Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

At least I won’t be bothered with it then.

I am lazy and don’t mind loosing against an obvious stronger alliance. But is there any fun for the winner then?

1 Like

we just received our second pairing with this system. The previous war was great, very similar to the 2 alliances and we won by a few points at the end of the war, very funny. In the war that has coincided today, they are going to crush us. Given the pairing I understand that we have a greater bank of heroes, but it will serve us against their defenses. We do not have any 4/80 and they very much, our bank of heroes 4 * 3/60 and 3 * full will not do anything against their defenses. Clearly, there is a need to make some change that gives the importance that it deserves to the main defense team

1 Like

Uhm, NOPE! I’m losing hope for us with this matching system, now that I see our next match. It will be a far worse slaughter than the last one. This time we’ll be lucky to keep their score under 3X our score; last one we just barely kept it to double.

I’m realizing that the top-30 system badly penalizes a specific class of player, that I’m part of, and so are quite a few players in my alliance.

I’m a mid-game player, with one team of 4*/5* heroes, with three well on their way toward level 70, and a working on bringing my second set of five up toward level 60. Have a few 4* and a bunch of 3* troops, with a few levels. My best team power is 3270. Getting any of my 5* heroes into their final ascension is way out on the horizon for me, never mind taking them all the way to level 80.

I paid for enough summons to get to this hero selection the fast way, and I’ve hoarded all but a triplicate 4* hero, all my 5* heroes, and a good selection of 3* heroes, some maxed, some unleveled, a few in between which I’m keeping for challenges, and my last rounds in wars.

All those >2* unleveled heroes in my bench are the “problem”.

If I had played free long enough to be running TC20, I would probably have built a higher TP set of ~10 4* (maybe a 5*) developed heroes, have most of the 4* maxed…and my back bench of ~15 would still have some 2* feeders. With a similar Top-30 TP.

Or if I had brutally fed every hero I wasn’t going to level up right now to my top 5~10, I would be better off too.

My bench has a great deal of value for me in the game to level up in the future … months from now … but it thrashes me in this AW top-30 matching score, at least compared to the effectiveness my bench has in action.

When I’ve played another few months, I imagine I’ll “outgrow” this issue with top-30, because I’ll build the strength of my top 15, and most of the competition I’ll be facing will also have a bench of hoarded (if not developed) higher level heroes, instead of 2* feeders.

Note: I’m not suggesting that one play style is better or worse…just that one is rewarded and one is punished by top-30 AW matchups. And while I don’t KNOW for sure, I’m guessing that Small Giant doesn’t really intend to discourage my moderately higher spending style of play!

1 Like

Unfair match ups discourage new members who are just building their teams.

5 Likes

We were down 2600 to 700 after 7 hours. We had 100% participation, they had 4 players post zeroes. They stopped attacking early in the second half…Final score 4500 to 2600. We only had 1 loss under the previous format. So we were a well better than average team. And we just got owned.

2 Likes

Last war we went again an alliance with 15 members over 3k. For tomorrow we have a rival with 19 guys over 3k and a bunch in 2900+. We only have 6 people over 3k. They are also 20K above us in alliance score (with good reason)
We are a very active alliance and won our first 9 wars due to a higher participation, but no matter how active my teammates are, we can not beat this odds.
I do not know how the match up is calculated (read it is based in the 30 strongest heroes in each player rooster) but for us it is working far worse than the previous system.
If aditional data helps in any way let me know and I will add it

2 Likes

The new Alliance War matching system is a joke. Even more pathetic are the rewards for participation.

We were 14 - 2 Under the previous war system. Our first war in this new matchup system we were slaughtered because of the extremely high defense of the opposing team.

In our current matchup the opposing team has 19 members greater than 3400 power and six members greater than 3900 power. Our top player has 3700 power and we only have around 10 members above 3400 power.

This war is going to be a loss. There is no way that we can compete due to their defensive strength.

It is simply not possible with this new system. How was this not recognized in beta.

1 Like

If the existing matching system is indeed “combined power of top 30 heros of every member in an alliance” then that is fine for balancing out an Alliance’s offensive power.

That method does nothing to balance out the defensive power, and the defense teams are active in every fight.

If an alliance mostly composed of members with one really strong offense team, one really strong defense team, and four weak other teams is matched with an alliance that has lots of of medium-to-strong teams, the alliance with the strong defense should win. The very strong defense will be an unbreachable wall after the strongest hits are used up… the deep rosters of the weaker alliance will count for nothing.

