Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

Agreed. 2 wars so far and both opponents have had 5-6 teams higher than our highest, and their lowest is higher than our 2 lowest. Currently we have 3 players w def over 3500, 1 of those over 36. They have 6 of those- incuding 3 over 4100. Their best can one-shot our best. It will take 2 3 or more attacks from our best teams to take out their top guys. That rolls all the way thru the alliance and their weak teams won’t respawn enough for our deeper benches (which also isn’t clear to being the case) to prevail. Pretty epic fail.

They also discourage established players from spending more money on the game. I generally buy the war pack before each war, spending the $$ to get the gens if I don’t have them. Now that seems pointless as we are nowhere near the power of the teams we have bern matched with.

1 Like

How can you not also take into account troops? As they are used in every war so shouldn’t there also be a factor involved for the top 5 troops?

While I feel that the new matching system is wrong and I personally don’t like it and as we are told they are still working on it so that’s good.
But a few points that need raised here
Firstly we are told they are looking at weighting the top 5 hero’s as they are most likely being used for def team. - that is so not correct I have full 4-80 5* but I have Rigard in my def line up as I don’t have yet a 5* healer to replace him
Secondly we have not been told if the formula for matching is based on the lvl your hero is or the maxed value. If you have the luck as a new player to pull a nice 5* of any colour does this immediately count as if it is fully maxed. And we all know that getting a 5* is just the easy part as for a new player it can take months to lvl fully

1 Like

Hi @Petri here are the matchups from our most current war. In what ways were we supposed to be a challenge to this Alliance?

5 Likes

Yep. We had the same issue. Their 79k to our 61k. We are a young alliance with most players at just over 30 days playing. Getting your demolished by heroes they haven’t even seen was a blow to their enthusiasm.
Very dissapointed in whatever they did in 10 day maintenance break.

2 Likes

They have 7 players with 0 score… We have 2. Second war under this matching system. Same result.

1 Like

#600 113k points pitted against #18 149k points

This was taken at time of prep start
Average player levels were also off with us having a 38 to their 43

I honestly fail to imagine how those players (who all had troops of a level that spoke of “non casual” play) could be a fair match for us

2 Likes

I have fought 2 and we overpowered by 5k but we almost won extremely close. The arrow attacks took most of us out.

Well despite being told the matching system has been fixed this was what was faced. There was a 40k difference in team scores and they were no way a new alliance. With many high lvl and high score players.
Well the inevitable happened they beat us by nearly double our score. All our hits were used they had 4 players that didn’t even bother to hit

2 Likes

I was curious to see the results of the new matching system which seemed at first rather well conceived. Result is that we have never had such unbalanced wars with the old system ! I tried to find the reasons and they were very well explained by TigerDevil above. Our opponents had superior defense teams of more than 10.000 points. The teams were nearly all more than 3500 with some 4000. Our average is 3100 with 5 teams more than 3500. The new match making implies that they had secondary teams partly weaker than our, so the first idea is that the second round could balance the odds . BUT : what happened is that with the difference between the stronger teams they were able to achieve a lot of one shots, clean the board, have a respawn and fight again, what we were unable to realize. The resulting difference in points is impossible to fill.
This is a gap I had not thought of at all. The trouble is not to lose the war but to have no chance of winning it. I submit the problem to the developers but I have no solution to offer. Twice their titan score was 10.000 points higher than our, so I think that in the previous matching system we would never have had such opponents.

3 Likes

Ok. Long post coming, but an example of what we view as a mismatch under the new system. We are not an alliance that expects to win every war. We were 11-5 or 10-6 under the old system, now 0-2 with the new… And we never feel like we have a chance to win now. That wasnt the case previously.
Lucy’s kitchen vs. RESSURECTION
Score: 4368 - 3103

