War Matchmaking Issue -- Proposed Solutions (Developer response: post 107)

If it was just the 6 biggest players, we never should have had that match.

As for total alliance score… we have 21 members but only 11 opted into wars. So we had a higher titan and trophy score than our last opponent (who only had I believe 13 total members, 11 opted in to wars). However… the only reason our total trophy score was higher was because we have more members. They had like 4 or 5 players in diamond, we only had 1 in diamond.

Wars are supposed to be based on the top 30 heroes of each participating war member, extra emphasis on their 5 strongest heroes (assuming that those will probably be on their defense team), then adjusted by the win/loss ratio. The win/loss ratio is what is killing me.

It wouldn’t be fair to count my entire alliance’s score towards war matchmaking, as half of my alliance doesn’t participate in wars. Of course an alliance with 21 members is going to have a higher titan score than an alliance with 13. But if only 11 of each are opted in to wars, those are the only members whose team powers should count. Otherwise I would have to make opting into wars mandatory for the entire alliance, and several of my members would not appreciate that at all.

I agree with you and it was also a point discussed earlier, this link between the scoring of the alliance with the war score does not work well, players change alliances, alliances fall apart, merge, alliances divide, as you mentioned, not everyone participates, titan or wars, many others participate only in one of the wars, I think this condition of linking these data causes brutal errors, it has already been widely discussed here and I hope that changes are made in this direction.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Any news on the progress in this @mhalttu ?

1 Like

it’s seems not enough data has been cumulated, or am i wrong? it’s some time ago though.

It’s been there for at least a month or two, and seems to be working well.

6 Likes

@mhalttu Did you do any more A/B testing or changes to the “cool off period” recently? I remember a few wars ago (11/14/20 and possibly last war as well) where we did not match up with the opponent we should have, considering all current rules to my knowledge.

1 Like

We haven’t made changes to the logic since my last communication. A few weeks ago I just double-checked that the war results still looked healthy. Of course, I can’t rule out the chance of a new bug.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for the reponse.
On 11/14/20 we got Crew-Saders as war opponents but according to the displayed war score we should have met someone else.

I’ll keep an eye on it and report back when I see it happening again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok thx for the reply @mhalttu. But why does it still say here,

that the war score is calculated by the past performance of the alliance in war instead of the past performance of the individual in war?

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. We’ll get it updated.

4 Likes

Hi @mhalttu,

So i presume it will be implemented in the next version. I can’t find it the release notes for version 34.

Kind regards.

It’s fixed in English but we couldn’t get it translated in time for v34.

5 Likes

thx @mhalttu ,

case closed then.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Is there any way a feature could be added to limit the number of times in a row an alliance faces an uneven player count in War?

This is our third week Ina row where we are facing a team with an extra player, and both if the last wars we’ve lost, with at least one of them being a loss in total score, but should have been a win going by points per flag. Not sure how common this is, but it’s new to us and our alliance.

Thanks.

2 Likes

This has still never happened to me in over 2 years of warring in multiple alliances (has happened to a few of our opponents, when their own players left the alliance before the war and were listed as “ex-members”).

I’m sorry to ask, but are you absolutely sure that nobody in your alliance left or opted out after matchmaking?

I am certainly not suggesting that it’s impossible. Several people on here have posted about experiencing the same issue. And majority of forum responses have been something along the lines of “oh well if you’re not in a full 30 v. 30 alliance, or if your alliance has several members of different levels, it’s probably hard for the matchmaking system to find suitable matches for you…”

I have to call bull :poop: on that. I have been in so many wars, from 1 v. 1 to 3 v. 3, 7 v. 7 to 13 v. 13 and everything in between, 27 v. 27 to 30 v. 30. Every single time, the game was able to find another team with an equal number of opted in players for us to fight against.

Not that the wars were always fair; been in several where the opponents outright overpowered our teams, and also vice versa. My point is that the excuse that “there aren’t any other teams with exactly X number of warring members” does not fly with me. There are at minimum tens of thousands of alliances in this game. They don’t all have exactly 30 warring members. I think there are more than enough alliances to be able to find somewhat even matches for almost any alliance most of the time.

In my alliance, we’ve been matched against alliances with 1 more team 2x in the last 3 months. It does happen. Once it was 25 vs. 26, and the other time 26 vs. 27 I think. We are a pretty stable alliance and would know if someone left after matchmaking, so it does happen.

1 Like

I do believe it happens. Several people on here have reported it. I was just wondering if maybe people in their own alliances were leaving to cause the discrepancy? IMO it should never happen, but I suppose that it probably has to happen to someone’s alliance… if there is an odd number of alliances with exactly the same number of warring members, one of them is going to have to be matched against an alliance that is either +/- 1 member…

Though when that does happen, I think the alliance that is short a member should be given something to compensate for it. Not sure how that could work to make it fair…

Perhaps adding a “dummy defense” team to the shorted alliance that is essentially a carbon copy of that alliance’s most mid-level defense, then giving 6 extra war flags to the shorted alliance as well… though I’m not sure how they could fairly distribute those flags.

UPDATE:

Hah! “Matchmaking strikes again” indeed. Just checked our alliance war.

While both teams have the same number of players (13 v. 13), opponent’s team only has one player below 4k TP whereas we have 7 teams below 4k. Their top 3 are higher TP than our highest level.

Good times!

1 Like