Trials of Strength - first impressions

I got through with a 4/26 Grimm
3/50 Valen
4/20 Sumitomo
3/60 Boldtusk
3/1 Lancelot

Had to scorch earth the final level with bombs, arrows and mana potions, and barely survived the bosses, but it is possible with the right equipment and favourable boards.

1 Like

Somehow I made the incredible feat of beating the last level (without revives) with this poopoo less than 3k team:

Missing item is the 225HP health potion
Yeah Ik Grimm is malnourished, heā€™s the best I had though

The first stage was a joke, and the second stage was still a total cake walk. So you could imagine my suprise at how hard the last one was. Such a dramatic jump in difficulty I felt like like I was playing a different.

I used four out of my five time stops. I used them whenever Elena or Azlar got uncomfortably close to full mana. Definitely wouldnt of been possible w/o them since I donā€™t have G.Panther to dispell Elenaā€™s buff and BT only heals moderately.

Gretel was as important as the timestops, I only had so many of them but needed to keep Elena at bay. Made sure to fire her off when LJā€™s mana slow down was inactive or not enough.

This fight took more time and concentration than usual for me to get through efficently. Could partially be because I didnt like my board for most of the boss fight though.

I did not understand the concept of this quest about the classes when I had entered the first stage. Out of my hero rooster only 3 of my heroes were allowed to be selected for battle. Needless to say, the powered at 1114 together, got my butt handed back to me on a silver platter. :frowning: I am needing to have to learn more about the class leveling. I am 70 years old, but feeling as if Iā€™m 20 again when playing this game.

4 Likes

As a retired senior myself I can say that itā€™s keeping my brain cells active!

When I retired I knew I wanted to study and learn something. I never dreamed it would be a mobile game :rofl:

4 Likes

Ha! There is never any age discrimination in Empires & Puzzles. Everyone gets their butt handed to them. Be Boldtusk, not Oldtusk! :laughing:

3 Likes

Fortunately thereā€™s a lot written about the classes already. Look in the #player-guides section.

Thereā€™s a lot of players in your position: maybe 20ish good heroes but with a lopsided distribution among the classes. My alt is going to struggle on any of the trials with monks.

1 Like

Ok after reading ask the replies after my previous post I thought I would give it a go anyway.

I only have 5 heroes eligible for the challenge so no decision needed as to who I take. I had
Obakan at 2 / 60
Valen at 3 / 50
Zudak at 3 / 40
Ragnhild at 3 / 40
Azar at 1 / 1 completely unlevelled
Total team strength 2073
The first round was a doddle, used 2 minor health potions in the boss fight but it really wasnā€™t hard at all
Didnā€™t bother trying the second stage, no point. But at least I got 8 emblems.

@Ggbarnum If you donā€™t try, youā€™ll never know. Have a go!

1 Like

I almost lost to the reviveā€¦

The last of the three bosses was nearing her death and I was like ā€œok, letā€™s drop everything on her and sheā€™s goneā€ā€¦

Aaaaaand she came back with full mana. Now, that was a huge oopsie. I took a huge hit, but finished her off. Still, if she revived 2nd time with full mana, Iā€™d be totally dead :smiley: (yea, I know itā€™s impossible after revive with 1hp)

Thats what i did and walked through. Glad to fortunately have exactly 2 of each class maxed when classes revealed!

Like others have said, I will echo it was an interesting and fresh challenge to put together a team within the class restrictions, and once again use heroes that normally donā€™t get much use (any moreā€¦). With some 80% of heroes off the table give or take, depending on distribution, I think weā€™ll end up with an even deeper bench for these quests than we need for AW! To me, this breathes new life into the game (not that it was lacking before).

I think I was fairly lucky to have a team of almost 3700 power, with 2 5* on it (all of them fully maxed):

• Gormek - Magni - Boldtusk - Obakan - Little John

For sure I will not fair equally well within many other classes. But itā€™ll be fun and interesting!

