, unfortunately, not broad / good enough to run Rainbow in wars, and 3/2 is also a struggle. So I had to go mono, and live/die by RNG for the chance to at least murder the tank. What else can I do, when my team isn’t strong enough to take repeated hits?

I do appreciate the times when RNG works in my favor. I get mildly annoyed when RNG is so bad, I feel I can’t do anything. I can live with the amount of RNG in the game because I temper my playing level - that is, I don’t raid up too high; I don’t aim for too-high loot tiers in Challenge Events, etc. etc. I think if I aimed higher, I would be much less satisfied!

2 Likes

To simply answer the question of the thread : no.
I am 100% with you on RNG sucking. It sucks in wars, in summons, in heroes’ usability, in rewards…

I’ve seen kadilen’s entire team dodge my specials TWICE in row. 45%? Lol my azz. My Wu is benched for months now as he missed more than hit. MN revive rate was poor for me too.

Summons - ten pull after ten pull and nothing, nada. Then some dude on forum pulls the hero he wanted most through free coins. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Don’t even get me started on being at mercy of boards.
“Oh so you calculated to make this move to have a nice combo if you get the desired tile? Watch me mess the entire board by giving you the color you already cleared!”

Rng screws rewards too. Not having a guaranteed 4* mat every chest war and by completing difficult event is a joke.
My latest POV elite chest brought me trash, but hey, someone scored two d.blades or a tabard from a basic chest, so there is balance and fairness !

Honestly this thread is a proof how strategy doesn’t exist in this game. You are either lucky or not.
And those people screaming “yeah but rng is favorable too!” … Do you really enjoy winning by three moves because rng was in your favor? Are you five years old?

To sum it up… Rng gonna ruin this game, at least for me. One day i will just have enough of this gambling for nothing.

3 Likes

When it comes to game play / style run by RnG, In my 20 months of play, while I have skipped math,- numbers (bcoz, Heroes I take - my play style - RnG changes realities despite the math)…
BuT
thanks to few YouTubers sharing various play-styles online, I have seen that, despite taking heroes with whatever logic (strong colours against TANK, FLANK, etc) board play is the Key to HIGHeR % of WiNs. EveN in a loSS, I plaYed the board aspecT …gives me a FuN satisfaction…

Also, while troops can help charge up faster / hit harder… it still comes down to board play,
bcoz,
RnG makes any logic of hero colour I take practically ZERO (by not giving tiles, not letting hero charge up = be a sitting ducK, etc), even though probability of every colour showing up is 20% :grinning:

This MysterY aspect makes this game damn exciting for me… so no complain about board RnG !

While I feel the emotions of losses, especially the narrow ones, but as I have played more, I have also collected many narrow WiNs… & enjoYed the thrill how it happenD ! (In raiDs / WaRs)

Same logiC for suMMons RnG, bcoz, 200 pulls got me 0 & many single pulls got me amazinG heroes… so as painFull it is someTimes, that aspect is settleD !

RnG in various rewarDs (tournamTs, chesTs, etc) is the same… I have three 5* nature ethers… while still have to get the 5th for ICE & Fire… + despite have five for HolY, I haven’t decided who to use it on… ! :rofl:

FinaLLy, for me RnG (MysteRy) makes this gaMe worth it, bcoz = “it could be a poSSibiliTy…!” aspect…
else,
I would have been boreD & left long back, as I DiD with other strateGy games despite being hooKeD earLy on in a BiG way !

RnG is cool, despite all emotions abouT it ! :grinning:

I’m not completely out of the door just yet, but the way things are it could happen any minute.
My alliance, OTOH, is melting.
Not just because of RNG, but it definitely has a role: accepting its existence means that you can try to overcome it only with power creep and continuous injection of heroes, talents and aethers to your roster which we all know means a significant amount of money.

For starters I would have all percentages of dodges/misses become effectiveness: if you dodge 15% you get 85% of skill/tile efficacy.
That would make RNG effects a lot less “impulsive” and closer to their average nature.
Talents should probably be thought from the start, but passive skills that can erase the skills for which you have worked 6 to 14 tiles is atrocious. At the very least they should be “graced” (no more than n in a row) or increasingly nerfed at every use.

Defense hits should be rethought as well, not just for specials.
We come from an E&P era where they would just randomly hit and are now in one where they target a hero.
We have a hidden bonus that has been developed to overcome the poorness of AI of defenses.
I believe there is an original sin for this that has never been addressed and then “solutions” have failed to solve the problem, but this would take us very far.
The fact is that you should expect a war to be something predictable to a reasonable extent and not be decided by three consecutive tsunamis like the Mongols [attempted] invasion of Japan.