some info:
They had 21 fully leveled 5 stars across 7 defensive teams, including 2 teams of 5 and 1 of 4. We have 1 fully leveled 5 star on our teams.
They had 45 fully leveled 4* we had 50. They used 12 3* on defense we used 11.
We had 31 other 5* on our teams they had 24. Most of ours are tier 2, most of theirs tier 3.
They had 11 players with 4 star troops levelled to double digits we have 0.
Team mix:
They had 4 over 4000 with 2 over 4100. We have 0.
They had 5 over 3500. We have 3. Their best in that range was 3895. Our strongest is 3678.
Over 3000 they had 16 us 21.
Over 2500 both 3.
Under 2500 them 2 us 3. Their low is 2310 ours 2266.
Alliance score 108185 to our 86582.
We averaged 24.62 points per attack over 127 attacks. They averaged 25.84 over 169. Technically if we had hit all 180 attacks we could have won at that average. But if they had done the same we would have lost by around 450.
Keeping that average would have been tough. We had a top hitter miss her 6 attacks but we also had our bottom 3 missing 12 amongst them.
Our bottom 2 guys hit 6 times for 11 points. Yes, we tried to leave clean up for the weak teams but had to balance that with needing to knock their weak teams out early so we got respawns. And we did do some of that as our 2500 - 3000 point teams did some of our cleanup.
Regardless, our deeper benches - if that was actually the case which I doubt with their troop levels- were never going to be able to take down their 9 teams that were over 3500 points, at least not without chewing through a bunch of attacks which would have lowered our average score.
We now have folks wanting to leave wars as it feels hopeless from the beginning. In the past we felt we could overcome with good teamwork and communication. Now it feels like we would have to play a perfect game to overcome the matches we are getting.

1 Like

My strongest attack team is 3500 and because of the revenge arrows (I always add 300 to their teams), I couldn’t fight the first SEVENTEEN of the opposing alliance, who had 27 members. My issue is with the revenge arrows. I would like to see them eliminated for defense teams over 3000. They give an added boost to the lower teams and I’m okay with that.

3 Likes

My suggestion to the devs:
Reach out to leaders that have posted about matchup imbalances. Wait for the next war matchup to be set. Join their alliance at that point so you can monitor the war without being included in their defensive teams. Do this for your average alliance, not for ones in the top 100.
You could even volunteer to direct the attacks, so you could ensure they do things the “right” way. See what the results turn out to be.

3 Likes

@mhalttu, second war report under new matching.

My expectations were off. It was another slaughter, but a closer one this time, we lost by 2211 last time, only 1311 this time. Which I find interesting, since they looked tougher.

One thing to note: here are two teams worth the exact same 74 points to kill, one from each side. On our side, team power is lower by 202 points for the same score in war, which makes a big difference in success rate! (This imbalance went thru all participants; I just picked one example) This is a scoring issue rather than a matching one, but addressing it is worth looking at too.

Totalmente de acuerdo son muy injustas las guerras

Agree with alliance war matching concerns, seems to have gotten worse with last update. Here, based on titan score, we were 40k less than opponent. Opponent had almost all defense teams 3k+ with lowest 2550. This wasn’t even a match. I would be frustrated i I were them too because of being matched against a much weaker opponent.

4 Likes

Here you go: New Page 1

I have detailed stats like this on the last 9 wars. We have been the underdog in every single war since wars started. Every one. We’ve actually been able to win a few, but a lot of them have been like this. I’m guessing there have been 15 wars so far? This is what they’ve all looked like for us. Where’s the fun when you go into a competition knowing there’s not a chance in hell that you’re going to win? How many wars do we have to play before we are stronger than the enemy, or even better yet, even with them?

2 Likes

Another war, another loss for Drama Freedom. 0-2 since the changes to the matchmaking system, both times due to gross mismatches.

Our opponent:

Our highest trophy count matches their sixth highest, and their alliance score is 22k higher than ours (again, I know those aren’t figured in at all, but it seems to be a pretty accurate reflection of the power they have at their command). I have no screenshots of their defense teams, but I was told they had 17 over 3k, whereas we only have four or five over 3k. The results were inevitable; we lost 4284 to 2477. Not quite as badly as last time, but still a resounding defeat. Please fix this, Small Giant! It’s very discouraging, both to new players and to seasoned ones as well!

5 Likes