Hearing how some of you beat the hard stage with teams closer to 3000 TP is impressive, I have to admit that while I did beat the level in 1 try, it was just barelyā€¦ left with only Little John standing with not much more than 50 health. Once Elenaā€™s reflect fired (and all bosses alive so no place to ghost), I was in trouble with no disspellerā€¦ and I also hadnā€™t chosen my battle items very wisely. Iā€™ll allow myself one excuse for all of this, it was very early in the morning and I hadnā€™t had any coffee yet. :coffee: :grin:

Looking forward to the next oneā€¦

3 Likes

I like the concept. What shocked me the most was how weak/imbalanced my roster is, at least with respect to this particular trial. Whereas overall I have a Defense team at TP 3426 and have 6 maxed 4* at 4-70 each, plus a dozen or so 3* at 3-50, for this trial I was forced to use the following:

-Nashgar 3-50
-Raghnild 3-40
-Valen 2-5
-Boldtusk 1-1
-Rudolph 1-1

for a whopping total Team Power of 1800-something. I think 1835 (Iā€™ve since leveled some of them.)

Easy and medium were doable, but Iā€™m not even trying the 4000-rated one with a team of 1866 currently. Even with Time Stops, Dragon Attacks, Revive Scrolls I would rather save the flags & frustration.

What astonishes me the most is that Iā€™ve worked really hard to build a decent roster. I was able to beat Santa Advanced and Pirates Legendary without any 5* heroes. And yet Iā€™m completely unequipped for this one, whereas many posters are saying it was easy.

Again, I think the concept of the trials is great, but I guess my roster is just really imbalanced.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the new quest. What a weird combo I had using 2 Boldtusks, a Misandra Valen, and Grimm!

A lot depends on your board and your available heroes and how they synergize. It IS very hard for a lot of lvl 30-40 players. I know several that had to try 3+ times to beat it.

I had a similar feeling to you - but then Azlar fired off and I didnā€™t have a healer and I didnā€™t bring 'dotes (I hadnā€™t read anything prior and just played for fun with arrows/bombs/mana/axes) so had I not had the right gems on the board, I could well have died off in 2-3 turns. Or maybe I could have heavy spammed the arrows/axes/bombs and just washed up that way.

The truth is the final boardā€™s difficulty is extremely variable with a lot of things - including RNG - influencing that heavily.

I autoplayed all 3 levels even though some heroes were only partially leveled. Definitely was expecting it to be harderā€¦ I can see the last level being tough if you only have 3 heroes though.

Level 29.6666666 here. Did the first two with full 3* team. Only had to use a couple axes on the last level to clear the bosses. I donā€™t have 4* to use in these classesā€¦yet!

1 Like

I was lucky with my available heroes and had a reasonable cakewalk, not needing items. BT, Magni, GM, Delilah, Grimm, all maxed. Iā€™d have been better off tactically if Iā€™d had the sense to take antidotes though. As it was I had to concentrate on wiping Azlar first at the end of the final stage and got a bit knocked about by Elenaā€™s riposte before I could nail her too.

So after reading here that many people beat the stages with teams really below the advertised power, I went ahead and tried the middle stage with my alt accountā€™s team of less than 2400 and no healer, only 3* (but all maxed at least). Was able to beat it without too much trouble, using a couple items but nothing more than the cheap antidotes, mana potions and some arrows and axes. Wouldnā€™t have thought that was possible with an 1100 TP deficit, and I hadnā€™t planned on even trying it before. So Iā€™m glad people shared their experience here. :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t think that was a bad effort, but thatā€™s nothing compared to @AdrianW2008ā€™s success with a 1800 teamā€¦ now that is really impressive, I think. Well done! :crossed_swords:

1 Like

I managed it with a 2990 team of maxed BT, Gormek, LJ, Valen and Azar. Only used a couple axes. But this will be one of my stronger teams. Canā€™t wait for shadowsā€¦Guess Sabina gets a crash leveling course.

Monks and clerics have been very common as warriors and generals until almost 1900s.