But, as I said earlier, this is how I feel about RNG.
I just hate it so much I use % heroes only when I really have to because I feel that if I wanted something that refuses to do what it’s told I’d have cats or teenage kids.
@dansing likes it to the extent he uses it also on his/her caps lock :wink: and that’s perfectly fine.
The only thing I don’t like too much in his message - sorry pal - is that his liking of RNG appears flirtatious with wicked forms of reinforcement.

4 Likes

Pal, RNG exists in every stage / area of life…. THINK !!
Just a different term is used = Mystery…

I chose / find a way to engage, instead of crib crib crib…. Else why play the game !?

Also, I disagree with the power creep balancing RNG point. All whales / power creepers = Limit broken +20 emblems season 4 heroes fall like paper cards when there are no tiles…
So
Despite spends, RNG reduces its power…

I have many top heroes & hence have shared from experience…

When people want their view to be agreed / complied with…. W.r.t. this game….THEN, The real issue seems something else & not RNG !

Wish you well, with whatever you chose : play or not ! :wink:

Without RNG in the game I would not have a choice, I’d just be dying, dying, dying. RNG is what keeps it somewhat more even and lets me have a small chance at beating the spenders.

2 Likes

I think our normal lifes incorporate a rng like mechanism too. Call it quantum mechanics, or try a spiritual aproach, fact is our lifes are controlled by many forces we can not change or control: some people win the lottery others die from accidents. If you want to build a computer modell of real life you have to use some rng.
Without rng the outcome of this game would be clear: The more you spend the higher you rank. Is this a favorable alternative? I dont think so. This would be boring.
Do I like to summon 15 times for crap - no!
Do I love to summon a 5* with a single pull - Yes!
Both options are two sides of the same coin. One side can not exist without the other. So are many aspects of the game. If I win a raid, someone has to loose it.
Do I like the rng -not really but I think there are no better solutions for the general game mechanic. But I dont like heroes like Danza, who are 100% rng dependant.

Happy gaming

2 Likes

Never said that.
I said that the only way to overcome RNG is power creep.
Which is a systematic very well known fact in engineering, primary example being anti-seismic buildings: provided you design them well the greater the chance (and effect) of the form of random known as earthquakes the “stronger” your structure needs to be.

Sorry, but if RNG is well designed its mean effect is zero.
Otherwise it’s biased.
What an RNG does is introducing variance meaning that yes, you will win some unfavourable matches. But you will also lose some favourable :woman_shrugging:t3:
You could just win/lose the ones you deserve.

Because right now it’s not like this, right? :rofl:
Previous argument stands: proper RNG should have no effect on average.
Unless it has, in which case it favours someone which is an allegedly undesired effect.

This has never been about pulls.
It’s about winning or losing matches because of RNG.

2 Likes

Many here seem to think they deserve to win all of them.

If you remove RNG this becomes a completely different game. Maybe that would be one you prefer. I am not at all convinced I would.

1 Like

But we have had plenty of E&P without all this RNG :woman_shrugging:t3:

So many shouldn’t like it because with it you are bound to lose some no matter what.

True, there’s no RNG in the buildings you get to create, or the path you take through the maps.

Yes, that was the point.

What is the difference???

Balancing implies the concept of balance and is something the devs must do.
Overcoming difficulties is irrelevant of balance and up to the players.

In S1 we only had a bunch of RNG skills (which already felt like too many).
No talents, no ninjas and so on.

1 Like

Hey, you asked a question and I answered. I don’t think either is going to change the other’s opinion here.

But…

Isn’t power creep not up to the player…?

The RNG rampage is not an opinion, thou.

Linguistic issue here, I presume.
To me it’s power creep both the offer from the game and the decision to buy into that from the players.
Because, you know, they need each other to exist.

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

In my opinion RNG is something that has always been an important element in the game. Yes there are more factors but I don’t see it as a rampage myself.

I really like this:

However,
It was this way from day 1
Whether your first day was 4 years ago
Or yesterday…

There is a linguistic issue in this thread

E&P Strategy: A manner of gameplay attempting to limit the player’s exposure to RnG.

Not official definition… as there is only opinions for all things

What is different from my Day 1, is that exposure is greater, and limits the amount of time for strategy. 2 years ago I could navigate bad boards.
But did not:

Today for me, is beginning to feel like all matches are Rush mode.
Win… or Lose!
Which is a less enjoyable experience in my opinion. Just skip to the defeat/victory screen after we push the button… weeeeee
Next…

I should spend more? Or… accept my place in lower ranks after not spending anything at all. Again…
No wonder the game is in decline

Exactly :point_down: