Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

Ouch RNG screwed you there bud. Not sure how matchmaking thought that was the team for u lol. Hopefully next war RNG will be more kind.

1 Like

@t79m

When I still waged wars we had similar problems with scores. However the one thing which almost never was offset was the Alliance War Score. As you can see, that War score is almost even for both alliances, despite the fact that the total score is way different, but that’s due to Trophy and Titan score.

My guess is that the War score is important for pairing in wars, whereas total, Trophy and Titan scores are disregarded.

Actually, it is not a guess but a fact. That is how matchmaking should normally work. But not in this case. Something went terribly wrong and I immediately knew it even before start of this war. I have seen their raid defenses and I know how our players defenses and rosters look like. Judging by Titan score I guess they are slaying 9*+ Titans and we usually do 7* and barely beat 8* (not on a regular basis). This also an indicator on how good is their bench.
So my question remains: “How it is possible them to have nearly same war score with us?”

We don’t have any new players and our war score did not jump by a big leaps unlike theirs. Their went up by a giant leap without any new players joining them.
See comparison after this war:

It’s possible they had a really long loss streak vs equally strong opponents which resulted in their war score dropping gradually, until they finally hit a pairing vs a much weaker alliance. On the other hand, if you performed really well despite your limited rosters, then it’s the other way around and your war score increased. Something like that. There are also other possibilities but since someone may find them offensive I’d keep them to myself. Not so hard to guess what those are though…

Edit: Also, don’t forget that both the Titan score and the Trophy score can be very easily manipulated by anyone - for example I have really low trophy and titan score on purpose. So it’s actually a very good decision to leave them out of the matchmaking process.

Not a fan of conspiracies but I tend to agree on this. Looks like the most realistic scenario to me.

Nevermind, it is over and I expect my question will be ignored by devs and will never get to know what really happened.

Talk about a mismatch! It was even in the name… Misfit Toys.

@Rook good war, at least for you all! Completely destroyed us! :smiley:

Please lie to me and say you were on a losing streak, at least. :wink:

Are you serious? From that, all I can see is an almost perfect match? What am I missing?

There are things going on that are not mentioned in the release notes; e.g. your war score will get adjusted more than once after a win or loss these days. But, yeah! It’s like what’s wrong with this picture? Since the most recent build, I’m seeing somethings strange.

1 Like

War score has always fluctuated “more than once” as people level heroes and troops as well as opt in or out of war.

1 Like

I’m not talking about those points that you pick up as heroes are levelled up. I am talking about two repeating set percentages, circumstances dependant war score points increases POST win.

3 of the 4 wars before you were losses. Maybe the game took pity on us. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for playing with us!

1 Like

Most of the time I defend the war matchmaking mechanics, I think they are not as bad as many make them, but our last war was really strange.

We changed from green tanks to dark a few wars ago, since than we one every war.
Before the last war we won 6 in a row. That alone is already a little bit surprising and our longest winning streak by far but I won’t complain :sweat_smile:
But in our last war we get matched against an opponent with one team less. I mean I get it, that if you win to much and your score get to high, that there isn’t another team with similar points, that you get matched against a team with more opponents.
But the other way round seems just ridiculous. We were already on a winning streak and than we also get an opponent with such a big disadvantage?

Sometimes I just don’t understand the mechanics of that at all…

Hi, I am leader of an alliance, The Calypso and we have one long term member who has be ed n offline for 4 days. I don’t want to boot him since he’s been with us for over 700 days but I want to OPT him out of war so we all dont take the hit. Can you fix this?

Annieb is a fellow player, not SG. To my knowledge, you cannot opt out single players at this time, but you can opt out the entire alliance:

Alliance > War > Settings > Uncheck Alliance Wars

Could someone please explain the rationale behind the game matching our alliance (4 members participate), with an alliance with 5 members participating? Right out of the gate, the opposing alliance had 2 advantages in this war: more potential points-per-flag, since our defensive points (~1500) were divided amongst 4 defenses, whereas their defense points were divided amongst 5 defenses; and, the opposing alliance received 6 additional attack flags that our alliance did not receive.

Needless to say, we lost the war (~6200 to ~6800, I don’t have the game opened atm so do not have exact scores). This mismatch for war should not have happened and our alliance members are pretty upset… In perspective of how bad this type of mismatch is – all of my attacks were 1-shots, all against the 3 highest defense scores (took out the same 3 defenses twice), and yet the opposing alliances’ best scorer toped the war chart scoreboard (beat my score by roughly 100 points) after having done: four 1-shots; a clean-up; and, a fail.

Unfortunately, despite numerous complaints, it isn’t actually a ‘mistake’:

Not that it helps to solve the feeling of the matchup being unjust.
That said, I don’t know if the algorithm has been tweaked since that post was made, though I have my doubts it has been.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I’ll pass on the info to my alliance members.

1 Like

Is there something that can be done for alliances that honey pot during wars. It might just be me but that’s not in the spirit of the alliance wars

Deliberately putting out a weak team? Not as such, and depends on your own alliance’s strategy.

I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned here on the forums (and others probably have as well), that the only time it’s worth putting out such a weak team is if the player’s strongest team can be one-shot by the opponent’s weakest team. I.e. under any circumstance their defence team will be killed by one attack.

Take into consideration what this does in terms of points. This player may be worth a lot less. However, because points are really a proportion of the alliance’s health bar, it just ‘redistributes’ points to the other teams.

If you’re in a free for all alliance (no wave or farming strategy), then avoid them until they are the last one standing to reset the board.

If you’re using a farming or wave strategy (taking out the ‘weakest’), then leave them out. Take them out for the flip.

That’s all that comes to mind.

Oddly enough, I am seeing more of this lately.:thinking:

2 Likes

after he misses 2 wars it will automatically opt him out… there’s another option for you

1 Like