How to help our volunteer moderators

Volunteer

( [Essay, Community Content] Why I donate my blood, sweat and tears )

Power

On many forums, moderators can significantly alter and/ or delete topics and replies.

Finding good moderators is hard.

Authority

Mods have a level of authority, that other users do not.

If a new user asks how best to do X, it may take several days of discussion.

If a Mod replies with answer Y, right or wrong, the discussion will often stop.

This is bad for complex, hard topics but awesome for common, easy topic ( farming, Wanted elemental monster mission chest, titan loot tier, buildings needed for legendary training, etc. )

Reference section

SGG has not set up a reference section, but this is usually the second most fun part of being a mod.

@zephyr1 Beta Beat comes closest to it but does not have its own sub forum.

Marketing/ Legal

Often volunteer mods can say things staff is barred from saying due to marketing, and legal, departments.

Deniability

Mods can ask Devs questions, and paraphrase the response, giving the Devs deniability.

This is both the best, and worst, part of being a volunteer mod.

Especially when the Devs tell you something you are not allowed to pass on to other players. Usually discipline actions.

Mod Team

This.

As a forum mod in another game, you will be in alliance chat and a teammate will pop then let you know the alliance recruitment sub forum blew up in with a small group flaming each other every minute.

So forum mods often feel they need to put in time to help out the team.

There is a reason SGG staff have stealth account and public accounts.

Hobby

In my experience, chat and forum moderating is like a second hobby in addition to playing Empires.

Volunteer mods are like parents who participate in bake sales and school fund raisers while Staff are like the administration that fights for the yearly budget.

Forum team

Just like alliance co leaders, mods and staff, can get into arguments as much as they help each other out.

It really reminds me of the dynamics of an alliance and depending on the people involved, just as much work.

8 Likes