As a proposed solution… The top 30 heroes of every player are already being used for comparison… keep doing this… but ALSO compare the power of the top 5 heros of every player. Match up alliances where BOTH the top 30 and top 5 numbers are similar.

2 Likes

Hey Finny!

It’s not that the new system is a joke, it’s just that it was only thought through half way… they did figure out how to balance offensive power… they just forgot to factor in defense (which is always on and does not have to be swapped out after every fight).

The reason why this wasn’t found in Beta, as I understand it, is that in beta everyone gets maxed heroes… there are no teams that aren’t fully ascended. So it’s fully maxed heroes going against fully maxed heroes… lots of live-environment scenarios get missed in testing like that.

2 Likes

Second war, with the new improved recipe. This time a 20k mismatch (on the teams average) their top player is 4k, ours is 2.5k

Sad to see my initial concerns were fully founded.

Once again, we have pulled all our people who are online.

Playing marbles was so much easier.

2 Likes

Power match up of the top 5 might not be the best. Where I see that thought going wrong is a just pulled 5* hero has more power on the card than a fully leveled 3*. The 5* also has more power than a partially leveled 4*. Given a choice to set up a defense given the cards that I said, would you go for a newly pulled 5* on your defense team or a fully leveled 3*. Now because of the way the match ups work your opponents are attacking with 3rd ascension 4* heroes. Because they are around the same points as your just pulled 5*. Now lets say your 3* heroes are not quite fully leveled. For debating purposes lets say they are level 40 at the second ascension, but you also have some unleveled 5* and 4* 's it puts your top 5 power kinda high when in reality you don’t have very strong heroes. This is the problem that people are running into right now. I don’t think that solution will fix the problem. Just make it worse.

I have a spreadsheet of the last 4 wars but would rather not share them publicly - can I send them to you in a PM? I think the info is fairly easy to follow but can always explain what I was looking at if need be.

There is a major problem at the base and that is that the weighting of the heroes is bad in itself. And if you base the pairing on something that no longer works, you will logically get something that is still not working. Apart from this logically what has been said, the weight of the defense is perhaps more important than the weight of your 30 attack heroes

1 Like

If this is considered into the matching system, there is trouble indeed.

3 Likes

So I decided to take a break from the game starting this past Monday, but I’m still hanging around my alliance’s Discord server, so they’re keeping me posted on developments in-game. And I have to say, I’m extremely disappointed in the new matchmaking system. Prior to this previous war, we had only lost once. We are very organized in war; we assign targets, and we use strong teams to weaken opposing strong teams, and weaker teams to finish them off or take out weak opposing teams. So imagine our OUTRAGE at the ridiculously unfair matchup we received for Wednesday’s war!

Our opponent:

I can’t post more than one image since I’m a new user (dumb rule…), so…our highest cup count at the time of that screenshot was 1868, and our alliance score was 64,210. I know that’s not taken into account, but I feel it needs mentioning. Needless to say, we were slaughtered: 4977 to 2412. They literally doubled our score. And from what I’ve heard about today’s matchup so far, it’s not looking any better. Our opponent has 17 teams over 3k power. We have four or five, I think. I have no screenshots yet, but I’m sure I will before the day is over. Please explain to me how this is an improvement. :frowning:

4 Likes

We are about to go into our 2nd slaughter thanks to the terrible new matching system.The only hope we’d have of winning this war was if we made all of our lower level players opt out (no defense set up) so that they couldn’t be massacred over and over again but that’s a lousy way to treat team members. Please fix this or change it to a challenge/accept situation where both teams agree to go to war. At least that way the match-ups would be closer.

Just by the cups showing, you can see the mismatch. There is no bench involved where Pasargada is concerned. 25 of the members have teams of a couple of 3s and 2s, some have Bane and 2*s

If you arrange you heroes by power and look at what your “top 30” heroes are that they are calculating into match ups. You might be surprised to find lower or non leveled 5* heroes.
My top 30 by power:

My top 5 are not my defense team. Not even sure if there is a decent tank in my top 5. I have a few more 3* heroes leveled. Do you really think that I would pick non leveled 5* heroes for an attacking team over a fully leveled 3*?

The key to solve lv5* issue is to fill the remaining n°/30 spots with maxed 3* heroes. Magically the team power creep (of unusable heroes vs usable ones) will decrease.

Meaning? To win war you should have usable heroes, if fighting low lever wars you have many 1.1 5* heroes you should empower your 4* to 3.60 (and use their power lever) or levelling 3* heroes to 3.50 and reduce the power gap with usable heroes.

This is a 100% Balthazar btw, it have more power than a 1.1 Aeron