Why are the no African American male characters?

Yeah, I don’t care about the cosmetics. What bothers me is people acting like it was a big slight and oppressive in some way. That’s the real tragedy.

I don’t know. They might need some caffeine. I’m still waiting for the argument to come up that diversity curbs artisitic creativity and freedom.

2 Likes

Ok im out of sweet and low but high on laughing gas. Lol

Nobody’s acting slighted.

It was a thoughtful discussiom that encouraged wider viewpoint. No special snowflakes. Just us fans of the game saying stuff.

There is wayyy more vitriol elsewhere…, people not getting value for their gems or some such

2 Likes

As said before > Bane

I didn’t grow up with the guy, or research his family tree, but… i guess nonwhite = good enough?

(Sigh)

2 Likes

Bane, who you suggest is “Not so caucasian” (:flushed:), is your argument that the game has a hero base that is diverse enough for you? Okay.

3 Likes

Nonwhite and nonyellow means what to you? Green/blue/red humans?

Enjoyed the discussion but it has officially jumped the shark. :slight_smile:

Peace out!

1 Like

If I failed to fully communicate my point, through all of my excessive replies, then it is my fault and I should feel ashamed.

I will hang my head in sorrow and never reply to this thread again.

2 Likes

Latin decent is even more under represented. But how can we tell if say, someone like Lancelot isn’t spanish? Do we give them a pancho and sombrero? Cigar in their mouth? Would that be too much? That actually sounds like a really cool hero… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder how would this conversation go if the tables were turned

Maybe like the show on Netflix Luke Cage people of color were called racist for have an all black cast but movies with all white people isn’t racist

How about no matter what race you are we treat people EQUALLY and understanding that race right now in the world is a huge topic

Fun game all around for now

Diversity is reality in the world we live in we need to choose what we SAY & DO WISELY

If you’d like to know how that freakout would look, just Google “black Heimdall” and you can see how much people lost their minds when exactly one Norse god was cast as black (let alone an all black cast).

1 Like

@Perilin , I’m all for diversity, the more the merrier. Sorry for coming forward as argumentative. I hope @DoctorStrange gets the hero type he would like to see.

4 Likes

As many of the people arguing against the OP, and further calls for diversity keep saying that they aren’t actually against diversity, I wonder if it’s not just the tired old “anti-social justice” bandwagon. Because at some point defending the status quo became very important.

I say that because the comment further above jokingly calling a person “it” is tolerated (fictional character or not, that’s awful), but you know, asking to have more characters identifiable as PoC is apparently something to rail against.

3 Likes

Don’t want to put wood on a fire, but i don’t recall many black guys in “The lord of the rings”, the epitome of fantasy stories.

Is Tolkien racist?

Probably so. Definitely sexist. And he seemed pretty anti-progress/anti-technology too. I still enjoy his works. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t problematic.

5 Likes

I mean… maybe.

I love Tolkien’s works. I read LOTR many times. I liked the movies.

But the guy did live in the early 1900s when racism was an entirely different thing than it is today.

By modern standards… yeah I’m sure it’s possible he’s racist.

I really don’t know that, but I’m sure it’s possible

" potentially racist element in Middle-Earth is that the majority of the men who serve Sauron are the dark-skinned peoples of the Easterlings and Southrons. They come from the South and East of Middle-Earth, corresponding with Asia and Africa in the loose connection between Middle-Earth geography and that of the real world. T"

6 Likes

@Perilin How am I against the OP when all I am saying that EQUALITY across the board is always fair and I have nothing to do with calling a person it that wasn’t me

Mate, I get why you are asking, but maybe it’s for the same reason that there are not any Australian ‘Bushranger’ heroes. We are a minority in terms of % in the game. I agree it would be awesome to have African American heroes. And I just know that Ned Kelly and Captain Thunderbolt and Ben Hall would kick absolute ■■■■!

But, in relative terms, we are a small proportion of the players in this game that appears to be most popular in Russia, Europe and (yes), middle USA.

Now, you will correctly point out that many of the mythical heroes from Ancient Greek, Egyptian, Asian, European, British, Norse, and Persian cultures are well represented, but come from countries that are a small proportion of the overall E&P community. I don’t have an answer to that, beyond that those legends and legendary heroes are so dominant in our popular consciousness that they ‘travel’ between countries and cultures.

Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but, out of interest… who are the African American heroes that we should be seeing in the game? And what would their powers be? It would be both fun and educational to know!

I apologise if I have misunderstood your original question, maybe you were requesting something more direct… like a character with dark(er) skin that isn’t a stereotype - if that is the case, ignore my long-winded post.